Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Pike Team has the lightest build out of the three models but I continually see the Team on 4 cross bikes and on bikes with freeride builds.

My question is, how is the lighter version of the Pike holding up. People keep recommending the Race or SL because it is made stronger but the like I already stated, I keep seeing the Team on freeride bikes.

Anyone care to comment.

Thanks.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The only way to know if the steel steerer and solid crown are actually stronger is to see Sram's fatigue and failure testing data. Without that, you don't know squat. It would not be hard to make a steel tube which is weaker than an alu tube and still weigh more, so simply quoting the material is not really diagnostic. Plus it is possible that the stanchions would snap off the crown long before the crown or steerer give way, or the fork could just rip the head tube off your bike and remain undamaged itself. Who knows. A solid crown has more material and so would be stronger, but is this really a matter of adding needed beef, or just reduced manufacturing cost?

Zoke went from a steel steerer on their 04 150mm FR models to an alu steerer in 05. It saved weight and Zoke obviously thought it was plenty beefy. But without the engineering data you just don't know.

I have not heard of any catastrophic Pike failures from any of the flavors.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One case of a broken Pike Team. I found this on the reviews section for the Pike Team. If the Pike is going to break, the U brace is more than likely where it will fail. In RS defence, they sent the rider a new beefier brace. It would probably take a lot to break the aluminum steerer tube.

Submitted by Keith a Racer from Vacaville
Date Reviewed: 4/20/2005 8:20:45 PM
Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
Purchased At: Rays Cycle
Strengths: Easy to adjust
Super Plush
The blow off adjustment on the lockout is cool because it can be set up fairly light.

Weaknesses: Broke the first pair after about an hour of riding. If you hava a pair check the U brace if it has waffling that goes all the way to the lowers be careful mine broke there.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't know about the Team model , but the SL and Race models have really thick steel steer tubes, I mean REALLY thick. I would never expect it to break there.

I'm skeptical of the review where the guy said he broke the arch, that's what he's refering to right?

The arch on the Pike lowers is pretty damn beefy. I can't imagine it breaking there unless he managed to get a serious defect. Either that or he's a troll, who knows.

I wonder just how hollow the hollow crown is. Most of the weight savings in the team are obviously from the steer tube. Alloy steer tubes can be half the weight of aluminum ones. Even then there isn't that much weight being saved. I certainly couldn't notice the difference of .25lbs.

Marzocchi was smart to switch to Aluminum tubes for their FR forks. They are so damn reliable and require such infrequent maintenance, that people tend to forget about the rusting steel steer tube that's hidden in there. You're always guaranteed the alloy one won't rust away. Zoke's alloy tubes have LOTS of butting in the crown race area, which is good for strength (even the 66 uses it) but pretty much ensures you can't use a standard fender on it, not enough room.

Just to be safe, I would only "freeride" on the SL and Race models, unless you weigh under 150 lbs. It really has a lot to do with how light you are. I'm sure a 120lb guy could Freeride a Fox fork for ever and not snap it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the guy says he broke the arch. It could be a defect. RS looked after him either way. The reason I brought this up is because I can get a good deal on a Pike Team that has been bought but never used and I would use the Team if I build up a frame. The other bike I am interested in already has a Pike SL on it. I weigh 215lbs or close.

Anyways, I was thinking that maybe even with the Aluminum/hollow steerer or whatever, the Team is still a sturdy shock. Lots of riders are using the Team on their aggressive type bikes and this is the only failure I have heard of thus far and it wasnt even the crown or steerer. Go figure? The weight savings is minimal, so how much weaker can the Team be?

I guess only RS knows this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.