Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally had the spot built and ready to go after a couple months of building and went to set the air pressure in my Pike 454 U-turn and found out it doesn't hold air. I called Sram and they ran me through a couple tests and told me to send it back for another. Man, brand new fork, got me kinda gun shy about Rock Shox for sure. I guess I will give it one more shot. Customer service seems alright, but down now for 2 weeks. I am on holiday break for a couple weeks and was planning on taking the spot down south for a little riding as we have snow here. Well, I guess it will be the Blur for this trip, which has a fox float, which is what I was going to get. I guess all things can have their problems from time to time so I'll give the Pike a second chance. Man how frustrating after being all fired up to get on the spot. Well , at least I got to sit on it for a while, lol. Man, the spot just feels like it's going to ROCK!

·
Registered
765 Posts
My reba was leaking air from the the positive into the negative chamber and getting stuck down. The lbs was out of rebuild kits, so I took all of the o-rings out and went down to my local hardware store. 4 bucks later and I had a new seal kit. It's been holding for 6 months now. Give it a shot. It might save you some time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
kendogg said:
My reba was leaking air from the the positive into the negative chamber and getting stuck down. The lbs was out of rebuild kits, so I took all of the o-rings out and went down to my local hardware store. 4 bucks later and I had a new seal kit. It's been holding for 6 months now. Give it a shot. It might save you some time.
BTW, none of the o-rings were metric, though all of the hardware was.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Yet another rider with a problem with leaking Pike/Reba/Rev air. I feel for ya, buddy, but not from personal experience because I'm one of the vast majority who has never had a problem with my Pike/3 Rebas/2 Revelations. Never, not once has any of them leaked any air at any time except maybe me being sloppy with my pump. Are you sure it's not the way you put on/take off your pump? This has been discussed a million times but (no offense to your pumping skilz) but sometimes it's your pump. Like you pump it up, lose a ton of air while you're taking the hose off, then lose a ton of air when you're putting it back on. Sheeit, you say, my fork is losing air!

Like I say, none of my Rockshox forks has ever lost any air, no matter how long they sit. I also have a Fox 32 100 RLC and it also doesn't lose air. In fact, neither do my three year old Manitou Skarebs. Just a lucky guy, I guess. Anybody in your area got a Pike you can borrow for your trip?

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
pelts79 said:
Well, I finally had the spot built and ready to go after a couple months of building and went to set the air pressure in my Pike 454 U-turn and found out it doesn't hold air. I called Sram and they ran me through a couple tests and told me to send it back for another. Man, brand new fork, got me kinda gun shy about Rock Shox for sure. I guess I will give it one more shot. Customer service seems alright, but down now for 2 weeks. I am on holiday break for a couple weeks and was planning on taking the spot down south for a little riding as we have snow here. Well, I guess it will be the Blur for this trip, which has a fox float, which is what I was going to get. I guess all things can have their problems from time to time so I'll give the Pike a second chance. Man how frustrating after being all fired up to get on the spot. Well , at least I got to sit on it for a while, lol. Man, the spot just feels like it's going to ROCK!
Swap forks?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xcguy said:
Yet another rider with a problem with leaking Pike/Reba/Rev air. I feel for ya, buddy, but not from personal experience because I'm one of the vast majority who has never had a problem with my Pike/3 Rebas/2 Revelations. Never, not once has any of them leaked any air at any time except maybe me being sloppy with my pump. Are you sure it's not the way you put on/take off your pump? This has been discussed a million times but (no offense to your pumping skilz) but sometimes it's your pump. Like you pump it up, lose a ton of air while you're taking the hose off, then lose a ton of air when you're putting it back on. Sheeit, you say, my fork is losing air!

Like I say, none of my Rockshox forks has ever lost any air, no matter how long they sit. I also have a Fox 32 100 RLC and it also doesn't lose air. In fact, neither do my three year old Manitou Skarebs. Just a lucky guy, I guess. Anybody in your area got a Pike you can borrow for your trip?
Well,I do know that it was not my air pumping skills, please. I have a full suspension bike and had it for quite a while. I'm not bashing Sram, I just know that the fork didn't hold air, period. You know it's like I own a Toyota and have never had a problem with it and someone I know has one and has nothing but trouble and tell them it's probably you because I have good luck with mine. I know mistakes happen, people make errors. I'm willing to take another chance with a Pike. I'm not so loyal to a company when someone has a problem, brand new to boot, to tell them it can't be because I never had any problems with it.

·
Nothing can stop me now
1,045 Posts
pelts79 said:
80 mm on the spot? That's what's on my Blur classic
Ooops.... I assumed it was at least a 100mm.... I still think that it is an option.... if you really want to ride the brand new DWL 5 spot that you just built....

You don't have an extra 140mm fork lying around like Tscheezy? or others....

bobo

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
pelts79 said:
Well,I do know that it was not my air pumping skills, please. I have a full suspension bike and had it for quite a while. I'm not bashing Sram, I just know that the fork didn't hold air, period. You know it's like I own a Toyota and have never had a problem with it and someone I know has one and has nothing but trouble and tell them it's probably you because I have good luck with mine. I know mistakes happen, people make errors. I'm willing to take another chance with a Pike. I'm not so loyal to a company when someone has a problem, brand new to boot, to tell them it can't be because I never had any problems with it.
1. This "ongoing problem with Rockshox losing air", believe it or not, has occasionally been a case of a rider having bad pumping skilz. I know, I've replied to some of them on mtbr and that was indeed their problem, not the fork. What they describe as a fork not holding air wasn't necessarily that when they rapidly took off the pump hose and the fork went to absolutely zero in both chambers in a day, it's that they attach their pump later in the week and find it reads lower than what they thought they'd put in before. Ergo, the fork "won't hold air". You're saying your fork has no air in either chamber after a short time?

2. I only tell you that I've never had a problem losing air because I'd hate for you to think this is some faulty product and all Rockshox owners have to go through a leaking fork or two before they get it fixed. You're just one of the lucky ones!

3. If you'd bought a Float instead and it had a problem out of the box would that have made you "gun shy" about Fox forks?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bobo_krkk_NIN said:
Ooops.... I assumed it was at least a 100mm.... I still think that it is an option.... if you really want to ride the brand new DWL 5 spot that you just built....

You don't have an extra 140mm fork lying around like Tscheezy? or others....

bobo
NO, I don't have a 140 lying around, I wish. It's not a DWL link, it's the 08. I can wait, was just excited to ride after building for a couple months, but oh well. The Blur classic will work.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I feel for you dude. Build up the Spot and can't ride it because of a faulty fork. Bummer!

I too had a leaking air problem with a RS Reba a few years ago. It would lose all negative pressure within a day at the most. Positive pressure was fine. Shrader valves were fine. RockShox did replace the air piston assembly for free even though the fork was past the warranty period. Big kudos to them!! The crown eventually started creaking as well.

I have since been using Fox forks. I personally feel they work a little better. Have they been bulletproof - nope! I had fork seal issues and a creaking crown (warranty). The seals were taken care of by Push.

Doesn't matter which fork you get, you may have problems with them. This really goes with any component for that matter. However, I wouldn't be concerned about RockShox customer service - they will take care of you.

What does this all mean? Don't sell your Blur. Its situations like this when you are glad you have more than one bike.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3. If you'd bought a Float instead and it had a problem out of the box would that have made you "gun shy" about Fox forks?

Ya, I would. I'm not saying Fox is superior to Rock Shox it's just that when I have ran it for over 5 years without a problem I question my decision about chaninging brands. It's not to say Fox doesn't have problems, I'm sure they do. The Fork (Pike) I had didn't hold pressure in the positive chamber at all, not even for 5 minutes. Something not right there. Ya, I'm glad I have kept the Blur for situations like this. After all it's all about being able to ride Im thinking the Spot will be like a fine wine, just gets better with age. Man I want to slam down some of that wine, lol.

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Yep it's one of the most frustrating things when you buy anything new only to have to return it for warranty or exchange or [email protected]! And that extends beyond forks / bikes etc!

If it was me it probably wouldn't turn me off Rock Shox, but may turn me off Air Forks!!

BTW I've had a Pike which didn't have any problems, well if anything the stanchions scratch a bit too easily (compared to chromed ones). I sold that fork for a Domain for the new bike.
I also have a Tora which is probably due for new seals now as it's getting some stiction, but it's air and haven't had any problems with it.

I hope RS take good care of you.

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Anything man made has the chance of failure new or not - look @ the auto industries track record on TSB's / recalls. I have had close to a couple dozen forks and quite a few of the new forks had problems right out of the box - that's where a warranty and good CS come into play. My 07' Pike suffered from incorrectly faced disc tabs. One trip to the LBS, one week later and I was rolling. Build a bike then plan a trip, plan a trip then build a bike... you know the outcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.