Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I know I have been posting alot. Im gonna do a complete rebuild on my rc solo air and I was reading the service manual and it talks about a rebound tune by switching the stack. Im guessing I have the medium stock tune. I am gonna put the upgraded debon air spring in as well. Reason I am asking is I ride long rough downhill and when I am flying thru rock gardens my arms feel like they are gonna fall off its so stiff. I have two tokens in, any less and I bottom out at 30% sag on hard hits. Would changing my shims to the soft rebound tune help make my bike more plush at the recomended 90psi air setting? Im 210lbs, 220 with gear am I too big for a soft rebound tune? This thing is so harsh and I have read all the posts about it. Is a rebuild and upgrading the air spring maybe gonna help the harshness? I was maybe thinking of getting a mrp ramp cartridge.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I'd just do the lowers service & air spring. See how it feels then. It's easy enough to drop the lowers if you need to get into it again.

That way you can see how it feels fresh & with the new air spring. Give you a better idea of what you want to change with the new setup.

·
Read Only
2,101 Posts
The soft rebound stack is far too light for you, it is suited for more like <50psi or sub 60kg. Where is your rebound adjuster set to currently? The debonair spring and service is highly recommended, what travel have you got?

Most of the talk about harsh pikes is blown way out of proportion or misunderstood so don’t read too much in to them.

Next, forget sag and just set your pressure on how it rides. Fork sag is next to impossible to set accurately so it’s fairly meaningless. I would remove the tokens and bump up the pressure instead, especially once you have the debonair spring in. Everyone assumes that if a fork is harsh you need to make it softer but that isn’t always the case

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The soft rebound stack is far too light for you, it is suited for more like <50psi or sub 60kg. Where is your rebound adjuster set to currently? The debonair spring and service is highly recommended, what travel have you got?

Most of the talk about harsh pikes is blown way out of proportion or misunderstood so don't read too much in to them.

Next, forget sag and just set your pressure on how it rides. Fork sag is next to impossible to set accurately so it's fairly meaningless. I would remove the tokens and bump up the pressure instead, especially once you have the debonair spring in. Everyone assumes that if a fork is harsh you need to make it softer but that isn't always the case
Alright I wont touch the stack. I went with rock shocks recomended setting 90psi with 7 clicks from the turtle I think. So i will do a full rebuild since i have everything to do it and leave the stack alone and remove my tokens and probably have to run a higher pressure so i dont bottom out. The only time my pike bothers me is when im bombing a rocky run like bakers tank in breck my front shock jars me. I did a bottom service a while ago and changed my 150 to a 160 but it was the old style air spring which was a bit cheap in my opinion. This is on my v2 bronson. I also decided to go rear coil shock since im bigger, i want a dhx2 but got a really good deal on a x fusion vector hlr for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.