Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post or email a pic of their CatEye Cordless 7 setup. This thing is really pissing me off. Unless it is defective I must have it set up wrong. Looking for proper placement of both the head unit and sensor and pics would really help. I have the stupid instructions and have been following them but, no luck on getting it to read the correct mph or mileage. Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just got mine installed but

I got mine in begin of April from Performance for just this reason, on sale too. I hooked it up spun the wheel it worked, woke up the next morning spun the wheel it did not work. I think the unit on the fork moved alittle thus throwing off my set up. I also think i have mine on upside down. In the instructions it looks like the adjust screw sit up top and mine is on the bottom. So I might take it off and redo it. I sort of followed how my old computer was set up, I made a mark before taking off old bottom sensor. Please make sure the alinement mark on the bottom sensor hit the magnetic correctly. One way you can tell is that you hear a clicking sound. I thought the magnet was hitting the sensor but wrong.
I think I will try again tonight. It has been raining alot so I can not ride in the rain, I might melt. Please follow up on your install if you get yours to work correctly. If I can not get it to work correctly, I will ask performance to help me out, their store is by my apt.
Sorry for writing so longand complaining about the problem. But people did say they are hard to install. The magnet and senor were almost touching when mine was working.

aham23 said:
Can anyone post or email a pic of their CatEye Cordless 7 setup. This thing is really pissing me off. Unless it is defective I must have it set up wrong. Looking for proper placement of both the head unit and sensor and pics would really help. I have the stupid instructions and have been following them but, no luck on getting it to read the correct mph or mileage. Thanks.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
aham23 said:
Are you getting a speed reading that is wrong or no reading at all?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I posted previously about it reading but reading wrong. The mph jumps all over the place 14 to 2 to 7 to 14 even when I am on flat ground pedaling steady. The mileage is off from the marked path I ride by about .25 per mile. I changed the batteries. I did the tire marking thing to get the right tire measurement which was totally different from the manual chart. I just cant get it to read correctly. Later.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is moving the sender unit as high as possible on your fork. I have a cordless 2 and have had some of the same problems. It is my understanding that the C7 has a better wireless range than the older C2 but then again, MTB forks are getting taller (more travel). I have mine installed on a 4" Black and am just in range with the sender mounted just below the brake boss and the head unit mounted directly above on the bars. It works most of the time this way, but if it's cold out, (below 60, hey it's SoCal) I'm climbing (fork is at the top of its travel), and/or I have my digital Niterider light on the computer reads intermittently or not at all.
And you're right about the chart, it's way off. I have always used the rolling method to get a measurement and have found it to be pretty accurate when tested against a GPS unit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy crap does that setup work for you? Of course it does why else would you post the pics. On the sensor setup I have the sensor pointing towards the magnet where you have it pointing away from it but still lined up correctly. I bet that gives it a better line of sight to shoot its signal at the head unit. I am out to test. Later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suck or somehting???? I just can not get this damn thing to work. I am out freezing my arse off testing and moving and adjusting and testing but still get the erractic mph reading and off mileage. I thought it was a line of sight issue but I have tried all kinds of positioning. Well, I got what looks to be one last good setup to test out tomorrow on my ride and if the darn thing dont work its in the trash and a wire unit in my future. Thanks for the pics. Later.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Several different attempts and still the damn thing reads wrong. Wrong mileage and mph all over the board. After my ride tomorrow I will be done with it. I plan to pick up a wired unit. I emailed CatEye for warranty work or replacement but they dont respond?? Thanks for the help. Later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.