Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Differences.

mattbryant2 said:
What are the benefits of either fork?
The Pike has a much better travel adjust system and more adjustments in general. I had a 04 Sherman Firefly and it was a good tough fork but with the spv it felt a little bit harsh. I also didnt like the fact that either I had to run full travel or no travel and nothing inbetween with the flick switch. Bouncing on the handlebars to change travel settings is not fun either. Especially when you are running a stiff spring.

With the Pike you can run anywhere from 95 to 140mm and still have some plushness on the shorter travel setting. The Flick feels harsh on the short setting with no plushness imo.

For straight up freeriding I would probably give the nod to the Flick as it is already a proven performer in this arena and can handle the hits.

Pike wins trailriding and Flick wins freeriding imo. A lot of guys are freeriding with the Pike but I have not hucked with it so I cant say it is better than the Flick in this aspect. I do know that the stock springs in the Pike are very soft and bottom very easily if you weigh over 150lbs.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have quite the same dilemma, but I think I will go with the Pike. The reasons:

-I have just one bike, and I wanna make it versatile (street, dirt, FR). For street and dirt the Pike is very good in the 95mm option. I have heard that the Shermans are not good at the lower travel settings.
-cheaper
-a bit lighter and a bit lower stack height
-the Pike's through axle solution (I can't remember its name) is more convinient
-more adjustable

Of course the Flick is a good fork too, it would handle the big jumps better maybe, and it would be more stable on DH.

Coldfire

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Coldfire said:
-the Pike's through axle solution (I can't remember its name) is more convinient
-more adjustable
Maxle is the name and yes it is very nice. Never ridden a Flick but been very happy with my Pike so far.

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
i had the smae delema and went with teh sherman. if you have teh right spring rate and it adjusted properly it is an extremely good fork.i decided to go with the sherman because i tested out the pike and found it to be a bit flexy imo

choose the flick if you intend on riding freeride dh dj and some trails

choose the pike if you plan on ridin dj slalom trails and light dh or freeride

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
I have been runnin the pike pretty hard for the last 2 weekends of trail riding. and so far so good. It does seem a slight bit flexier than the sherman, but it feels like it is built a bit better. The damping is waaaaay more adjustable that the flick. I can clear my 2.7 intense tires where as the sherman can barely handle a 2.5 of the same tire. I really dig the rapid travel adjust. works super good. Dunno how it will hold up in the long run, but i got it mainly for dirt jumping and street, so it doesnt need to be super stout. But i threw it off a couple small road gaps out at post canyon, did the road gap at falls city, the big hip at falls city, the big a$$ 8-20 foot step down drop out at post canyon, and a couple 15+ foot doubles and it worked well, as long as i had the compression fairly open. if you slow it down too much it cant handle the sutter bumps too well. found this out after brusing a few ribs when they came in contact with a stump after a 5 footer out at post canyon. good time Pike race, good fork. I don't regret at all going from the flick to the pike, even if it is a rock shox.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts