Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am about to buy a Pike. Either a 454 or a 426.

The 426 has Poploc adjust and the 426 is non poploc. Both are brandnew and with full warranty. Price difference is only 30$.

My question:
Is there any SIGNIFICANT difference in durability and strength?
The fork goes on my Heckler. It´s a solid built, but reasonably light. I am only 148lbs and quite smooth, shouldn´t be too bad.

But what does the hollow crown of the 454 do? Does it weaken the fork?
Or do all 2006 Pikes have the hollow crown?
I am asking because the 2005 Pike team had a few issues with the crowns.

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would also like to know about the durability issue of 454.

I'm getting a '07 Pike now. I'd like to get it pretty soon, but it doesn't really matter if I just get it before next spring.

Well, I have the same problem. 426 or the 454. I am around 160 with full gear. I'm getting the Pike for my Do-It-All hardtail (SC Chameleon), but I mostly use it for a bit heavier stuff because I have On-One 456 with '05 Minute 3 for lighter things (I know, it's pretty heavy also).

So with the Chameleon and Pike, I'm going to do some dirtjumping (haven't done very much, so it will kinda small), some pretty light FR (the highest drop this summer was like 6ft but I'm intending to go bigger next summer).

When I ride, I want to forget the fork. I don't want to think that "is my fork strong enough". That's why I don't want to Poplock either.

The reason why I would like to get the 454 is the color, I want black not silver. The weight isn't really an issue (I've understood that the weight difference is something like 0.3lbs / 130g). The cost difference isn't really an issue because $65 isn't that big of a deal when buying a fork for around $580.... If it is what I want :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
768 Posts
"When I ride, I want to forget the fork. I don't want to think that "is my fork strong enough". That's why I don't want to Poplock either."

how does poplock diminish the fork's durability?

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
hardway said:
"When I ride, I want to forget the fork. I don't want to think that "is my fork strong enough". That's why I don't want to Poplock either."

how does poplock diminish the fork's durability?
Maybe thinking that the lever and cable are more to break or malfunction?

I chose a 426 for the steel steerer and coil u-turn, and don't want remote, but I'm hearing from the shop they may have shipped me a 454.

I too am curious if there's any *real* difference in durability between high and low-end models.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
hardway said:
I just got a smokin' deal on the 426, but it has the poplock. hopefully this won't cause me any problems.
Why would it? I think on the Pikes you can run without the poplock if you want anyway (unlike Psylos and SIDs)

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
I've found the 454 to be bombproof...

And I weight #180 plus gear. Furthermore, I've yet to hear any one else break one.

·
Registered
768 Posts
hardway said:
Why would it? I think on the Pikes you can run without the poplock if you want anyway (unlike Psylos and SIDs)
the lockout control is spring loaded to accomodate the poplock remote, so you really can't use the damn lockout feature if the remote becomes unusable.
does anybody know if you can switch the lockout control from poplock to a regular lever?

·
Registered
76 Posts
great choices

I go about 200 with gear & switched to a 454 approx 1 month ago. So far I see no signs of weekness, the max drop I've done is about 3 feet but I do tend to ride aggresively on the downhills with lots o' good size rocks. The 454 soaks it all up without a complaint.

I can't speak for 6' drops, but given your weight I don't think it should be an issue. Anyway, I switched from an '03 Z1 and I find the 454 more responsive, smoother, and more solid (could be maxle). I don't think you can go wrong either way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts