Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
just picked up a 2nd hand set of pikes.thet have a poploc which seems to switch the floodgate on and off(which is adjustabe).does that mean there is no compression dampening adjustment! reason i ask is i previously had revalations that had motion control but they had compression dampening aswell:confused:
thanks
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,224 Posts
markyboy said:
hi
just picked up a 2nd hand set of pikes.thet have a poploc which seems to switch the floodgate on and off(which is adjustabe).does that mean there is no compression dampening adjustment! reason i ask is i previously had revalations that had motion control but they had compression dampening aswell:confused:
thanks
It is a PIKE not PIKES unless you bought two forks.

The poplock does not turn the floodgate on and off. The floodgate setting is not changed when you engage the poplock. The poplock changes the compression dampening, shutting it off completely in the "locked" mode. So yes, there is a compression adjustment. If your poplock is the poplock adjust model, then you can set where the compression returns to when you "unlock" the fork.

The motion control in the Pikes (I use the plural because there are many models and years) and the pre-2009 revelations are the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek: i stand corrected.i realise they are called pike.but as forks are refered to as a set of forks does that not then become pikes:confused:
any way still dont understand how this fork has adjustable compression dampening.poploc seems to either loc or unlock when unlocked how do you adjust dampening:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Four ways to gain the compression adjust.
1) Replace the poploc lever with a poploc adjust lever.
2) Make a ghetto poploc adjust lever by using a friction shifter from an old mountain bike to pull the cable instead of a poploc lever.
3) Don't use a poploc lever at all. Take apart the Motion Control cartridge and remove the spring inside that makes it snap back. Then put an O-ring under the blue knob to make it stay put (not sure about the exact location for the O-ring, check the forums. This is a well-known mod).
4) Replace your poploc MoCo cartridge with a non-poploc cartridge.
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,224 Posts
markyboy said:
is this a mountainbike forum or an english grammar test!! everyone knows we speak funny in scotland.

i give up!
Sorry, it is easy for some of us (like me) to forget that this is an international forum sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
markyboy said:
is this a mountainbike forum or an english grammar test!! everyone knows we speak funny in scotland.

i give up!
usually i would be right there with you, against the school teachers - speak the way you want. but, i really dont get why some people call clearly singular nouns as thought they were plural. handle barS? its just A bar, what can possibly make a person think its more than one bar? the same goes to forks. its just one fork per bike. nothing plural about it.

also, i would have thought you to be an american. sounds right that a nation of people calling each other "dude", would name a singular thing plural.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
brake jack said:
By most people living in an Island called "Great Britain". Apparently there's a country there known as "England" and they seemingly put together the English language, but what do a Spanish speaking bloke like me knows?

As we're being anal about it, what about the use of some capitols after periods? That is not only correct but also helps a lot for reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,052 Posts
id one day like to publish a novel completely in lower case. :D

i dont see how it helps at all for reading. properly spacing and breaking up paragraphs, sure.. but the second word on in a sentence is always lower case and no one has a problem making that transition.

this thread is now about the english language!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
markyboy said:
you clearly know the english language,but do you know how my motion control works:D :D
well, lets give it a shot. i think you are mistaken when you say the push-lock controls the flood-gate. the fg is gold, and the compression knob is blue. the push-lock is connected to the compression knob, not to the flood-gate. so, turning the push-lock on and off engages or disengages the low speed compression, whereas the flood-gate controls the amount of the compression.

a lot of people here on mtbr say that the flood-gate also acts as high speed compression damping control. and that the blue compression knob is not merely an on/off switch, but also has a mid range. after fiddling a lot, and experimenting extensively, i think both claims are wrong. the blue knob engages and disengages low speed compression damping, and the golden knob controls the amount of this damping.

speaking of proper english - counter to general belief, both damping and dampening, are acceptable, regarding making something weaker.
 

·
ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,423 Posts
Warp said:
By most people living in an Island called "Great Britain". Apparently there's a country there known as "England" and they seemingly put together the English language, but what do a Spanish speaking bloke like me knows?
I have always been confused about that, in England they speak English which is what we speak ayy. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,224 Posts
brake jack said:
a lot of people here on mtbr say that the flood-gate also acts as high speed compression damping control. and that the blue compression knob is not merely an on/off switch, but also has a mid range. after fiddling a lot, and experimenting extensively, i think both claims are wrong. the blue knob engages and disengages low speed compression damping, and the golden knob controls the amount of this damping.
Here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1498056#poststop

That's how it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what i still dont get though is on my revalation with motion control the compression dampening is adjustable via the blue knob from open(no dampening)to fully closed which is when i believed the floodgate comes into play.as far as i can make out the poploc only lets the dampening be fully open or closed with blowoff being adjustable.i see you can get a n adjustable poploc which lets you adjust compression from unlock to lock on return from pushloc on? can this be done by tightening the cable to give you abit more dampening on return or am i getting totaly confused!!
 

·
Bicyclochondriac.
Joined
·
15,224 Posts
markyboy said:
what i still dont get though is on my revalation with motion control the compression dampening is adjustable via the blue knob from open(no dampening)to fully closed which is when i believed the floodgate comes into play.as far as i can make out the poploc only lets the dampening be fully open or closed with blowoff being adjustable.i see you can get a n adjustable poploc which lets you adjust compression from unlock to lock on return from pushloc on? can this be done by tightening the cable to give you abit more dampening on return or am i getting totaly confused!!
First, to be clear, all the poplock does is turn the blue compression to fully closed. On the poplock adjust, you can adjust where the blue knobs returns to when unlocked. The regular poplock that goes from full open to full closed seems a little silly to me.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top