Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'06 MKIII pike 454 u-turn / Noticed when airing up the fork negative chamber that oil is coming out of the schrader valve upon un-screwing the shock pump. Repeatedly tried to see if may be it was only a small amount but seems to keep coming couple of drops or more each time. Do I have a problem? Only two weeks old! Also is it neccessary to check the pressure each time I ride, which is daily?

·
Black Lion
4,431 Posts
broncbuster said:
'06 MKIII pike 454 u-turn / Noticed when airing up the fork negative chamber that oil is coming out of the schrader valve upon un-screwing the shock pump. Repeatedly tried to see if may be it was only a small amount but seems to keep coming couple of drops or more each time. Do I have a problem? Only two weeks old! Also is it neccessary to check the pressure each time I ride, which is daily?
To reiterate what Acadian is saying no you do not have an issue. A very samll ammount is fine.

You really do not have to check air pressure before every ride.

·
Harky
159 Posts
Be watchful thou...
There is a small amount (a couple of cc's) of light weight oil at the bottom of the fork legs (common to most new fork designs) that splash lubricates the bushings when you ride...if you keep losing a little oil each time you check air pressure, and ignore it, you'll eventually run it dry.
Also typical for an air fork, there is a small amount of oil above the air piston that may blow out the top (positive) schraeder valve. These small losses aren't critical, as long as you are checking the oil levels as recommended in the service manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.