Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the new owner of a Pike RCT3 SoloAir 160mm 27.5. I have the rebound set pretty well for larger drops/impacts but the small bump sensitivity is very acute/stiff. I feel every small rock on the trail. I can't find any manual or guide that explains the different adjustments on the fork. Should I be messing with the low speed dial on the top right? I'm hope the wealth of knowledge here will give me some guidence.
Thanks

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
Out of the box, the pike is very linear.

If you set the air pressure high enough to avoid bottom-out on big landings, it will also probably feel harsh in the beginning of the stroke.

First of all, what is your sag percentage?

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
The low speed dial on the top of the damper affect the LSC when the fork is set to the platform(middle) mode.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My sag is around 15% and the first 7ish mm are extremely loose. When I pull up, I can feel fork extent all the way out. I thought my headset was loose but that's another issue.

·
Registered
553 Posts
15% is crazy. You should be looking at 30%. As sheepo stated, the pike seems very linear out of the box. You should put in a couple of bottomless tokens which reduce the volume of the air spring making it less linear/more progressive. This means you can run less air and get the supple initial stroke before it ramps up at the end of its stroke to avoid bottoming out. I believe that the pikes come with some tokens installed or some in the box.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I set the psi to the recommended amount for my weight. That must be way too much. Two tokens came with the fork. I wonder if there are tokens all ready installed stock?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
You can also look into shortening the top out bumber that sits underneath the main air piston. On older solo air forks, it's a bit too long, so it is compressed quite a bit before the fork reaches the positive/negative air chamber equalizer notch. Cut it to 2/3 of original lenght, and you'll have plush heaven. Or replace it with a couple fat o-rings, so you can go back if you don't like it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yea, while they are good guidelines, the recommended pressures shouldn't be taken as gospel. Start at the recommended and let out air until you have 50mm of sag. Make sure to cycle the fork while doing this though, the solo air has to be fully extended to equalize the pressure between the top and bottom chambers.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I wouldn't even say the recommended PSI on the fork leg is a "good" guideline...
Set the fork up by sag, ~25% for more XC and ~30% for more DH, and do your adjustments for whatever in between. I run mine at 27%, because the bulk of my ride is climbing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, I'll try and set my sag percentage to around 27ish percent and see if the small bumps are absorbed better. Should that be in a seated position or in my "bombs away" position?
Do you guys like the overall small bump compliance of the Pike?

·
Registered
684 Posts
The low speed dial on the top of the damper affect the LSC when the fork is set to the platform(middle) mode.
FYI, This is incorrect.
Check out any of the YouTube videos that Sram/rockshox have about the Pike.

The LSC dial adjusts for when the damper in the fully open position.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Great, I'll try and set my sag percentage to around 27ish percent and see if the small bumps are absorbed better. Should that be in a seated position or in my "bombs away" position?
Do you guys like the overall small bump compliance of the Pike?
I'm on the page of tuning/setting a fork for the position you'll be in the majority of the time. On a DH bike, def attack (bombs away) position. But I set up my trail bikes in the seated position...as a compromise between attack and climbing.

Here's try this. Set your sag w/ everything wide open and 2 tokens in the air chamber. Then, close down both your rebound and LSC 45% from wide open w/ your HSC/3-position dial in the open mode. Then, go for a ride or three. I know 45% may seem like a lot, but give it a chance. I have a feeling you'll be pretty close to ideal at about 40 to 45%. If you need to open things up, do it one click at a time. Report back w/ your results.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
The rebound knob only controls low speed rebound - has zero effect on high speed events like large drops and impacts (set internally - not user adjustable). The Pike works best with the rebound set very fast for best performance over quick stutter bumps. I played around with them a ton and find that going low in air pressure just gives the fork a dead feel with no significant improvement in small bump suppleness. Use decent air pressure with 4-6 clicks low speed compression and only 4 clicks rebound and you'll get best results. I've never seen a fork that compromises small bump sensitivity so much by simply dialing in any amount of rebound so it took me a while to figure it out!

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I set the psi to the recommended amount for my weight. That must be way too much. Two tokens came with the fork. I wonder if there are tokens all ready installed stock?
Most shock pumps are wildly inaccurate so don't trust the psi reading on the gauge. You can take 3 brand new Rock Shox pumps out of their boxes and they could easily vary by 20 psi.
Use sag to set up your suspension!

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Okay. I'll give it a try. "Wide open" meaning fast rebound?
Yes, fast rebound, and soft compression. Just use this to set sag. Once you have established the proper sag and air pressure, then dial in that 40 - 45% damping on both.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
that sucker needs more lube already
This statement may not be entirely false... There are reports that some Pikes have been bone dry out of the box. I had thought mine was all good. But after dropping the lowers to do the 150 to 160 upgrade and putting in motor oil, I had to up my air pressure 20psi to get it to settle at the proper sag. And OMFG was my fork smoother!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
This statement may not be entirely false... There are reports that some Pikes have been bone dry out of the box. I had thought mine was all good. But after dropping the lowers to do the 150 to 160 upgrade and putting in motor oil, I had to up my air pressure 20psi to get it to settle at the proper sag. And OMFG was my fork smoother!

The damper side of my Pike was bone dry. I couldn't even Q-tip any oil out! Luckily the seals has enough slickoleum that my fork survived a few rides before I opened it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
The damper side of my Pike was bone dry. I couldn't even Q-tip any oil out! Luckily the seals has enough slickoleum that my fork survived a few rides before I opened it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's the side that calls for only 5ml of oil. I also have it on good authority you really want to follow the published amounts, 'less you might burst the rubber bladder. This is the other consideration to go full Avy open bath cart. IIRC the spring side calls for 30ml (or was it 15)?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts