Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
well mannered lout
3,175 Posts
Hate to see no replies

A couple from the yard
Boardwalk access to roller

Here's a lesson in what happens when you leave your fork undersprung ( and wear slippery shoes instead of my riding shoes) on the log-jam.
Cheers K.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A bridge

Until June of 2008, there was a nice rock streambed crossing at this location. The same rains that flooded Iowa washed away several crossings on our trails. The state Dept. of Natural Resources came up with the money to hire professionals to lead our club in constructing this nice bridge.

I will be fixing the damage from one weekend of rain for several more years.

Walt

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
OK, I’ll attach some lame pictures of my first modest attempt at used a very inexpensive tool that attaches to my chainsaw. It’s called the Beam Machine and I decided to try it out on a downed oak that I figured would make a nice crossing over an annoying water filled drainage.

Here’s the results, by no means intended as a permanent fix, but kind of a cool first try effort on a warm Tennessee winter day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quiet Waters Trail in Deerfield, FL

No mountains or hills, so most of the trail consists of Rocks, gravel and SAND! The first bridge was built on top of a bridge that was destroyed in hurricane Wilma. I'll post some of the Rock rollovers we have created later.

Next are bridges that will eventually span a total of 500'. No water, just sand.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
That is actually pretty impressive. You could potentially make your own (nice) beams of any length and (nice) decking, using that as a portable saw mill... in the middle of nowhere with downed trees.

Post more pics next time you use it!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Just finished this today. 18" wide,22" wide in the corners. The bridge is over a spot that stays wet most of the year. It will also help keep horses off the trail that is illeagl for them to be on in the first place.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
just finished this project at home today. Later on this week it'll get installed on the local trail.

Maybe this will be the next project.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
mtbkr_cookie said:
just finished this project at home today. Later on this week it'll get installed on the local trail.
i plan on building one of these this summer... what kind of rotating setup did you use for the center?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I get so jealous of what a lot of you get to build. That stuff looks so fun to design/build/ride. We can't have anything like that. We get complaints about 36" wide, straight bridges 6" off the ground being too hard.:( Maybe someday I'll move where I can do some techy stuff.

·
Builder of Trails
797 Posts
Glynis27 said:
I get so jealous of what a lot of you get to build. That stuff looks so fun to design/build/ride. We can't have anything like that. We get complaints about 36" wide, straight bridges 6" off the ground being too hard.:( Maybe someday I'll move where I can do some techy stuff.
One way to warm land managers up a bit in regard to technical trail features (aka stunts) is to pitch to them a low risk/high skill feature. Or a lower risk, medium skill feature. Something that is six inches wide is just as difficult to ride six inches off the ground as it is three feet off the ground. The height requires a certain male anatomy, nothing more.

In my experience, only a small percentage of riders will attempt a feature if the risk outweighs the feeling of accomplishment, particularly the older one gets! LOL I lowered a couple of features to a more comfortable height making that section of trail more enjoyable for more riders.

D

·
Registered
802 Posts
dburatti said:
One way to warm land managers up a bit in regard to technical trail features (aka stunts) is to pitch to them a low risk/high skill feature. Or a lower risk, medium skill feature. Something that is six inches wide is just as difficult to ride six inches off the ground as it is three feet off the ground. The height requires a certain male anatomy, nothing more.

In my experience, only a small percentage of riders will attempt a feature if the risk outweighs the feeling of accomplishment, particularly the older one gets! LOL I lowered a couple of features to a more comfortable height making that section of trail more enjoyable for more riders.

D
We have tried doing this some and have even made ride-arounds for certain features (even 6" tall logs). Riders will see it and alter the line or remove the feature. Gets frustrating. I have only been building for 2 years now and the veterans always laugh about my suggestions for skill features because they KNOW they won't go over well.

It must just be the area we are in. We see tiny kids on 14-16" wheeled bikes out there. Yes, they need a place to ride too, and it is great to see kids riding, but I hate needing to lower the skill level of a trail for them. Wish we could just have 1 of our trails dedicated tougher stuff.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts