Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post pictures of my new F1 for the last few days. I picked it up from the shop this past Sunday and haven't had a chance to put it on dirt yet. Thursday I'll finally, get to ride some singletrack so I'll post my thoughts after that ride. My only riding on this bike was from the shop to my house. Riding from 33rd up to 211th street, here in Manhattan didn't give me the greatest feel for the bike, but I do love it! I haven't had a geared mtb in over 5 years. I just got back into mtb this summer on a rigid singlespeed. I think I'm going to love the gears & suspension! :thumbsup:

So, without further delay here's my sweet new F1 as shot in my kitchen. (I don't have the largest pad, living here in the city)
Arby.

Below: Ready to cook it up on the trails.

Below: This is my first bike with a Lefty, first Cdale for that matter; I love they way it looks.

Below: So sweet.

Below: 110mm of travel. Can't wait to see how that Lefty works.

Below: I swapped out the narrow flat bar for a 2" rise Titec bar.

Below: Avid Elixir R brakes. Never used them. I only have experience with old school Hayes hydros and Tektro cable actuated disk brakes.

Below: Sram X7 shifters. Last time I had a geared mtb it had shimano rapid fire. It's odd for me, to push to upshift and also push for downshifting. I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly.

Below: What a huge top tube / seat tube junction. I love it. Whoever assembled this bike didn't route the front brake line through the clamp and down behind the Lefty though. I tried, but was unable to slip the brake lever through the gap between the Lefty and head tube. It's going to have to stay this way until I take it to the shop.

Below: Kenda Small Block Eight's. These have to come off immediately. They're not going to be any good for the rocky trails I ride here.

Below: Man I love the look of the Lefty.

Below: Complaint: the "SYSTEM INTEGRATION" screen printing is distorted. Sucks... not worth taking back to the shop... or is it??? I didn't mention it to the shop but it really bugs me. $2600 and the decal is distorted!:skep:

Below: Nice little rebound knob.

Below: Sram X9 Rear Derailleur. Question: What is the small tapped hole, above the drop out for? Paniers???

Below: Truvativ FireX 3.2. I'll ride these for a while. I'm not super stoked about them but I'm sure they work just fine. Would love to put a lighter & shnazzier looking set of cranks on this bike though.

Below: Crank Bro's Candy pedals. I have these on all of my bikes. Love em'.

Below: After all the research I did, I hadn't realized that the tubes were all hydroformed crazy shaped. I love it! Friggin' awesome that they can form tubes for the best strength to weight ratio and it looks pretty friggin' nifty to boot.

·
Just Ride.
722 Posts
Very nice Arby, congrats. Make sure you don't fly over the bars with the brakes, they work very well.
You will love the Lefty, far superior to normal forks.

The Distorted decal is pretty poor on Cannondales part.

Have fun!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Arby said:
Below: Kenda Small Block Eight's. These have to come off immediately. They're not going to be any good for the rocky trails I ride here.

Hey there, keep those SB8's handy. If you ever venture out to Rocky Point in the Long Island pine barrens or the New Jersey pine barrens, they'll pay off big time. They're my favorite pine needle tire.

Of course, anywhere else in the area, and they are useless.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The color combo is my favorite. I wouldn't worry about the decal. There will be more serious dirt and rock chips to worry about once you get it on the trails.

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dude that is Sweeeeeet! ! ! ! I'm bigtime jealous! ! !

But, I've got a question. There's been alot of talk about the 2010 C'dales being made in Taiwan. I've noticed on the C'dale website, and on your bike that they still say, "Handmade in USA". What's up with that?

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joel. said:
Very nice Arby, congrats. Make sure you don't fly over the bars with the brakes, they work very well.
You will love the Lefty, far superior to normal forks.

The Distorted decal is pretty poor on Cannondales part.

Have fun!
To be honest, the brakes are weak right now. They have a "slippery" feel. I'm sure that once the pads wear in, they'll feel much much stronger. They're not spongy, just slippery. I've always been amazed by my Tektro Aquila mechanical disk brakes. I run those with a pair of old school Real levers and they are MEGA STRONG. Strong enough for hippity hoppity trials type stuff anyway :)

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bluedog7 said:
Dude that is Sweeeeeet! ! ! ! I'm bigtime jealous! ! !

But, I've got a question. There's been alot of talk about the 2010 C'dales being made in Taiwan. I've noticed on the C'dale website, and on your bike that they still say, "Handmade in USA". What's up with that?
Yep, mine's made in the US. But honestly, I will still buy a Cdale that is built overseas. Refer to this thread for everyone and their mother's opinions on that issue:
...No more Made in USA Frames?

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
almontebarnes said:
Arby said:

Hey there, keep those SB8's handy. If you ever venture out to Rocky Point in the Long Island pine barrens or the New Jersey pine barrens, they'll pay off big time. They're my favorite pine needle tire.

Of course, anywhere else in the area, and they are useless.
I'll keep them handy just in case. I'll be running my 2.3 WTB Exiwolf's till I can get a knobbier set of tires on there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Arby, congratulations! F1 is a dream, a very beautiful bike! I'm joining penny per penny to buy it.
I just ask you about the rims (and rear hub). Because, on the site of Cannondale, the description tells that the rims are DT Swiss X430 with DT Swiss 370 rear hub, instead of DT Swiss XCR 1.7 wheelset. You swaped?
PS.: Sorry about my english.

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Karlly said:
Arby, congratulations! F1 is a dream, a very beautiful bike! I'm joining penny per penny to buy it.
I just ask you about the rims (and rear hub). Because, on the site of Cannondale, the description tells that the rims are DT Swiss X430 with DT Swiss 370 rear hub, instead of DT Swiss XCR 1.7 wheelset. You swaped?
PS.: Sorry about my english.
Your english is perfect. I did not swap out my wheels, they are stock. They say X430 but also say SCR 17 on them as well.

You will love your F1 when you get it!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.