Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to put a stiffer spring in my pike, I weigh 200 pounds and do a lot of freeriding, jumps etc. For the style riding I am doing should I go with the extra stiff or just the stiff. Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
I weigh about 220 lbs and tried an x-firm and found it too stiff - never got near full travel. I don't do massive jumps/drops though. Firm feels perfect for me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i would say depends on how much sag you have and how often you bottom your fork out

if you always bottom it out then yh for sure coz you dont want to damage the internal when you do some slieghly bigger stuff than you normally do

its depends on your style of riding really

+ its also depends on the weight of your bike etc
coz my mate have a .243 frame and some heavy stuff on it wif pike forks(firm spring), he weight less than 70kg, it was perfect for him and he still bottom out his on some harsh ride

·
Registered
171 Posts
well i weigh 215lbs (97.7 kg) and my bike is all stock except for a raceface bash guard and straitline pedals. I like to ride all-mountain/freeride. I would like to do some drops and jumps here and there. I don't think I would ever go higher than a 5 foot drop and even that might be pushing it. Just wanted to know if a stiff spring or a x-stiff spring would be better for me?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Go extra stiff i'm about 210 and use all the travel on jumps and drops. i find the fork still tracks the ground well i imagine the spring is progressive.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi guys! I am also changing the spring with x-firm. The thing is that my LBS is quite far away and i have to arrange by phone a day to go to replace my spring plus i have to pay of course.
I was wondering if any of you repalced it yourself?!
How hard is it ?

·
cougarbait
1,783 Posts
not hard at all. I replaced the one in the dartSL on the sette but it is the same for the pike.
Undo top cap, pull spring out, insert new spring, screw cap back on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was always thinking that when undoing the top cap a lot of small thingies that have to be put in exact order will fall out,hehe :eek:)
And I guess i should add some lube to the new spring too,right ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just a regular silicone/teflon based grease just brush the spring with it. When i pulled the original spring out it just seemed to be oiled rather than greased.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ok, so i did it. Thanks a bunch=! However when i opened the fork, the spring inside looked the same as the one i was about to put. There is a plastic wrap in the middle that was black. Only the plunger helix was white. On the new spring both are black.
The fork feels stiffer now but maybe i am deluding myself. Any suggestions ?!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Usually just a stripe of paint on the spring, look at your old one can be hard to spot but will be there. should be black for x-firm and red for standard (med)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts