Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
spinner
186 Posts
Sorry mate , I have nothing positive to add , but here goes anyway.

The flip lever was correctly aligned , you just didn't like it that way.

I hope for your sake that skinny bit of wire you are calling a shim doesn't damage the hub or the lower fork leg....or get squashed and allow the maxle to come loose.

20 meg for a 2 page PDF? Are you serious ? Would have been better off posting a few pics with an explanation of your method.

Sheesh...

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aloha Pinky,

Sorry you didn't find it useful. That's up to you. Some people just like things to be as they want it. So if you don't care, that's up to you.

I already apologized for the large size earlier. I knew there was a problem but am away from work so was not able to fix it. If it'll make you feel any better, it's now been fixed and reduced to approx 700K. If that's still not okay with you, I guess all I can say to you is sorry.

For the others that might find it useful, have at it. This is a forum and just an exchange of information. If you don't want to you use it, that's up to you. I'm not trying to sell you anything.

Sheeeeeeeeesh...........

http://www.cfht.hawaii.edu/~grant/forum/pike/pike_maxle.pdf

·
spinner
186 Posts
700k sounds a lot more like what most would expect from such a file. Sorry for coming down on you like that , but for those of us with a download limit , 20 meg is a fair whack and to also be disappointed with its contents is what made me get a bit surly. I agree , this is a public forum for the exchange of information , so heres something constructive from the surly one:

Have you considered machining a small amount off the spacers to achieve the same result with the flip lever ? Effectively narrowing the width of the hub by .25 of the thread pitch.

I dont have a thread gauge here to measure my maxle , but it looks to be roughly 2mm pitch or about 12 TPI (threads per inch). Based on this "guesstimate" , machining .25mm or approx. .010" from each spacer would narrow the hub by .5mm ( .020" )and allow your maxle to rotate an extra quarter of a turn from the flip lock being vertical whilst retaining the original interface between fork lowers and hub spacers.

A minor adjustment of the brake caliper and you're good to go.

Thats how I would do it , anyway.

(Imperial measurements added for all you Americans that can't get your heads around metric !) :p

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pinky said:
20 meg is a fair whack and to also be disappointed with its contents is what made me get a bit surly. I agree , this is a public forum for the exchange of information , so heres something constructive from the surly one:

:p
Point well taken. I knew there was a problem and apologized until I could address it. I am still sorry about that.

Pinky said:
Have you considered machining a small amount off the spacers to achieve the same result with the flip lever ? Effectively narrowing the width of the hub by .25 of the thread pitch.

:p
Yes, I did consider machining both the hub's flange and/or the maxle's flange. I wanted something that was easily adaptable. This allows more flexibility without ever changing the "off the shelf" parts. Spares are easier to find for that reason.

Thanks again for the input. Appreciate it.

aloha,
g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.