Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
5 inchavoes

claycooper said:
what is the correct oil height on a pike race coil? The service manual says 5" down, but it specifies that measurement at 115mm??? Is it 5" down at full extension?
I changed my oil on my 06 Pike air, even called RS to figure out the discrepency and went with the 5 inches height. Feels right riding it. I did put 115mm in there for the sake of just seeing the difference, and it did ramp up a bit quicker at the end of the stroke, making it quite hard to get full travel. RS service manual also said 120 cc's which brought the level to almost spot on 5 inches.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DGC said:
I changed my oil on my 06 Pike air, even called RS to figure out the discrepency and went with the 5 inches height. Feels right riding it. I did put 115mm in there for the sake of just seeing the difference, and it did ramp up a bit quicker at the end of the stroke, making it quite hard to get full travel. RS service manual also said 120 cc's which brought the level to almost spot on 5 inches.
we may be talking about different things...The service manual states 5" down, but to make the measurement with the fork adjusted to 115mm when measuring 5" down. This seems bogus, so I just wanted to see if the 5" measurement was supposed to be done at full 140mm extention. Sounds like it is though. I think they allow 5-10cc's of tolerance though, although I'm not sure. Anyone know the tolerance?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
sorry

claycooper said:
we may be talking about different things...The service manual states 5" down, but to make the measurement with the fork adjusted to 115mm when measuring 5" down. This seems bogus, so I just wanted to see if the 5" measurement was supposed to be done at full 140mm extention. Sounds like it is though. I think they allow 5-10cc's of tolerance though, although I'm not sure. Anyone know the tolerance?
Sorry about that, yes the 5 inches measurement down to the oil is while the fork is at full extension + full 140mm travel. I measure with normal air set up, so the air keeps the fork extended. The only tollerance they say is 120 cc's, +/- 5cc's.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
tscheezy said:
120cc +/-5. I always measure volumetrically to save my sanity.
I agree w/ tscheezy, go w/a syringe and measure the 120cc and save urself the headache and worry. Yes they say there's a 5cc+/- tolerance, but believe me 5cc can make a feelable difference. Tried the whole measure thign when I did my REBA and it really drove me batty, ended up picking it back down and measuring - the fork felt much better once I did that and had an accurate amount of oil in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LyNx said:
I agree w/ tscheezy, go w/a syringe and measure the 120cc and save urself the headache and worry. Yes they say there's a 5cc+/- tolerance, but believe me 5cc can make a feelable difference. Tried the whole measure thign when I did my REBA and it really drove me batty, ended up picking it back down and measuring - the fork felt much better once I did that and had an accurate amount of oil in there.
thanks for all the help. This is a new fork, so i'm just interested in measuring the initial oil height to make sure it came right from the factory. Don't really want to drain/refill the oil, plus I only have 7.5wt oil around, and I know the rockshox need 5 wt oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.