Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PIKE Air U-turn with a few rides on it. A couple things concern me.
1) When changing/adjusting the air pressures oil spurts out of the shrader valve tops. Is this normal?

2) When testing the fork it makes a sound like air is escaping. The feel of the fork does not change, but the "air releasing" sound continues every time I compress the fork.

3) I am running much lower pressures than recommended to get proper sag and feel. I know the fork is new and it could be do to the break-in period.

I wasn't concerned at first but then I rode my friends PIKE coil and it felt way better than mine.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I am 185 lbs and like the beginning of the travel to be very plush.

Thanks,
TIM

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
1) it is normal for a little bit of oil to come out.....to reduce the amount on the negative air side, flip the bike and let it sit for a couple of minutes before connecting the pump...

2) the sound is likely the oil going through the compression assembly...sounds like "swoosh"

3) the RS recommended pressures are very high......

keep playing with positive and negative to get it to feel how you like.... I tend to use 5 psi less negative than positive...

·
on my 3rd wind...
1,827 Posts
I own both version of Pike...coil and air. Though air version is pretty dang plush, it will never feel as plush or have same buttery "coil" feel no matter how you tune the pos and neg chamber.

I run mine 10-20 psi less than RS chart. And 5-10 psi less on neg side when compared to pos.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
When adding air to the negative chamber, I recommend adding until the point that you can see the upper tubes just barely starting to get pulled down into the lower tubes. This will give you more initial plushness and virtually have no effect on the travel at the other end of the stroke. Another suggestion is to not be obsessed with getting "full travel." Air springs are by nature more progressive and will ramp up near the end of the travel. Some riders get so obsessed with getting every last millimeter of travel on every ride that they end up wallowing around in midstroke and experiencing severe brake dive.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Try flipping the bike upside down the night before a ride. It seems like the oil in the foam seals seeps down into the lowers pretty easily, by putting it upside down the oil in the lowers will coat the stanchions and get back into the foam seals.

Seems like if I do this at least once a week it really makes a difference in the initial bump compliance. Also seems more critical as the weather gets colder.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
G-AIR said:
2) When testing the fork it makes a sound like air is escaping. The feel of the fork does not change, but the "air releasing" sound continues every time I compress the fork.
What others said in regards to pressures.

The symptom you mention and quoted above, is air actually coming off the left leg. Don't worry, it's only that the cartridge does not make a tight seal against the topcap and each time you compress the fork, the air (probably from the lower on that side) escapes.

Put some soapy water and compress the fork. If it bubbles, then you have said leak.

However, it doesn't affect at all the performance of the fork and the air cartridge is TOTALLY separated from this. Your air cartridge will still work properly and ride quality is not affected by other than the noise.

That said, don't turn the bike upside down or you can have semi bath oil leaking from there.

Is that a defect??? Uh, I don't know. If it bothers you, then call SRAM or the dealer you bought it from and see what they can do for you.

Mine does it, but I can't bother to send it back. Maybe someday...
The fork is plush like nothing else if you set it up properly.

Rock Climber is right... But just lift the bike so the front wheel ends up at your head's height and hold it there for a minute or so. Maybe more if your weather is cold.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a set of pike 454 air u-turns also. After 20miles from new there was a noticable spitting sound of air coming out of the top valve, even with the cap on. This was only when you pushed the forks down a couple of times, and of course lost a fair bit of air the first ride.

To solve it the top air valve was replaced with a new one by the shop i purchased them from and it fixed it. I don't know if this could be what you problem is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.