Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to get the Pike for a chumba XCL when I ran across a great deal on a Vanilla R which includes a Chris King headset; both for about $100 less than the Pike. I've seen that the Pike is highly recommended on the Chumba forum, but I also know that for years the Vanilla has been also highly recommended. I'm not the type to lockout on climbs or adjust travel on the trail.

I've read many a 32 Vanilla R review here but there is only one Pike 454 review.

Any recommendations?

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Go with the Pike

If I had to choose, and I had the hub to accommodate the 20mm thru axle on the Pike, I'd take it hands down over the Vanilla. Just too many issues with Fox products being finicky in general, and their reputation for seal leakage makes it that much more in favor of the Pike. The Motion Control damping on the Pike has also proven to be very reliable.

Short answer-Pike. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
564 Posts
I ran a Vanilla 125 for 3 years and switched to a Pike. It will change the way the bike handles and allow you to do things you never could have with the Vanilla.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I ride a Vanilla RLC and I would recommend that fork. I like the slow speed compression tunability, it is lighter than the Pike, it soaks up the garbage I through at it. I have never riden a Pike but I do have a Revelation Coil and I would take the Vanilla any day. I rarely use the lockout, I run the heavy spring because I weigh just over 200. I don't care for U-turn feature of the Rockshox. I prefer full travel 100% of the time. I have 800 miles on fork riding AM stuff and the fork has held up great, no issues. I know the 20mm through axle is stiffer but is the additional cost worth gain for the type of riding you do. Also, the Vanilla comes with three springs. If you need to change the spring on the Pike you have to buy a new one. That helped me make the decision.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Can't say personally about the Pike but many people I know who have one are very happy with the fork. I got a 32 Vanilla R recently (with a headset deal) for my Heckler, very nice fork and I like it very much. I also have a 36 Van RC2 on a Nomad, and that's a very nice fork too. Before that Marzocchi mostly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.