Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if any Heckler owners with the DHX 5 coil shock have the Pike 454 u-turn air on the front. If so how well does it pair with the rear coil shock? I'm probably going with the Pike coil but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

G

·
Hellbound said:
Just wondering if any Heckler owners with the DHX 5 coil shock have the Pike 454 u-turn air on the front. If so how well does it pair with the rear coil shock? I'm probably going with the Pike coil but I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.
I have that combo on my Heckler and I like it a lot. Matchwise, it works well. The only thing I don't like about my 454 air U-Turn is that about every few weeks the travel seems to go down from 140 to about 125. This is fixed by letting the air out of both the pos and neg air chambers and putting new air in. I know I'm not the first person that this has happened to, per other threads. Personally, I'll consider the coil version next time since this does not appear to be an isolated incident. It is annoying, but to answer your original question, the 454 Air U-Turn and the DHX-5 coil match just fine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Black Dragon - your issue is common to people who check/play with their pressures to often (not the only reason, and I don't mean to sound rude). If your negative chamber is more that 10psi above the positive chamber it will suck down and can stay there until the positive is reinflated with the negative empty. If you pump up your positive chamber to the desired pressure, flip the bike over and then inflate the negative chamber to positive +10psi (max) and then the fork gets sucked down after a week, you have a chamber seal problem which a service will fix. I have 2 454 Air U-Turns in the garage, neither have ever had that issue. A friend's did it all the time 'cos he kept fiddling and as I say, I hear its quite common.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I managed to ride them back to back and both performed fine with the coil,I prefered the feel of the coil Pike , it felt slightly different in a good way to me, hard to describle its one of those touchy feely things, I ended up with the 454 coil on my Heckler and after a few months had it Push'd I would recommend changing the spring if you are up around 190 -200lb to the firm because they are on the softer side as standard,
I've just built a new Chameleon and didn't hesitate getting another Pike coil up front, just waiting for a spring, on back order, when its due a service I will have it Push'd, its a good upgrade.

G

·
al_bullit said:
Black Dragon - your issue is common to people who check/play with their pressures to often (not the only reason, and I don't mean to sound rude). If your negative chamber is more that 10psi above the positive chamber it will suck down and can stay there until the positive is reinflated with the negative empty. If you pump up your positive chamber to the desired pressure, flip the bike over and then inflate the negative chamber to positive +10psi (max) and then the fork gets sucked down after a week, you have a chamber seal problem which a service will fix. I have 2 454 Air U-Turns in the garage, neither have ever had that issue. A friend's did it all the time 'cos he kept fiddling and as I say, I hear its quite common.
It is a seal issue; however, I haven't heard that it is due to riders constantly checking/adjusting air pressures. It is a common problem with having more pressure in the neg chamber than the positive, which is not my case either.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments. Another thing I see on the internet alot is that the Pike air feels very "progressive" and the coil feels more "linear". Anyone care to describe that in dummy terms? I'm around 230 during the summer maybe a little bit heavier during the winter so I'm sure I'll need to order at least the stiff firm springs if I go with the coil. There is mostly tight single track here in Louisiana so I'm looking for a fork that would be more snappier when going around tight turns and such. To me it almost sounds like I need the air and maybe look into having it pushed. I've noticed that so many people are loving the Pike 454....but I just need to decide on the air or coil. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Hellbound said:
Thanks for the comments. Another thing I see on the internet alot is that the Pike air feels very "progressive" and the coil feels more "linear". Anyone care to describe that in dummy terms? I'm around 230 during the summer maybe a little bit heavier during the winter so I'm sure I'll need to order at least the stiff firm springs if I go with the coil. There is mostly tight single track here in Louisiana so I'm looking for a fork that would be more snappier when going around tight turns and such. To me it almost sounds like I need the air and maybe look into having it pushed. I've noticed that so many people are loving the Pike 454....but I just need to decide on the air or coil. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy.
Progressive = compliant for the first bit of travel, less compliant (ie, takes more inertia) thru the rest of the travel. Good for lots of small chop and will handle bigger stuff as well, feeling "bottomless"

Linear = Goes thru all the travel with the same amount of input. Will be good with small stuff, but bigger stuff won't feel as bottomless since it will dive right to the bottom.

Two things determine this:
1. Air/coil
2. Suspension path/characteristics (rear only).

Coils are usually more linear than air, but this is a BROAD generalization. Current coil forks often have an air assist or hydraulic dampening to help bolster performance in certain situations. Think of the DHX coil on the back having a "blow off" too, which creates progression at the end of the stroke.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool that was very helpful. I think I've made my decision for the air. One more thing, does anyone have a picture of the Diffusion Silver?lol I can't find it anywhere on the internet. Again this was very helpful.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.