Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
No good in rock gardens..
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was big in the mid 90's, with everything from bar ends to entire rims being anodised in your choice of colour (3D violet being my fave at the time.....). Then it went out of fashion and all of a sudden bike finishing kit and accessories got either very black or very silver.

I've noticed a few bits and pieces creeping back in that are colour anodised - lock on grip collars, the obligatory fork knobs, and now we have all sorts of ano bits and pieces on offer from bolt kits to bottom bracket cups to SRAM's coloured drivetrain bits.

So it seems that colourful kit is on the way back and I think that's a good thing. My own bike has a few bits and pieces of red on it - red ano grip collars, the red pad contact dials on the Juicy 7's, the rebound knob on the Lefty, red caps on the Lefty and RP23 valves and I've got a red Woodman seapost clamp on the way. That will about do it, I think.

So, what's your colour choice, if any, out of this latter day ano bling?

·
one more time
539 Posts
Recently went to the LBS to buy a new set of bars for the Nomad - wanted something wide and low so they showed me some Raceface Atlas...

Came in a load of different colours.... I had a brain explosion and got a new bar in ano red.

What was I thinking?

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I have a bit of a soft spot for Hope's gunsmoke. It brings a little colur on raw/stripped frames, as all of mine are, reflects different colours/hues in different lights and isn't as contrasty as black or silver.

·
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stylie said:
I think there is a market for it and it seems to be growing. So I would say that it is making a comback. Here is a cool link I found here on MTBR last Fall;

http://www.torontocycles.com/

They have a lot of cool looking anodized bits and parts that are, in my opinion, very reasonable
I want the Ti spork - in lavender. :p

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
i9 seems to claim brown anodize is hot,giant was the first co i saw but it seems like little accent pieces are color matched,deraileur hangers,front deraileur tabs(roadbike)headset spacers, seat clamps, waterbottle bolts,brake pad holders....

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Sideknob said:
Well it is a good colour. The Decepticons liked it way back when.... :D
LOL, brings back all those saturday mornings....

A friend of mine recently changed all his spoke nipples to purple anodized alloy nipples, looks good with his purple frame.
Me on the other hand, my avalanche is rocking a red anodized theme, looks good to me.

The LBS I worked for in the summer was selling / stocking more anodized / coloured stuff this year.

·
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
SteveUK said:
Hope had a go with brown and, in my opinion, it looked feckin' awful (mtbr link). "Bumsmoke" was one of the names considered...
Might work on the right coloured frame I guess....

I pimped my Rush with some red bits. Breaks up an otherwise rather dark bike.

·
No known cure
5,592 Posts
I've always pimped my ride with anno or tiodized bolts and components, but now that the bikes come color coordinated, and pimped from the factory, anno stuff is officially lame:p . My frame that will be here Monday will be pimped with with silver anno bits and pieces as an act of rebellion(I may go with Rasta though, before Megabikebrand does).

Just kidding, to each his own, but after thumbing through the latest edition of MBA at the market, I think 2010 is the year of the ugly bike.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's easy to get carried away with it, I ended up with this much red out of boredom and a need for tinkering with stuff. You can't see the full depth of my problem in this pic, but rest assured there isn't a single OEM bolt on this bike...

:eek:ut:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.