Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were snow flurries starting about the 2200-foot level, and the ice, snow, and slush ran from just above that elevation until I reached the Priest Rock junction at about 2650 feet. This was around noon today.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Nice pics imtnbike :thumbsup: One question...we left as you were starting up the trail. How hard was it raining 20 minutes into your ride ? It really came down on the trip home in the car.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone. Ancient Rascal, it rained steadily from Kennedy Road to shortly above the tree rest area about 1800 feet. From about 2000 feet to the Priest Rock junction there was less precipitation, but from 2200 feet up it was snow flurries (fun!). Oddly, at the junction nothing was coming down and the sun was peeking out. I thought we were above the rain clouds, which proved to be true because as I descended, the rain picked up again. It's now raining steadily in San Jose.

I was going to try to get up to Mount El Sombroso (3000 feet) but bagged it at Priest Rock because it was tough going with all those layers of clothes, my unhappy lubricant-deprived chain, and the cold and snow flurries. El Sombroso was socked in, but when I could see up toward it, it wasn't any snowier than the junction. So I went home and am warming up.

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
fun times ...but cold
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Green Outdoor recreation Slope Sunglasses Goggles

Winter Brown Snow Freezing Knee

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent. You got farther than I did. I might go again tomorrow and try to get that far, or to Mission Peak. Also, just saw the local news on KPIX (Channel 5). The weather forecaster said we may get a colder storm next weekend, with snow at sea level.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Rensho, and good to meet you too. I liked the mini-snowman you built on the trail junction sign. I should have photographed it, but that meant rummaging for my camera again and getting my hands wet and cold once more.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yup & somehow the days of rain before the snow are forgotten. An inch+ everyday here near Scotts Valley since Wed. The trails here are in no condition for a ride, but them fireroads of Lexington get rather less rain....

·
(Ali)
782 Posts
ancient rascal, it was very nice chatting with you and Brazilian Climber today.

The snow at the top was sentimental! :) We closed our loop through Priest Rock and that part was miserable (in a wonderful way :) 34 degrees, snow to slush to rain. We were completely frozen and soaked.

That was one of the most memorable rides ever for me.

Ali

Attachments

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Tons of snow

imtnbke said:
Likewise. I wish I were up there today. I wonder if the snow is melting rapidly. I suppose it is, given the sunny mild weather at sea level.
Just got back and there were 60 foot sections of snow 4 to 6 inches deep even on the way up power pole to the intersection sign. I started up Priest rock from Lexington. One of the best rides ever today. :D Hardest I ever had to work to get there and barely made some sections due to snow. rensho's mini Jackalope snow figure had been vandalized so I did my best to rebuild him then put him up on the sign. one of his rock eyes was missing ! :nono:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.