Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was taking a look in the setup thread and on the Ventana site trying to figure out which X-5 pic went with which size. 15/17/19/21...

Add in custom sizes and now my head hurts. Or is that lingering from New Year?

I'm trying to find pics of the 17" stock frame, or a 15" ST/17" TT custom.

C'mon it's an excuse to show off your X-5's. :)

After thinking I've wanted an X-5 now might be wavering to a Ciclon in the same 17".

Aargh, decisions, decisions. :)

JmZ

·
Registered
230 Posts
GO BUCKS!!!! here's an 06 17" X-5

As a fellow Buckeye, I hope this helps. The X-5 is strong, has great standover, and can give 6". If you don't like the X look, don't care about standover, or 6", I think El Ciclon would be a great choice. You really can't go wrong either way, IMHO. Call Ventana, they'll steer you right.

GO BUCKS!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Here is an older picture of my 17" X-5

It has a Pike on it now and a few other small changes but looks pretty much the same.

Great bike. My wife rides a 13" X-5 and she loves it too. We have 5 Ventanas at our house and they are all great bikes. You will be happy with whatever you decide.

Attachments

·
Keep Singletrack Single
1,147 Posts
Here is mine... I sold the frame late last year... Moving to an All Mountain HT...

The X-5 is a great frame. I am looking forward to potentially getting another FS Ventana in the near future. It just did not suit my local trails that well. Too much bike! Awesome though!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
No problem.
The bottom bracket was raised a lot higher, I'm thinking at least half an inch, but could've been closer to one inch (I forget off the top of my head).
I have the sag set a little over 30%, or so, which is nicer than what it had been at.
I'm liking the set up, so far.

crazyhouse

edit:
Okay, I had to go check again. The bottom bracket is 14.5" as you see it pictured in the six inch mode. That's with the fork at 545mm a-c.
I think when I had it in 5" mode, I had measured what the charts say on the Ventana website once. After that, I usually ran my fork higher than the x-5 recommended a-c and didn't measure.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It's a Vanilla R shock. I use it only for shuttle days and such.

Not really used it for trail riding. I'm very happy with the RP2/3 especially since it's been Pushed.

I doubt it will give a better platform than the RP2/3, especially with pro-pedal on.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - quick replies. Thanks! And lots of great bikes too!

I saw some of the X-5's in the larger sizes and saw the seat tube junction sloping down to meet the top tube. For some reason it just looked wrong to me. I know, I know, vanity.

The X-5's in the 15 and 17 size look right. First time I saw a front triangle like these were on an old Cannondale, and for some reason that flat back half of the top tube is cemented in my head as the right way for this to be done.

Thans again everyone. Just gotta wait for the W-2's and tax stuff to go in before I order mine. Think I've got it all figured out, now time to get it all funded. Promised I wouldn't buy the frame before figuring out taxes for this year. Been a weird year.

JmZ

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.