Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, you guys have talked me into the Pike instead of the Talus for my 5 spot, but which one do I want? I'll be running the DHX coil rear shock, so should I go coil fork also? My understanding from RS website is I have 3 options, Air, dual air or U turn. I want u turn because I want travel adjust, what is the difference between air and dual air though? I'm sorry to ask such stupid questions, but I'm out of the loop on bikes lately and so are all the shops in the Bay Area lately! I have trouble understanding what is what without touching it, and that doesn't seem to be an option. Also, is there a difference between 05 and 06, or can I save some $ and get an 05. Thanks for your patience.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
SF Jakey said:
OK, you guys have talked me into the Pike instead of the Talus for my 5 spot, but which one do I want? I'll be running the DHX coil rear shock, so should I go coil fork also? My understanding from RS website is I have 3 options, Air, dual air or U turn. I want u turn because I want travel adjust, what is the difference between air and dual air though? I'm sorry to ask such stupid questions, but I'm out of the loop on bikes lately and so are all the shops in the Bay Area lately! I have trouble understanding what is what without touching it, and that doesn't seem to be an option. Also, is there a difference between 05 and 06, or can I save some $ and get an 05. Thanks for your patience.
You'll hear arguments about air v. coil with pros & cons on both sides.
I prefer the coil although the air is the best air fork I've ridden.

Dual air has no u-turn so you either want air u-turn or coil u-turn.

Differences between 05 & 06 are minor. Try to avoid poplock unless you really like cluttering up your handlebar.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dual Air?

I currently ride a Talas on my spot and never adjust the travel so I am actually considering the Dual Air version. Folks have mentioned that you can reduce the travel (e.g. 140 -> 130) on the Pikes by increasing the negative air spring so you could potentially set up the A-C depending on the ride...Save weight and $ too.

My question is: Shouldn't decreasing the positive air spring to get more sag do the same thing? Which would give a plusher ride? Is there any advantage in performance with changing the internal spacers to get the 130mm travel instead? Obviously you would have to dissassemble the fork to go back and forth, but if the A-C at 130mm ends up being the sweet spot, then you could leave it that way.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LarsF said:
I currently ride a Talas on my spot and never adjust the travel so I am actually considering the Dual Air version. Folks have mentioned that you can reduce the travel (e.g. 140 -> 130) on the Pikes by increasing the negative air spring so you could potentially set up the A-C depending on the ride...Save weight and $ too.

My question is: Shouldn't decreasing the positive air spring to get more sag do the same thing? Which would give a plusher ride? Is there any advantage in performance with changing the internal spacers to get the 130mm travel instead? Obviously you would have to dissassemble the fork to go back and forth, but if the A-C at 130mm ends up being the sweet spot, then you could leave it that way.
That's my plan, i will let you know when the fork finally comes in.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
You'll hear arguments about air v. coil with pros & cons on both sides.
I prefer the coil although the air is the best air fork I've ridden.

Dual air has no u-turn so you either want air u-turn or coil u-turn.

Differences between 05 & 06 are minor. Try to avoid poplock unless you really like cluttering up your handlebar.
Just to clarify, RS didn't make a U-turn Air in 2005. Just Dual Air and Coil. So if you really want to save $$ and need travel adjust, you'll be looking at a 2005 U-turn coil.

To get Air U-turn you'll be dropping large $$ on an 2006. As Squeaky says, skip the Pop-lock, most reports say it's not needed and is prone to breakage.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
LarsF said:

You can install a spacer inside of the dual air to reduce the max extension to 130mm from 140mm. To my understanding you can reduce the travel further by increasing the pressure of the negative chamber.

As far as reducing positive pressure vs increasing negative pressure, your positive pressure controls the maximum force you can exert on the fork before it bottoms out, therefore you have to pressurize it correctly for your weight. You then increase the negative pressure until the fork feels good over the little stuff, or further, if you want to reduce the travel. As the fork compresses, the negative chamber enlarges so the pressure goes down and doesn't affect the fork very much, until it rebounds and the chamber shrinks and pressure goes up.

_MK

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for those 2 replies that helped me understand. I'm not sure about the hijack topic in the middle, though. If it was relevant, I must be too dumb to see how. I'll look for a 05 coil u turn then. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.