Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the sudden my Asta is getting busted up. Last night I'm riding a fire road & a stick goes thru the front rim & busts a nipple. Spoke was undamaged so I replaced the nipple & trued the rim.

Tonight I take it on a short road ride just to make sure it's all good and outa nowhere the chain wraps around the bottom bracket and the small ring is trashed. I look down & watch pieces of the chain ring bolts falling to the ground. :madman:

I guess it begs the question. Replace the busted chainring & bolts or upgrade?

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
After getting a better look at it this morning it looks like one of the bolts backed out. When it let go it took the ring and another bolt with it. Just glad it did it near home & not 10 miles out into a trail.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Race Face Team

Race Face Team Chainring set at Pricepoint. Just be sure when you're putting them on, or any new ring, that you line them up correctly, there are tabs or marks showing how they go. All chainrings have shift points built into them that need to coincide for them to work correctly.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Mornin'

Those Race Face rings are real nice..Some of the best shifting rings around..
I've got a set on my Truvativ Noir's that I run on my ASTA..

Now before you order a set you need to take the cranks off..
Remove the broken bolts from the crankarms..
Make sure you can get bolts to thread into the cranks..

Jake

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip. Those Race Face rings look sweet. Damn, tho. I just ordered a couple things from Price Point a few days ago.

Oh well

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tore it down this afternoon & the threads are fine. The small ring, not so much, lol. I ordered the Race Face set this afternoon. Looks like they used teflon tape on the bolts. I'm thinking a dab of blue threadlock when it goes back together.

·
The White Jeff W
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
New rings are installed and doing fine, thanks. Still have some dérailleur tweaking to do but it was close enough for a ride last evening. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Spent a good hour working on the dérailleurs and both are shifting up & down like buttah w/ no rub in any combination. Of course, the forecast is calling for rain the entire holiday weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.