Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
that pike can handle as much as the 36, maybe less maybe more and why 100mm could be unconfortable is because the front of the bike might be low so you lean foward more causing more strees on your hands and rist. The pike should work well for drops about 8 ft Dependsing on style and rider and so on.

·
40 Posts
Patience Grasshopper.......

You should do some of your own research on the Pike (google or search mtbr) and 1/2 your question will be ansered. Pike is adjustable from 95mm to 140mm of travel. The other half of your question can be answered by looking at what sort of travel + fork a 2003 Stinky came with....

The 2003/2004 Stinky is designed for around a 6" fork (150mm) but lots of folks run 5" (130mm) to 7" (170mm) forks on them. A 5" fork makes it a nice trailbike and a 7" fork makes it more of a DH bike as the head angle relaxes with increased travel.

A 100mm fork (4") would probably make the head angle too steep and it would be way to nervous, so the original comment regarding the Pike prob meant don't reduce the travel too much from the max and it will be ok.

From looking at your prior posts, you really need to start using google, the mtbr search functions, and thinking for yourself a bit to have many of your questions answered. I wasted my time to see what other kinds of stuff you have posted in the past, and I discovered you have a 2003 Stinky with a 5" JrT fork (must be like a 2000 model fork or so??) and you have been on the eternal quest to determine what fork to put on it.

Most folks seem to consider the Pike to be a damn good, cheap, light, adjustable and strong fork. If you want an adjustable and freerideable trailbike, then the Stinky + Pike would be an affordable option. If you want a DH / Extreme freeride platform, then you should consider something like a Super T (I think Bobbie Bourdon ran this setup on a 6" Stinky for his early RedBull Rampages and did well). If you can't up the $$ for a Super T, then a Jr T will be very similar, but if you DH race it the damping system will tear up your wrists. For both freeride and DH, you'll problably notice the capabilities (or limitations) of the front fork before you need to worry about upgrading the 6" rear to more travel.

·
Registered
629 Posts
haxormachine said:

You should do some of your own research on the Pike (google or search mtbr) and 1/2 your question will be ansered. Pike is adjustable from 95mm to 140mm of travel. The other half of your question can be answered by looking at what sort of travel + fork a 2003 Stinky came with....

The 2003/2004 Stinky is designed for around a 6" fork (150mm) but lots of folks run 5" (130mm) to 7" (170mm) forks on them. A 5" fork makes it a nice trailbike and a 7" fork makes it more of a DH bike as the head angle relaxes with increased travel.

A 100mm fork (4") would probably make the head angle too steep and it would be way to nervous, so the original comment regarding the Pike prob meant don't reduce the travel too much from the max and it will be ok.

From looking at your prior posts, you really need to start using google, the mtbr search functions, and thinking for yourself a bit to have many of your questions answered. I wasted my time to see what other kinds of stuff you have posted in the past, and I discovered you have a 2003 Stinky with a 5" JrT fork (must be like a 2000 model fork or so??) and you have been on the eternal quest to determine what fork to put on it.

Most folks seem to consider the Pike to be a damn good, cheap, light, adjustable and strong fork. If you want an adjustable and freerideable trailbike, then the Stinky + Pike would be an affordable option. If you want a DH / Extreme freeride platform, then you should consider something like a Super T (I think Bobbie Bourdon ran this setup on a 6" Stinky for his early RedBull Rampages and did well). If you can't up the $$ for a Super T, then a Jr T will be very similar, but if you DH race it the damping system will tear up your wrists. For both freeride and DH, you'll problably notice the capabilities (or limitations) of the front fork before you need to worry about upgrading the 6" rear to more travel.
Word

If your hucking large, you dont want it
If your riding trails, it'll be sweet

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haxormachine said:

i have a 03 junior t 2

·
40 Posts
Go with the 2003 Jr T if you already have it.

crazyfreerider said:
i have a 03 junior t 2
Then you already have a decent 7" dual crown, so just go with that for a huck/DH fork and eventually find a Super-T/Z.1 HSCV cartridge to put in one of the legs. Look back thru the forum, but there's a good bit of info on converting Jr T's to Super T's with a HSCV. If you don't want 7", then I think you can get them reduced to 6".....or I can trade you my old 2001 6" Jr T with tons of DH runs on it off my 6" Schwinn ;)

I'd only consider a Pike on your Stinky if you want lots of adjustability and will be happy with a max of 140mm travel. With a 7" Jr/Super T you should be able to huck larger than your sphincter will allow.....

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
haxormachine said:
Then you already have a decent 7" dual crown, so just go with that for a huck/DH fork and eventually find a Super-T/Z.1 HSCV cartridge to put in one of the legs. Look back thru the forum, but there's a good bit of info on converting Jr T's to Super T's with a HSCV. If you don't want 7", then I think you can get them reduced to 6".....or I can trade you my old 2001 6" Jr T with tons of DH runs on it off my 6" Schwinn ;)

I'd only consider a Pike on your Stinky if you want lots of adjustability and will be happy with a max of 140mm travel. With a 7" Jr/Super T you should be able to huck larger than your sphincter will allow.....
i'd get it and use it as a trail fork, then when i wanna huck, put on the jr T....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haxormachine said:

its a 5 inch fork

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
The Pike will be just fine for you. It won't be ideal for super huge drops like others have already said, however for the average freeride type stuff as well as any sort of trail riding it'll do just fine. :)

·
40 Posts
5" 2003 Jr T?

crazyfreerider said:
its a 5 inch fork
Marzocchi site says that 2003 Jr T's were 7" forks....I think I've heard of folks reducing them to 6", but never heard of one in 5". Perhaps it's either older than you think or larger than 5".

If you go with a Pike you will need to build a 20mm front wheelset as well. Keep that in mind as it will up the upgrade costs. I'm considering a Pike for my 6" bike and everything I've seen so far makes me think it's a bargain for a light freeride fork.

·
Registered
223 Posts
haxormachine said:
Marzocchi site says that 2003 Jr T's were 7" forks....I think I've heard of folks reducing them to 6", but never heard of one in 5". Perhaps it's either older than you think or larger than 5".

If you go with a Pike you will need to build a 20mm front wheelset as well. Keep that in mind as it will up the upgrade costs. I'm considering a Pike for my 6" bike and everything I've seen so far makes me think it's a bargain for a light freeride fork.
Many Canadian 2003 Stinky's came speced with a 5" Jr. T - actually an older model fork slapped on in place of the single crown that shipped elsewhere.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haxormachine said:

Its not on the websit its a junior t2 with a 20mm thru axle you cant buy them from anywhere they put them on the stinky to make it more like the dee-lux

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.