Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I've been riding an 07 Stump FSR comp for the last 3 years (the army green one), and in October 09 I managed to qualify on it for the 24 solo worlds in 2010. I've promised myself i'll aquire a lighter rig for the event, but the reality is i'll have trouble funding something high end (I'd love a 29er epic marathon). I'm wondering whether it would be worth spending 1/2 as much pimping my current platform, which fits like a glove. Currently, the stump (Medium, minus bottles and saddlebag) weighs in at just over 13 kg (= 29 lbs), with mavic 819 tubeless disc wheels (heavy but bombproof), and everything else stock as supplied (low end truvativ cranks, juicy 3 brakes etc).

My questions: given that the frame is limiting, what complete bike weights have others been able to achieve with this frameset?, and which bits should be my priority areas (i'm guessing wheels and cranks are top)? Ideally i'd like to knock it down to the 11.5 kg range (~25 lbs) but i just don't know if i'm being realistic.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Lighter Wheels, maybe Stan's 355s with double butted spokes and American Cycle hubs will knock a 1 lb off
replace rear cassette with XT or XTR with new chain
Light ghetto tubeless tires
Should get you down to 26lbs for less than $1000

·
Registered
626 Posts
langles said:
Hi all

I've been riding an 07 Stump FSR comp for the last 3 years (the army green one), and in October 09 I managed to qualify on it for the 24 solo worlds in 2010. I've promised myself i'll aquire a lighter rig for the event, but the reality is i'll have trouble funding something high end (I'd love a 29er epic marathon). I'm wondering whether it would be worth spending 1/2 as much pimping my current platform, which fits like a glove. Currently, the stump (Medium, minus bottles and saddlebag) weighs in at just over 13 kg (= 29 lbs), with mavic 819 tubeless disc wheels (heavy but bombproof), and everything else stock as supplied (low end truvativ cranks, juicy 3 brakes etc).

My questions: given that the frame is limiting, what complete bike weights have others been able to achieve with this frameset?, and which bits should be my priority areas (i'm guessing wheels and cranks are top)? Ideally i'd like to knock it down to the 11.5 kg range (~25 lbs) but i just don't know if i'm being realistic.

Cheers

Dave
I had mine to 24.5 --- and it was very much trail worthy --

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lambdamaster said:
4lbs is easy... post your spec list
Frame and shocks aside, this is what i've been running;

Spec alloy 2014 bars + alloy stem
Avid Juicy 5 brakes and levers (not 3 as stated initially)
Shim LX front derailleur
SRAM X-9 rear derailleur
SRAM X-7 shift levers
Sim HG50 cassette 11/34
Truvativ Stylo 2pc cranks/GXP BB
Shim M520 spd pedals
Mavic 819 rims on Shimano? hubs
Maxxis crossmark tubeless rear
Maxxis Rendez tuveless front
CrMol railed saddle

Suggestions?

[QUOTE diver160651; I had mine to 24.5 --- and it was very much trail worthy --

Thanks for that, good to see!

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
langles said:
Frame and shocks aside, this is what i've been running;

Spec alloy 2014 bars + alloy stem
Avid Juicy 5 brakes and levers (not 3 as stated initially)
Shim LX front derailleur
SRAM X-9 rear derailleur
SRAM X-7 shift levers
Sim HG50 cassette 11/34
Truvativ Stylo 2pc cranks/GXP BB
Shim M520 spd pedals
Mavic 819 rims on Shimano? hubs
Maxxis crossmark tubeless rear
Maxxis Rendez tuveless front
CrMol railed saddle

Suggestions?

[QUOTE diver160651; I had mine to 24.5 --- and it was very much trail worthy --

Thanks for that, good to see!
to start, some lightweight tires like schwalbe roro/rara
sram 11-32T PG980 cassette
1600g wheelset which will run $400-$500
easton monkeylite bars
bontrager xxx lite grips

you can get a lot of specific help in the weight weenies forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
louisssss said:
Bicycle wheel warehouse had DT Swiss 4.2D wheels + XCR hubs for around $400, 1580g
also what front fork do you have?
Front fork = Fox Float 120 RL. Can you suggest a lighter one with remote lockout?

Yes, will have a look at the weight weenies segment. Don't want to go crazy though. The 2010 Worlds course (Mt Stromlo) is fairly brutal. I'd hate to DNF due to a mechanical.

BTW, i'm 70 kg (150 lbs), and haven't managed to pretzel any wheels yet (obviously not trying hard enough). Apart from snapping a bolt in the rear suspension assembly, all else has run smoothly, and i've periodically had the shocks serviced.

Heartening to know it might well be worth pimping what is a sound platform rather than simply replacing all. Might get a few years out of the old girl yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
langles said:
Front fork = Fox Float 120 RL. Can you suggest a lighter one with remote lockout?
no sorry i can't suggest any forks that are worth the money just purely for weight saving benefits.

If you're willing to go rigid, there are carbon forks that are lighter. But you prob don't want that.

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
louisssss said:
no sorry i can't suggest any forks that are worth the money just purely for weight saving benefits.

If you're willing to go rigid, there are carbon forks that are lighter. But you prob don't want that.
I'd like to see a bike with 120mm rear travel and a rigid fork.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 07 model too with a few changes. For example:

-Grips: Scott racing light. They only weight 16g beside more than 90 grams that weights the stock grips. About 15$ and 75 grams less...

-Quick releases: KCNC. Good, cheap, light weight (45 grams vs more than 100 of the stock ones) and cool.

-Seat clamp: The most you like. I have a Carbon ti. You can save about 30 grams.

-Seat post: I have a Thomson Masterpiece, but take also a look to the KCNC. (190 vs 145 grams)

-Saddle: I have the Rotor SD1, 135 grams. Take a look too to the Saevid, it only weights 80 grams

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lambdamaster said:
if you give me a budget, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with an exact list, with projected weight savings. Are the parts you listed above all the non-stock components??
Budget approx US$2K. Wheels aside, the parts listed came with the bike, so I would call them stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.