Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
(slight return)
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been riding the monocog for almost 2 years now and have slowly been replacing parts as they've worn out, or sometimes just for the hell of it. With the new Easton carbon bars and Thomson stem, I finally have it just about where I want it ( it still has the original frame, fork, headset(!) and crank arms.) Here's a few pics of my 2 year old.

-slide

·
(slight return)
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cycledelic said:
Nice pics, slide. Pushing the setback on that seat, eh? Made me laugh seeing the redwood tree pic - the B-17 junction has been backdrop for my bike shots, too!
Well, well, who's this in the singlespeed forum? Heard you were converting the Fango, that's going to be a nice ss if you can stop riding that sweet new blur.

Have the seat back as far as it will go, since I usually ride with the seatpost pretty low. There was an article in a recent mbaction where they were dissing people who did this. :thumbsup: I bent the rails on the previous seat so went with the Thomson setback and the ti rails.

It's dark down in those redwoods, and contrasty up at the end of Wagonwheel. Hard to get a good shot! Took most of those pics in my driveway after getting home. :)

-slide

·
(slight return)
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
baycat said:
Some nice additions Slide. How are you liking the new wheelset after some time on it?
Like em. Remember thinking they felt stiff and snappy when I first started riding them but now I take them for granted. Originally I wanted quiet hubs but ended up going with the Hopes. I am actually kinda digging the noise. Engagement is not 'instantaneous' but better than anything else I've had, good enough.

-slide

·
Registered
820 Posts
robcycle said:
Sweet bike :thumbsup:

Monocogs were so much hotter when they were done in flat colors :rolleyes:

-Rob.
Word! Every time I see pics like this, I kicks myself I didn't grab one of those frames and hide it in my closet, or something. Webcyclery even had an 06 flat green one for clearance for $149, not too long ago. Gaaahhhh! The gloss black ones are OK, but not like these....I loves my metallic copper D440, but there's something about a purpose built SS frame.

·
(slight return)
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
105millimetersofpleasure said:
Hey slide, were you pushin' that rig clockwise at Tamarancho on Sunday 'bout noon around the middle of the loop? Think I fondled you a bit while crossing paths. If it wasn't you, than some other lucky fellow.
lolz... Was that you riding ccw, 4th in a group of 5 just after one of the bridges on Wagonwheel? Can't say I saw you, but it's not often I get fondled. A couple people in your group looked vaguely familiar, think I know the guy riding last on the ss, was he from mtbr?

-slide

·
Registered
137 Posts
Slide - that bike is looking fly. it definitely makes my monocog (same model/year) look weak. its still stock, except for the seat and a mismatched set of disc brakes i found. V-brakes are a death wish near seattle....

·
WWYD?
1,592 Posts
Nice upgrades and pics Slide! That camera lets in a lot of light to get a bright shot like that in the redwoods. Your first post of the 'cog showed up the instant I responded to your comment on my thread. That was a truly LOL moment!

Jeff Jones was checking out my Monocog at the Biketoberfest. Totally made fun of the compliance of the front end, even with a King headset. He was comparing it to the Spaceframe. Ahh-what does he know! 'Cogs rule!

·
WNC Native
4,043 Posts
Looks sweet!

I've been deciding if I want to really upgrade mine (Same Color) or replace it with a Jabberwocky.

·
Uncle
4,380 Posts
That be us

slide mon said:
lolz... Was that you riding ccw, 4th in a group of 5 just after one of the bridges on Wagonwheel? Can't say I saw you, but it's not often I get fondled. A couple people in your group looked vaguely familiar, think I know the guy riding last on the ss, was he from mtbr?

-slide
That was ATBScott on the SS. We rode ~2/3 of the loop CW and then doubled back. Hope I didn't startle you too much. :yikes:

·
(slight return)
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey thanks for all the comments. I thought for sure I'd get flamed by someone for missing the point of the monocog, not washing it before taking the pics, or needing a little adjustment on the chain tension. Some day maybe it'll have a fox 29er fork, phil wood ti bb, a boone chainring and middleburn cranks (if that's possible), but for now I'm pretty psyched about it.

Re upgrading the frame, I really like the monocog geometry. I tried a couple other 29er ss's and nothing came close. Weight is the only downside. Re Jeff Jones dissing the monocog, that's a funny coincidence, we had spaghetti for dinner tonight. :D

-slide

p.s. Actually we had capellini..., not that I'd turn down a trade for one of Jones frames... :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.