Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
There's always the train ....

Double check this, but I believe they have permanently opened the road to bike traffic, so you can just ride down that.

However, based on your tagline ... why do you not want to do Barr Trail?

·
DHMTBR.com
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong in my request - I am not looking for pavement or a trail - I am looking for a trail system other than Barr Trail because as most around here know that in May/June BT is packed to the hilt with hikers, runners and tourists!

·
DHMTBR.com
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Madd Slacker, that may be - what I am hearing is that Elk Park is a good alternative for the top and there is supposed to be an alternate near the bottom to avoid a lot of the foot traffic - but Barr might be the ticket for the middle section.

But then, that's why I posted this, to get some feedback form folks that may have already ridden it.

·
Almost Human
2,925 Posts
Thanks Madd Slacker, that may be - what I am hearing is that Elk Park is a good alternative for the top and there is supposed to be an alternate near the bottom to avoid a lot of the foot traffic - but Barr might be the ticket for the middle section.

But then, that's why I posted this, to get some feedback form folks that may have already ridden it.
Have you tried Strava?

·
insert sarcasm here
332 Posts
Yeah Barr should be totally doable, I'm planning on riding it myself in July or August. Seems you will probably want to hit it on a weekday morning to avoid most hiker traffic. I'd say burning a vacation day is worth it for 6k+ of descending!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
908 Posts
Just FYI..

Even without the foot traffic this trail is NOT a MTB trail. There are a LOT of sections that you will not be able to ride as it is not designed to have to wheels go over it. Mainly near the top 3 miles and first 1000', you will be on and off your bike for some time. It gets better once you hit tree-line but still has some sections you will have to hike over.

Having done it once, I would not do it a second time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just FYI..

Even without the foot traffic this trail is NOT a MTB trail. There are a LOT of sections that you will not be able to ride as it is not designed to have to wheels go over it. Mainly near the top 3 miles and first 1000', you will be on and off your bike for some time. It gets better once you hit tree-line but still has some sections you will have to hike over.

Nonsense... its a rad trail. Only ridden on a hard tail, and look forward to riding on a full suspension. Its why mountain bikes were invented... 100% rideable? Nope, but nothing worth riding is...

·
Candlestick Maker
3,679 Posts
Just FYI..

Having done it once, I'd do it again. There isn't that much hike-a-bike. I would absolutely go on a weekday, though.

For other options, you could drop the road to Elk Park and head down that way. Also, somewhere a bit after Barr Camp you can get off of the main trail and take some side trail (Long's?) and end up on the Ute Trail. This avoids the bottom of Barr Trail, which is the most heavily used portion.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Just FYI..

almost all of it is rideable, you just gotta have the skill set and a good bike. Mt Elbert is another good one.

·
Not the Cat in the Hat!
417 Posts
Elk Park is a great alternative to the top of Barr. I've done both trail sections and I think Elk is more fun and flowey. There are some sections at the very top of Barr trail that are more frustrating than fun. I would say the first 2 miles of the top of Barr are 60% rideable, but be ready to be on and off the bike.

Elk park is all rideable with some great views, flow and some techie sections (not many). It connects to Barr camp/trail so the mid section of your ride will be at Barr, no matter what. But there are a couple shoot off trails before you get to the "incline". Explore strava for some of them and plan your route.

Either way, coming down Barr all the way is also very fun as long as you pick a day w/out much foot traffic.

good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
It's Colorado - we can get Snow any time of the year - I have been on top of the Collegiates in July and been significantly snowed on!
Well, snowed on and snowed in aren't necessarily the same thing. I mean in May and until at least late June, typically there is still quite a bit of snow still on the ground making the trail impassable. Since Pikes doesn't get a lot of snow compared to a lot of other ranges and it's also wind blown it opens up earlier than a lot of high alpine areas, but still, that seems pretty early to be riding a bike on the Barr trail. When does the road usually open?

·
Not the Cat in the Hat!
417 Posts
If its open, I will also love to join you on either of the two routes. Willing to pitch in for gas and the highway toll. If you have openings, just post the actual date and will go if time permits.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.