Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
Thats heavier than my '04 large was with Ti spring, it weighs 8.5 now with steel spring.

Good to know they didn't lighten it up actually, it's heavy compared to other 5" bikes I guess but pretty much in the same ballpark as some of the 6" bikes. The 6" version is sounding better all the time, be nice to hear a ride report with the 2:1 ratio.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Acoording to the web-site...

It will be offered in both 5 and 6 inches of travel. But only with set travel (no changing afterwards). The weight seems a wee bit stiff, though.

T

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just had one of each arrive in shop today, 5 inch version with ti spring, 6 inch with steel spring, was told only difference is the stroke of the shock to give the xtra inch of travel, looking at the frames they seem identical, only had time to weigh 6 inch version as other went straight out the door (custy waiting in shop for courier to arrive) was 8.85 lb's on a digital scale, will post pic once built.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Wow

More lies from a bike company about weight. It sounds like they weighed it without the shock like so many others; an air shock would drop a pound or more from the standard steal spring but that's not an option yet. I'll put one on the scale tomorrow to back up what has been said here but it's dissapointing that this industry cant tell the truth. I was hoping to drop some weight from my heavy old RFX but it looks like an airshock on the RFX would do the job without dropping $1600 for a new frame and I can retain the horst link. :confused:

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
What a difference...

I emailed them and asked about the weight. They claimed 5.2 lbs without a shock. Adding 2 lbs. for the shock(from what someone said on the Foes board), that would put it at a little over 7 lb. Either those shocks are 3lb. or they have a broken scale. I wonder if they meant that by removing the heavy coil shock and replacing it with a lightweight air shock I could get a 7 lb. 6 in. trailbike frame???

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wow....8.25+ is higher than i had hoped. this is one bike that i was really looking forward to. for a trail bike i think it is too heavy but for a real man who rides real trails it may be perfect but 8 lbs plus puts it in a weight category versus a different type of bike than i was putting it into within my head (eg, 5 Spot, Ventana X5, etc) but now it is more like in the Moment, Turner 6 Pack, etc. class in terms of weight

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
FoShizzle said:
wow....8.25+ is higher than i had hoped. this is one bike that i was really looking forward to. for a trail bike i think it is too heavy but for a real man who rides real trails it may be perfect but 8 lbs plus puts it in a weight category versus a different type of bike than i was putting it into within my head (eg, 5 Spot, Ventana X5, etc) but now it is more like in the Moment, Turner 6 Pack, etc. class in terms of weight
Yeah, I consider the FXR in the same class as the Pack and other 6" bikes, even if it's offered in the 5" mode. To me, it's a different beast than the 5 Spot and descends better in 5" mode and much better in 6" mode, I'm talking about my '04 here, not sure about the new one obviously.

If the geometry numbers are correct and the 6" model is identical to the 5" model than the HA and BB might be an issue on the 6" version, unless they measured with an XC fork or something. Maybe a nice 6" fork will slacked the HA and raise the BB enough for it to ride nice??

If they go one way or the other like kanter is saying I hope they go with a 6" version myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
A wee bit to early to tell...

There's too little information released yet, but I would guess that the geometry chart presented at the Foes web-site is for the 5" model with a 5" fork. Why? Well, according to the posts about the frame earlier, it seems like the 5" model was the one designed first. Then, after some pressure from shops and riders, decided to go for a 6" version as well. If the rear end is raised to 6" and a 6" fork with fairly normal AC length is used, the geometry will stay the same, apart from the BB height. My concern is that the 69,5 degree HA seems rather steep for such a long fork. But then again, not much information is released yet, and it might be that we're desktop debating here. And the weight? Well, it's higher than expected, but with a fairly light singletrack build and a light and nice fork (for example the Pace RC41) a target weight between 12 and 12,5 kilogrames (that's 26.5 to 27.5 Ibs, for those of you who are metrically challenged) is within reach. That could be one quite interesting ride, if you ask me!

Truls

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Weighed it myself

Medium with a Ti sprung XTD 8.6lbs :confused: So the steel sprung version will be pushing 9 lbs frame only so don't count on a 28lb build with comperable parts. The Ti spring brings it inline price wise with Turner, Ventana and Intense but it's still a bit heavier. I wonder if Foes intends this bike for north shore type riding? If not it's hopelessly overbuilt and overweight. They probably added some extra weight and cost to the build by using a monocoque top tube. They should have just used an off the shelf easton tube and incorperated a hydroformed gusset at the TT seat tube or maybe at the head tube if they felt it necessary to use that fancy Chicago Hydroform machine. That photo from Beyond Bikes is the one from there I bike catalog without the sales pitch printed over it. Foes is one of the best companies out there but this isn't the bike they were promising. Don't get me wrong if I didn't allready own an RFX I'd consider the FXR but I was hoping for the weights to be as advertised; oh well I guess I'll keep my current ride and the $1600 the new frame would have cost.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
just way too heavy for me....real shame in my opinion. it is not like Foes only has this one bike.....seems like they should have made the range of weights across their bikes wider but now their lightest bike is almost 9 pounds? but what do I know....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.