Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not wanting to jack likquids thread i started this one.

what do you guys think of the pike 454 u-turn with pop lock travel adj...i can pick one up for about 350$ brand new is it worth the deal

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Pop Lock doesn't adjust the travel. It can adjust the compression/lockout/whatever. And IMO, it just adds extra clutter to the bar. Great for the trails, not so great for street. If you remove the poplock, you more or less lose your ability to adjust the compression.

Dampening is terrific, but it is more of a trail fork. It is plusher than forks like the Gold Label or DJ.

Does 454 use the hollow crown and aluminum steerer? If so, I'd be wary. If you're lightweight, or not a real aggressive rider, you'll probably be okay.

If it were me, I'd look for a used SL or 426. Chromo steerer, solid crown, no stupid controls.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
oh man, the pop & loc is a score! Here's a sweet mod trick... you take the pop & loc cord and wrap it around the steerer as many times as possible... then, when you get some ups, you grab that sucker and yank like you're starting up a chainsaw and let go of the bars while in the air, equals instant triple bar-spin!
haha...
yeah, I'd listen to Will...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, so whats this 426 you speak of...i was looking through our lambert cycle catalog at work and didnt see anything other than the 454...i might look into the 426 when our 07 catalog arrives

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
I post too much.
6,445 Posts
free rider said:
this is the selection i have...i can order any of these forks at about 70% off retail...so i would like to stick with these...what is so great about the gold label? should i get one of those instead...with an msrp of 300-350 what makes em better than the pikes, or argyle

edit, link helps
http://www.cycleslambert.com/custom...w&section=3970&family=18587&mark=17695&page=1
My vote goes to the argyle then. It has just about the axle to crown height of the dj3 the norco was designed around, and it's meant to be dj'ed.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
The pike 454 should be fine, i know a guy that has broken 2 evil imperial frames and an evil sovereign, the pike 454 was on the last imperial. He cracked the bottom where the down tube and the head tube meet, but the pike 454 was fine.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
That's an o5. The first run of o5 Pikes had a bad arch design. It used a waffle pattern in a certain high stress area. SRAM appropriately recalled these lowers. The new arch uses a solid section in that area.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
That's an o5. The first run of o5 Pikes had a bad arch design. It used a waffle pattern in a certain high stress area. SRAM appropriately recalled these lowers. The new arch uses a solid section in that area.
yep, never seen a 06+ crack at the arch. only seen them with snapped steerer tubes. :skep: I would think the tube would bend first, like my stance :D its on its way to answer for an aliminum steerer.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
snaky69 said:
Your stance is broken again?
it never was broken. but yesterday I was hitting some new jumps, and completly 50/50 cased the jump, it bent my steerer tube a tiny bit. so I sent it into manitou. they're fixing it all for free.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Yeah, you'll see snapped steerers because people are using them for the wrong purpose. You can't expect a hollow crown and aluminum steerer to hold up to freeride abuse. Aluminum has a fatigue life. Aluminum also tends to just crack rather than bend. There have been fewer issues with the lower end models with the solid crown and steel steerer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.