Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow singlespeeders,

I just took delivery of my dream build yesterday and thought I would share some shots :thumbsup:

Here she is in the shop posing for some shots

Obviously I had to ride her and get her dirty. Here are a few shots from the trails this moring. It was pouring down but I didn't really notice - was having a blast smashing it :cool:

She comes in at 9.1 KGs with pedals. Some say that is heavy, I say she is bomb proof ;)

Project 321 Hubs on Stans ZTR Flow EX rims and 2.35 Maxxis Ikons - this setup is bombproof and allows me to run low PSI giving me a wide foot print and not having to worry about denting rims.

Took about 15kms of Single Track to get used to riding rigid again - haven't done that since the 90ies.... It certainly reminds you how important line choice is. But once dialled in it is just plain old fun.. sooo much fun....

Pikachu is exactly what I wanted her to be and more :p:p

Have a super day,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha.. I thought of that myself.. not sure that Pokemon really have a sex. But in any case this one is a girl ;-)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to neaten her up, put the SS dropout in!

How much clearance in the rear stays is there with the 2.35 ikon?
Yeah, I asked about that dropout.. will need to get that sorted.

Quite a bit of room still in the rear. The tyre is very wide as it is and the Flow internal 25mm rim makes them even wider. I specifically asked Niner about this before buying the frame, as I like to run wide rubber front and rear. Pretty sure I would be able to fit a 2.35 HD as well without issues.

I'll grab a photo and post it up over lunch so you can get an idea. It is borderline 29+ size which I really like :thumbsup:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yep, that is a dreamy build. Congratulations!

I see some FTR in there as well. My new SS project is in there as well. Trail looks a little Daisy like, but not sure where that dam is so suspect I am wrong, it is certainly wetter today ;(

I know you have only got a short run in, but how do you think the Ikon went on the front?

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that is a dreamy build. Congratulations!

I see some FTR in there as well. My new SS project is in there as well. Trail looks a little Daisy like, but not sure where that dam is so suspect I am wrong, it is certainly wetter today ;(

I know you have only got a short run in, but how do you think the Ikon went on the front?

Cheers
Yep, that is Tim from FTR taking shots - the boys build it up exactly as I wanted it. Cannot recommend them enough. Awesome team to work with and always happy to deal with my constant changes throughout ;-)

Trail is Jinkers, just at the end of no 7 near the lake. I ride there from 6am to 730 am pretty much every Tue and Thu - you are welcome to join any time. 1.5 hrs, 22-23 km at fast pace when doing all the single track. Nice stint before work to get the body working and the mind clear.

I love the 2.35 Ikon on the front and rear. Have been running it on my alloy SS up front for a few months. They offer low rolling resistance, yet plenty of grip in the corners once you get on the edge of the tyre.

Most XCers think I am nuts for running such big rubber - it makes sense to me on a rigid bike and to be honest the wider footprint gives me more confidence and matches my riding style; DH/gravity background.

Anyway, back to work, hope to see you on the trails man.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Cool, Jinker is a nice area to ride. I use to get out there a lot, but the funny thing is I have never ridden no.7.

Well that would be very interesting running an Ikon there, the surface is very loose over hard pack. For example on my FS, I find HD struggle out there. Even so, as a rigid, I reckon those Ikons will be a great blend of weight, fast rolling and a little cush for you. Good overall choice imo.

At least that area drains well, happy riding man. Yep, SS is perfect of sniper runs before work.....

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
That might just be the best looking frame/fork combo I've ever seen and I've never been a fan of Niner's carbon frames!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts