Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Pike back from the LBS yesterday and immediately knew something was wrong. I set it exactly how I previously had it (2 tokens, 65 psi, 13 clicks LSC, 7 clicks rebound comp.) and there was ZERO sag.
Took it for a ride thinking maybe it needed to break in, and it was un-rideable. Lowered the psi all the way down to 45, just to try, and it was better, but still not right.

So I took it back to the LBS today. They admitted this was the first new Pike they'd serviced, and said they'd look into it.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got my Pike back from the LBS yesterday and immediately knew something was wrong. I set it exactly how I previously had it (2 tokens, 65 psi, 13 clicks LSC, 7 clicks rebound comp.) and there was ZERO sag.
Took it for a ride thinking maybe it needed to break in, and it was un-rideable. Lowered the psi all the way down to 45, just to try, and it was better, but still not right.

So I took it back to the LBS today. They admitted this was the first new Pike they'd serviced, and said they'd look into it.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions?
I suggest going to a new bike shop :)

In all seriousness, the pike maintenance is not that hard, sounds like they probably used the wrong oil volume, which would decrease sag and make it ride funny. Should be an easy fix (unless you were having them overhaul a damper or something?).

·
Registered
676 Posts
With dual air forks, it was ok to throw some float fluid in there to keep the air chamber/piston lubed. But this stuff can prevent the air transfer in solo air forks.

Most likely, air isn't making the transfer to the negative chamber. Its an easy mistake to make, especially if you don't service a lot of forks. Its ok to use a grease like slick honey in there, but for some reason float fluid will clog the transfer.

Or the negative chamber is leaking for some reason. I doubt the damper is overfilled, because most shops probably don't have the charger bleed fitting yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. The thing about switching bike shops is these guys are the most reputable in town, and they've been doing great work for me. Hoping the mechanic was just having a bad day...

Marcus, you mentioned the bleed fitting. I believe they actually ordered that, since they expect to be doing more Pikes. I had to wait an extra week on something they ordered, that bleed fitting sounds familiar. Mine just happened to be the first one that came in for service.

Expecting to hear back from them today after they take another look at it. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got it back, and it feels just like it's supposed to. LBS said they put the wrong type of fluid in it. Seems the first source they checked called for a thicker fluid. They called RockShox and found out that source was incorrect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.