Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a thread like this over on EpicSki and loved the idea. I know there are a lot of people out there that ride with a dog or two. What I want to see, is pics of your dog, on or off the trail. Let's give a salute to man's (or woman's) best friend!:thumbsup:

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
The Trailhound

Indy is the perfect trail dog. He is trained to run right behind me, he comes when called. He is friendly with people and other dogs. He likes mountain biking as much as I do. I only take him along when it isn't too hot. I also avoid days/locations that I expect to be crowded.

·
Fueled by meat n potatoes
87 Posts
Nice pup Six Pack, heres a pic of mine. No action shots yet, but maybe later.
Carnivore Dog breed Dog Jaw Canidae

·
Registered
485 Posts
My dogs will stay with me till something more interesting comes along and then zip gone. Last time I tried walking them off leash at a park in the middle of nowhere were I wasn't likely to run into other people or dogs and they spotted a deer and well luckily we found them swimming back at the start of the trail waiting for us.

Boris on the left my pure breed WTF? and Nikita on the right my shepherd

Lubo my latest pound dog/shepherd mix

·
Registered
575 Posts
Uncle Six Pack said:

Indy is the perfect trail dog. He is trained to run right behind me, he comes when called. He is friendly with people and other dogs. He likes mountain biking as much as I do. I only take him along when it isn't too hot. I also avoid days/locations that I expect to be crowded.
Uncle, that is an Awsome pic of you jumping with the dog right behind!

I wish my dogs would run right with me.. They are more likely to be running perpindicular to my path.

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
Three Phase said:
Uncle, that is an Awsome pic of you jumping with the dog right behind!

I wish my dogs would run right with me.. They are more likely to be running perpindicular to my path.
Thanks, that picture is actually a video capture, but I am still very proud of it!

I felt bad last night. Went for a ride, but my bud was driving so I had to leave Indy behind. As soon as he sees me filling my camelback, he starts running around in circles and whining.

Sometimes the best days are when it is just my bike, my dog, and me and nobody else around for miles. I put lots of treats in the camelback on those days and find a nice place to rest near a creek... jeez, there just is something about a "boy" by a creek with his bike and his dog...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Muddpuddle:

he doesn't go with me anymore, but when he did, he was a wildman tearing thru the woods. torn ligaments in his knee keep him from hitting the trails with me nowadays.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
My loaner Buddies

They're not mine, I just get the chance to cruise with them when I'm visiting El Beastro in CO. They are super fantastic dogs and super well trained and obedient - personally I couldn't believe that dogs could be this well trained, don't wonder but maybe a little and heal/stay at one command :thumbsup: Looking forward to riding with them again this summer :D Oh and talk about haul a$$, man can they fly.

1 -Beastro with Kitt & Daisee
2 - Kitt (on right) Daisee (on left)
3 - Me with the pups

Attachments

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
There's not a lot of places nearby where you can legally ride with your dog, but this a great place in Mendocino, norcal:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These pics are great. Someday, I will have a dog of my own to ride with...until then, I will have to live vicariously through all of you!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Six Pack,
Any tips on how you trained your dog to ride in back? :thumbsup:

Uncle Six Pack said:

·
trail addict
1,866 Posts
paingold said:
Six Pack,
Any tips on how you trained your dog to ride in back? :thumbsup:
Long story... to sum it up...

Not to brag, but Indy is extraordinarily well-behaved. From about 3 months to over a year old, I was basically with him 24 hours a day. He went to work with me, road trips in the car, almost everything. He was quite a little devil at an early age and my wife and I were frequently frustrated by what turned out to be "play aggression". Coming from a pet-shop, he hadn't been adequately socialized at the right age to play nicely with anyone or anything. In human terms, he was an adorably cute bastard.

So a friend of mine recommends three books on dog behaviorism as it relates to positive training. I have always been a "dog person", but these books really opened my eyes to how to raise a well-behaved dog and communicate as close to dog language as possible. The Power of Positive Dog Training, Don't Shoot the Dog, and Culture Clash were the three books. The most important aspects of the books deal with the timing of rewards, progressing with small steps, using a variety of rewards, how to punish by withholding a reward (rather than fear or pain), and much more.

Using techniques from the book, Indy transformed from an outrageous pain in the rear to the most fantastic dog I have ever been around. Basically, every moment of his life became a learning experience.

So anyway, I trained him to heel (both on a leash and off) and it was a natural move from there to heeling along a bike. Once we were out on a trail, I would just let him run because singletrack is too narrow for heeling. Then I started riding with a few other people and realized he was gonna be annoying to some people. So, with a lot of patience, I started him at heel, then gave a new command, "back" and gave him a little shove backwards. If he worked his way back alongside me, I would block him with my foot or hand or yell at him. A squirt gun could have been a good idea, too. The message to send is: The command "back" means you can run right behind the bike all you want (which is a reward, to him), as soon as you get up alongside of the bike, you will be interrupted (removing a reward). When the trail is clear and he has stayed back nicely, I release him with the "OK" command, which means "Whatever we have been doing, you are now free" and he will range out ahead of me 20 or 30 feet and sniff around and stuff. It is also worth mentioning that herding dogs will tend to be better at this because they have instincts to follow along with moving objects (the same way a retriever will naturally fetch and a hound will howl).

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I am a dog nut. Indy probably won't win any obedience contests, but he is functionally obedient in my life. He is the perfect dog for me.

Oh and for the sake of the dog, take it easy on fast, steep descents-rough on a dog's joints. Also, many dogs would run themselves to death to follow their masters, give breaks and plenty of water. The owner is (hopefully) the more intelligent species, so act like it and avoid problems before they happen. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts