Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching around for ways of lowering a Pike while retaining the use of the U-turn adjustment. I have read about both just cutting a Pike spring down or using a Psylo Spring/rod. I was wondering though if it would work using a Duke spring/rod? What parts would be necessary? The 63mm-108mm travel of the Duke setup would be ideal for what I am trying to accomplish. Any help is appreciated.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
XJGPN said:
I have been searching around for ways of lowering a Pike while retaining the use of the U-turn adjustment. I have read about both just cutting a Pike spring down or using a Psylo Spring/rod. I was wondering though if it would work using a Duke spring/rod? What parts would be necessary? The 63mm-108mm travel of the Duke setup would be ideal for what I am trying to accomplish. Any help is appreciated.
sorry, can't tell you since I've never modified a pike... but man, that would be a bangin' little fork, 63-108 u-turn.... man, they should have done that with the Argyle in the first place, that way it wouldn't be so tall.

but, in theory, using a duke coil seems like it would make for a soft fork... but who knows?
give it a try and let us know what happens. :thumbsup:
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
fiddy_ryder said:
it would need the same top cap size and rod that the pike has, and i dont see why RS would make the forks that didnt use similar hardware. why not order up a duke spring and try it? couldnt be mroe than $30...
wasn't the duke pre-sram redesigns though? but if you said psylo works... hmmm, might be worth a shot, could be a trick for the books and end up that RS has a fork on their hands that they didn't even know they offered, the Pigyle, haha. or since using part of the duke, would it end up as the "PUKE" fork? "hey, have you puked your pike yet? man, it's sick!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
wasn't the duke pre-sram redesigns though? but if you said psylo works... hmmm, might be worth a shot, could be a trick for the books and end up that RS has a fork on their hands that they didn't even know they offered, the Pigyle, haha. or since using part of the duke, would it end up as the "PUKE" fork? "hey, have you puked your pike yet? man, it's sick!"
Id rather tell people im riding a Dike :thumbsup:
 

·
Just Ride
Joined
·
1,015 Posts
it wont work. the stanchions are differnt sizes so the top cap wont fit. you cant really replace the top cap either cause its pinched by the spring so you'd need to un do that then secure it back on again. it may be possible with a old psylo spring but that wouldnt accomplish a whole lot. i'm not famliar with how it attaches at the bottom either so yeah, a psylo one may not even work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
References to psylo spring in a pike:

Post # 10 in:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169448

Post #13 in:
http://www.hcor.net/posts23394-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&

Post #5 in:
http://www.hcor.net/posts21122-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&

Post #2 in:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=100654

So I'm feeling pretty confident that the psylo spring works... but like I said.. I'd ideally be able to use the range in travel adjustment from a Duke... I'll figure out a way to do it... just a matter of time. Thanks for the help! any any more would of course be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Pretty sure the Psylo's and same generation Dukes were 32mm, I'll look at the one I got at home.

Pure speculation on my part but I would think with the Pike having 140mm travel, it has slightly longer stanchion tubes. There's probably a limit to how low you can go before the stanchions bottom out in the base of the lowers. What that limit is, I have no idea.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
Kosk said:
Pretty sure the Psylo's and same generation Dukes were 32mm, I'll look at the one I got at home.

Pure speculation on my part but I would think with the Pike having 140mm travel, it has slightly longer stanchion tubes. There's probably a limit to how low you can go before the stanchions bottom out in the base of the lowers. What that limit is, I have no idea.
fiddy_ryder on here had his down to 65mm no probs... no u-turn function anymore, but seemed satisfied with a solid short fork, and didn't mention of premature bottoming on stanchions... but I can see what you are saying... and I thought the same thing about the later generation psylo and duke outer dia. as well, but I can't verify...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
121 Posts
zerossix said:
the top cap wont fit. you cant really replace the top cap either cause its pinched by the spring so you'd need to un do that then secure it back on again.
Im really thinking about trying this, one of my friends at sram said it might be posible. the bottom of the all uturn springs are bolted through the bottom of the fork leg. I think I might try it, I have a spare pike spring laying arround so I might try taking off the top cap to see what happens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
That's cool to here it working.

I just pick up an '07 426, stoked.

I'm confused on the 30 vs 32 now too, i'm gonna check the old psylo i have in the garage tonight just to settle it. I thought it was 32, but everything I can find says 30.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kosk said:
Pretty sure the Psylo's and same generation Dukes were 32mm, I'll look at the one I got at home.

Pure speculation on my part but I would think with the Pike having 140mm travel, it has slightly longer stanchion tubes. There's probably a limit to how low you can go before the stanchions bottom out in the base of the lowers. What that limit is, I have no idea.
Wow, very cool, let me know about the 32mm.... as for the travel issue... the compressed length should be similiar, you just have more overlap at the lower travel settings..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure if anyone else tried it yet, but I ordered a Duke U-turn spring last night, so I should be able to see if it works in about a week or so when it comes in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
snaky69 said:
It just won't. The stanchion diameters are different and it will cause it to just move around in there not doing much.
I am hoping that if it isn't just a drop in mod I can combine pieces from both to make it work... we'll see... worst comes to worst I lose $40 and some of my time... I noticed your sig is for Nemesis Project Cycles... what happened to that website? I've been wanting to check it out because another option that might work for me is just a slammed Z.1... but I need some more info on them.
 

·
I post too much.
Joined
·
6,445 Posts
XJGPN said:
I am hoping that if it isn't just a drop in mod I can combine pieces from both to make it work... we'll see... worst comes to worst I lose $40 and some of my time... I noticed your sig is for Nemesis Project Cycles... what happened to that website? I've been wanting to check it out because another option that might work for me is just a slammed Z.1... but I need some more info on them.
I can tell you pretty much all you need to know about them. I'll shoot you a PM. The website is down because some hacker went at it. It should be back by sea otter according to [email protected]
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top