Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sunset photo that preceded my first night ride. It was a charity biking event a couple weekends ago for a little girl that is very sick. A ton of fellow bikers showed up and raised about 6K for the family. [sorry for the quality of the mobile phone pic!]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
"The Brothers"
Cloudy summit last Sunday. Olympic Mtns. ONP. Not the highest peak around but starting close to sea level, it was a day with over a 6000 foot gain of fun scrambling. Had lunch with a few Mtn. goats near the summit.

·
underachiever
1,187 Posts
I was poking through iPhoto and was looking for something to post, and came across this scanned image. This is my father's early 1950s Raleigh 3-speed. It was in my possession during my senior year of college (1985/86), which was when this photograph was taken. I rode this bike many, many miles that year. Notice there is only a cable to the front brake (and it's the attached to the right lever). Anyway, my dad still has the bike but it could use a tune-up and some restoration. I believe it still has the original tires.

View attachment 479628

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Baker Lake

Where are you from L,
Spent a few weekends at Baker lake over the years..
T

·
sftrydr
1,089 Posts
Baker Hot Springs

Aemmer said:
Where are you from L,
Spent a few weekends at Baker lake over the years..
T
104-106 deg water temp, sulphur-yes.
12 ft circumference pool, 2-3 ft deep on average....Clothing Optional...
So many good memories, a few not so good,
We bicycled there from Bellingham, around 1984, took a couple hrs, riding through Wickersham-Skidrow Willie,
Soaked in the Hot Springs for an hr, got back on our bicycles to ride back.....Fat Chance....Legs were made of fudge, could barely turn the cranks, ended up hitchin a ride with another Hot Springs attendee, got a lift to hwy9, rode back through Alger+on to B'ham.....
Learned a valuable lesson on hot water soaks at the Baker Lake Hot Springs. Be done with ride when soak is planned
Smile

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Lake Tapps. Grew up in the North end but slowly moving South. At my current rate I will be in Marin Co. by the time I am 80. I know Jim was from Bellingham before the call to Cali. drew him south.

Never hit those hotsprings but have spent many days getting lost riding up there at Galbreath (sp?). Owe a big thanks to Jim's work there, establishing access for bikers a long time ago.

·
Registered
936 Posts
jeff said:
I hope to have this done before the TDF returns to the mothership next weekend.
What kind of work were you doing behind the BB, removing a kickstand mount or beefing it up maybe?

·
sftrydr
1,089 Posts
Galbraith Mt Trails

Aemmer said:
Lake Tapps. Grew up in the North end but slowly moving South. At my current rate I will be in Marin Co. by the time I am 80. I know Jim was from Bellingham before the call to Cali. drew him south.

Never hit those hotsprings but have spent many days getting lost riding up there at Galbreath (sp?). Owe a big thanks to Jim's work there, establishing access for bikers a long time ago.
Thanx Tim,
Those trails we toiled on are a great memory pool for me.
There was a dedicated group of pedalers that attended mtngs, volunteered at trails related events, raised $ for land acquisition...etc.
Our Mt Bike race, the Padden Mt Pedal, still going strong after 15+ yrs, has raised many thousands of $ for open space , parks, greenways corridors in the greater B'ham area.
Politics being what they were back then, basically favorable to Mt Bike riders, allowed us a seat at the outdoor decision making tables.
People like Jim "Tag"Tagart, Mike"Mole", Mark+Missy Belles, Mike"Big Jack" Jackson,Mark "Petey"Peterson, Arne"Swede" Stensrud, Greg"The Law" Greenan, "Oldrick" Scott+Will "D-9" Ramerman, Paula Katie, Mary, Jody, David"Bad"Bradshaw, Elliot"Ekoli" Bradshaw, Craig"Poindexter" Stephens, Tom "Friar" Anderson, Beau+ Patty Sage, Danny "Boy" Sullivan,Matt "MattsoMan" Menenberg, Aaron"Spider"Menenberg, Scott"noshit" Fleenor,Jeff+John Dewitt,
Businesses Like Bandito's Burritos, Bagelry, Milano's Deli,Old Town Cycles,Kulshan Cycles, Colophon Cafe,KUGS FM....
I'm sure I'm omitting some folks, and I'm selflishly hijacking this thread , but, what the hell, I just love seein the nicknames in cyberprint.
And if you ride the Bellingham area, Galbraith-Chuckanut Mt, Lookout, Anderson Mt..These folks listed and some I'v missed, did the initial push to establish loops that are as fun today as they were back then on out no suspension bicycles.
I was there too, but they were the backbone....
http://www.whimpsmtb.com

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
ScottyMTB said:
What kind of work were you doing behind the BB, removing a kickstand mount or beefing it up maybe?
Beefing it up. And yes, it needed a touch of swagging to go from 28" to 29".
J

·
Registered
498 Posts
Some old school goodness...

A NOS Campy single speed/BMX Crankset.

My latest project, rescued from a neighbors backyard

1 - 20 of 23 Posts