Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shipped a bike from California to France a few weeks ago, dragged my sorry butt there a few days later and I've been able to find some time to ride between visiting the family, dragging friends to various place to see and eat, and of course all the drinking and eating.

So far I have roamed around our place in a department called Lozere, a little but south of the dead center of France when you look at a map, otherwise called "the boonies" or "the middle of nowhere" by my bored teenage kids!

There are no "mountain bike" or even "hiking" specific trails over there, only trails / dirt road that where / are use by people to go to / from places and take the animals (cows / sheep) to and from the pastures. The IGN (www.ign.fr), the French goverment arm responsible for mapping France has some excellent maps (down to 1/10,000 but I mostly use 1/25,000) with trails, and even houses / farm buldings marked. Unfortunately a lot of the trails in the area where I just rode have not been used in years and are hard to find / overgrown. So the riding has been a lot of riding up / down trails dead ending into a forest or a field. Then either turn back or jump fences looking for where the trail is suppose to be. Not very productive mileage wise, but great for exploring the countryside.

Here are a few pictures. Next are the Alps...

Happy trails to everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
hardway said:
That looks a lot like Northern California!
Exactly what I was thinking. I skipped the story and looked at the pictures first and it looked familiar. It was a shocker when I saw it was in France:eekster:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slus said:
Exactly what I was thinking. I skipped the story and looked at the pictures first and it looked familiar. It was a shocker when I saw it was in France:eekster:
Yeah, but without the rangers, the "no mountain bike" signs, speed limits, horse riding nuts and agressive hikers! Over here, when you are lost and you ask people for direction, they are actually _happy_ to help you and will even make great conversation and they may even offer you a drink :thumbsup:

Then there are the cows (turn out that a mountain bike is spooky to cows... I learned!), sheeps (cute) and dogs (roaming in villages, bark a lot but never bite people). And then from time to time you just run in to a piece of history from the Xth century...

Attachments

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
fantastic photos and it looks like a great ride!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts