Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm considering a Moment and would like to see some pics and set-ups. THANKS in advance to any/all replies!!!

·
Owner, Spoke Apparel
147 Posts
Here you go man. Better pics of my 2006 Moment build......as well as details....

Wheels – I9 Freeride Hubs (silver), DT Swiss 4.1 Rims
Saddle – WTB Laser V, Grey
Post – Thompson Elite
Cranks – Raceface Atlas
Bottom Bracket – Chris King
Cassette – Sram PG-990
Brakes -Avid Juicy Seven
Tires – Maxxis ADvantage 2.5″
Bars – Raceface Deus XC
Stem – Tompson Elite, 110 mm, 20 Degree Rise
Headset – Chris King
Fork – Fox Talas 36 RC2
Shock – Fox DHX Air 5.0
Shifters – Sram X9
Derailuers – Sram X9

·
MTB SOCAL
1,449 Posts
Here's my 08 Moment with 36 TALAS fork. I'm running X0 shifters / derailleur and XTR crankset. The wheels are King / Mavic. I think it weighs about 31.5 lbs, if I remember correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts

My old Moment (v 1.5) here, I'll post the newer Moment later (v 1.0)

·
Registered
33 Posts
My buddy:

2009 Medium Smoke Anodized.
Wheels – Hope Pro2 Hubs (silver), Mavic 819 Rims
Saddle – Syncros AM
Post – Gravity Dropper
Cranks & BB – Shimano XT
Cassette – Sram PG-980
Brakes - Formula Oro K24, 180 mm (front), 160 mm (rear) rotors
Tires – Continental Mountain King UST 2.4
Bars – Syncros Bulk
Stem – Tompson Elite, 70 mm, 0 Degree Rise
Headset – FSA Xtreme Pro
Fork – Fox Talas 36 RC2
Shock – Fox DHX Air 4.0
Shifters – Sram X9
Derailleurs – Sram X9 (rear), Shimano XT (front)
Weight - 32 lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Nice!!!

Looks good! Good luck with those Formulas. I had the same ones on mine and ended up switching to Saints. They screamed like mother!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all, I've been diggin' the Moment for a while and have recently been seriously considering one to replace my Chumba XCL. It's a nice bike that I'm not totally dissatisfied with, but I've broken the seat stay once already... guess I'm looking for a bit more.

I have a quick question for all you running 36s out there. What's the BB height when equipped with this fork? I may end up running a coil shock matched to a new Manitou Travis 150 that I have, but I'm a little concerned because of the geometry numbers listed on the website with what I would imagine is a 32? Let me know, thanks!

·
Registered
915 Posts
The website states 14.2 inches with a 150mm fork. The extra 20mm axle crown height of the 36 raises it another .2inch.

On paper 14.4 inch is really high for this amount of travel but in reality it does not seem to be detromental to the cornering of the Moment.

Of course the height/profile of the tyres makes a difference and the amount of sag makes a big difference too. I tend to run a lot of sag on my bikes (30% on My Moment), I like the way the rear tracks the ground when set up that way. In the corners the bike compresses for loads of grip and stability.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Nsynk! It's interesting that you say the geo numbers are measured with a 150mm fork because what I see on the website is a static fork length of 520.7mm A2C. The A2C length on my Travis is the same as most 160mm forks at 545mm which is what causes my concern.

Seems to me that increasing the fork length by nearly an inch would raise the bottom bracket by a good half inch with changes in the head & seat tube angles of about 1 degree. You raised a good point about sag and tire profile, but with my considerations I think any other changes to these numbers would be negligible.

So with a presumed static BB height of ~14.7" and running roughly 28-30% sag, I should get a sagged BB height of about 13.7"... does that sound about right? This would be just under an inch higher than my XCL, and while not all bad, it would take some getting used to. I'll tell you one thing, pedal smacks on technical climbs would NOT be missed for sure!:thumbsup:

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Wouldn't 30% sag amount to around 2", at both ends of the bike, dropping the BB 2" and not just one?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts