Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
getting my pikes early for my frame build and was wondering if i could turn them down and fit them to my xc hardtail. i hope to get my new full sus frame in about 2 months so it is only short term. my original forks are lousy so i would dig a better fork till i change over.
would i damage the forks riding them turned down all the time?
i am gonna fit the new shorter stem and riser bar and was also thinking of riding the forks at 110mm or more. basicaly just playing around with geometry etc till the frame arrives.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Ride it at whatever height you want, it ain't no stinkin Manitou!:p

You won't hurt it at all.

JMH

juan pablo said:
getting my pikes early for my frame build and was wondering if i could turn them down and fit them to my xc hardtail. i hope to get my new full sus frame in about 2 months so it is only short term. my original forks are lousy so i would dig a better fork till i change over.
i am gonna fit the new shorter stem and riser bar and was also thinking of riding the forks at 110mm or more. basicaly just playing around with geometry etc till the frame arrives.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
juan pablo said:
The mechanism which lowers the fork, simply reduces the size of the air chambers, so no damage will occur riding it lowered. You can also go a bit lower than 110mm by adding extra air to the negative chamber. No harm will be done. A buddy of mine who runs PIKE air u-turn on his DJ bike has it set really low and has had is set really low for a long time and the fork has taken severe abuse and the mechanism works perfectly well.

_MK

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the update MK, once again answering my questions.
still dont know if i can afford the air u-turn option and may need to buy the coil version. hope it will still be ok in this situation. but i am stoked to be able to fit and have fun so long. if i remember for my previous searching there is a 426 air u-turn which might be closer to my budget and i think there is minimal difference to the 454.

·
Registered
5 Posts
juan pablo said:
still dont know if i can afford the air u-turn option and may need to buy the coil version. hope it will still be ok in this situation. but i am stoked to be able to fit and have fun so long. if i remember for my previous searching there is a 426 air u-turn which might be closer to my budget and i think there is minimal difference to the 454.
The only difference between the 454 anf the 426 is the weight. Both have all 3 options (dual air, air u turn or coil u turn) available.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
juan pablo said:
I run a coil U-Turn on my DJ bike turned down to minimum, 95mm. The way that system works is there is a thingamajig into which the spring threads. When you turn the U-Turn you effectively screw the spring in or out of that element. Regardless of your extension setting, the system works the same. No worries breaking that neither.

_MK

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the piece of mind boys

i will check the price of the 426 air u-turn and if too costly i will settle for the coil u-turn.
cant wait to ride it.

big up

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Save your money, buy a coil version.

I have owned both versions, I would get the coil if I were you. It's so much simpler and feels better too, plus it goes down to 95mm which is a pretty significant improvement on the air spring min of 115mm.

Get the air if you are only concerned about weight.

JMH

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback JMH best to get word from people who have tried the options being compared
need to be reasonable whith weight concerns versas cost etc. i am chipping in a bit extra to get the 454 coil set which is a little lighter but to put in another bunch of dosh to get the airs is not practicle if not significantly justified and i love durability. so the coils sound spot on.
i am 85kg, how does the spring set up work? do i get one standard set o springs and then buy a specific set to match a specific weight target?

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I prefer the 426 version. It has steel steer tube versus aluminum, solid crown versus hollow. At weight difference of about ~0.5lbs.

At 85kg (~190lbs), you will need to upgrade the stock med coil spring to firm or x-firm. Will cost you $30 USD extra. You will be bottoming Pike coil for sure with your weight. Rider weighing 160lbs or more quite frequently complain about their Pike coil bottoming. I do not have that issue since I weigh 155lbs. Perhaps you should look into Pike air u-turn to fine tune to your body weight but it wont be as plush and a2c height at lowest travel setting will be taller.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers for the feedback dog
i'll look into the 426, it will be cheaper anyways. if i remember the 426 air costs the same as the 454 coil. i do like the sound of the coil though, for durability and good feedback. i want something reliable and performs. i dont look to replace and upgrade if not neccessary.
i'll take your advice and order the spring same time as i order the fork. i got a week to decide befor i call the lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.