Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
test test . .

right then. there is my new strong, ya'll. thanx to this forum for all the help in getting it built, which was a lot. it started life as an idea for a "69er", and later evolved into this bike, which i dig most heavily. it is centered around that non-susp correct ti fork for a start. i wanted the bike to be low, and more compact at my size. carl was great at dialing in a softer more compliant ride from the frame - he called it ritchey-esque and hit it perfectly. for reference geometry is pretty close to a KM, tho obviously lower at the fork and also the BB and half a degree slacker in the head tube - as i get older steep bikes appeal to me less and less. carl did a great job with those plexus stays, and just getting a clean and classic balanced look about the thing, i think. he was a pleasure to work with, in every way and i certainly would reccomend him very very highly. that frame ride is partnered with the flexy fork, and the sweet riding mikesee wheels - supercompe spokes X 2 to dt swiss road rims. the rest of the thing i went for simplicity, with the rim brakes, surly dropouts, am classic post and DA crank turning a large kickass cog for the " bigger is better" chainring/cog notion. i've ridden drops off road for over 20 years, and so far like the midge alright tho i wish it was flatter up top - top mount 'cross levers too, like you see there. sitting there exactly as you see it in the snow it tips the scale at 19.75 ellbees ( not that gave weight a thought beforehand ).

i am really really glad i went full 29. so far with the snow i haven't ridden it too much - the trails are not ridable right now. even so the thing rolls just sooooo sweet. that fork is actually quite a bit stiffer than the bike that it replaces, and ancient ibis which flexed a couple inches from axle to crown in a way that most people from today found very disturbing. :) the sibex's ( lack of ) weight is eerie. between all that, the 29er traction, and something i can't quite pick out the thing just feels like a rocket around the frozen backyard cyclocross practice track. i could commence ranting about 29ers are obviously - even at first blush - the only way to fly but ya'll already know that. 29er for life.

anyway, thanx again all. hope you like the photo' and the final bike - the colour was a little distubing to the kids, and to carl i think, but coming off 20 years of pink and lime and lavender on the old bike i needed to tone it down some. see you all on the trails.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx martini.

the midges have a wedge of foam grip on the top of the drops, ala' wes williams style. :) i like them, but really do wish on-one had given them a more new-school flat top up on the forward section leading to the hoods. i'm still dialing them in, and might end up just going back to my old nitto dirt-drops.

hope to see you next spring, i have a bro-in law who llives just down the street from the sugar creek wems race, and hope to get over there to do that one next year. c-u-then. !! :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
That bike just radiates bike maturedom. I love it. Steel frame, ti fork, ti seatpost, 29", Midge, I really want to have a bike like that. Very cool, those DA cranks with the large cog, looks and brains, but that goes for all of the bike.

I've never had bars with flat tops, but the idea has always appealed to me. Would there be a market to offer clamp-on bar top to slip over the naked bar before, then tape wrapping it all?

·
This place needs an enema
16,940 Posts
Awesome Tim. I'm salivating over here.

Actually, I'm more than salivating--the wheels are turning in my head:

mike's mind said:
..."How can I make more room in the garage, and convince the wife that I NEED one of these...?"...
Enjoy it, and may you find dry dirt some time very soon...

MC

·
mtbr member
250 Posts
perfection

That is one of the most beautiful looking bikes I have ever seen! The understated colour is just perfect. I've used road cranks on my 26er SS but I've always assumed that I couldn't find a rear cog big enough to make it work on a 29er. What sort of ring/cog combo are you running there?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that is a 39x21. endless bikes makes their kickass-cogs up to 24t or so. a 130 mm road crank will go to 38t, so it all seems pretty workable. i like big/big ring/cog.

thanx for those nice words.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
That bike makes me happy...

...just looking at it. Lots of good spec there, the D/A crank makes the classiest SS crank I have seen yet.

I have considered Strong a couple times for a frame - I know a lot of locals who ride them and they have nothing but great things to say about his work. In my talks with him he has always lent some good input to my projects.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oooh ooh

my wife just came home with the final touches in spec:

a japanese spring steel ( bronzed steel ) and clear elastomer/urethane track top tube protector, and a set of keirin approved hardened steel chaintugs. awesome. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Dophin safe

Nice. Love the bent seatstay look on there. Looks like miles of riding pleasure to be had on it. Enjoy.

Nice hand hewn beams in the background also, a nice change from the cedar pickets you usually see around here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
mon t said:
test test . .

right then. there is my new strong, ya'll. thanx to this forum for all the help in getting it built, which was a lot. it started life as an idea for a "69er", and later evolved into this bike, which i dig most heavily. it is centered around that non-susp correct ti fork for a start. i wanted the bike to be low, and more compact at my size. carl was great at dialing in a softer more compliant ride from the frame - he called it ritchey-esque and hit it perfectly. for reference geometry is pretty close to a KM, tho obviously lower at the fork and also the BB and half a degree slacker in the head tube - as i get older steep bikes appeal to me less and less. carl did a great job with those plexus stays, and just getting a clean and classic balanced look about the thing, i think. he was a pleasure to work with, in every way and i certainly would reccomend him very very highly. that frame ride is partnered with the flexy fork, and the sweet riding mikesee wheels - supercompe spokes X 2 to dt swiss road rims. the rest of the thing i went for simplicity, with the rim brakes, surly dropouts, am classic post and DA crank turning a large kickass cog for the " bigger is better" chainring/cog notion. i've ridden drops off road for over 20 years, and so far like the midge alright tho i wish it was flatter up top - top mount 'cross levers too, like you see there. sitting there exactly as you see it in the snow it tips the scale at 19.75 ellbees ( not that gave weight a thought beforehand ).

i am really really glad i went full 29. so far with the snow i haven't ridden it too much - the trails are not ridable right now. even so the thing rolls just sooooo sweet. that fork is actually quite a bit stiffer than the bike that it replaces, and ancient ibis which flexed a couple inches from axle to crown in a way that most people from today found very disturbing. :) the sibex's ( lack of ) weight is eerie. between all that, the 29er traction, and something i can't quite pick out the thing just feels like a rocket around the frozen backyard cyclocross practice track. i could commence ranting about 29ers are obviously - even at first blush - the only way to fly but ya'll already know that. 29er for life.

anyway, thanx again all. hope you like the photo' and the final bike - the colour was a little distubing to the kids, and to carl i think, but coming off 20 years of pink and lime and lavender on the old bike i needed to tone it down some. see you all on the trails.
awesome bike.... if you have the time could you post more pictures?
is the tire clearance good in the seat stays?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
here is a rear quarter-view. i can try to get a close-up of the clearance, i would say it is good, not great. stays are a trim 430 mm, and the bb is low so it is a tight design and everything is a tradeoff. and, i can always just use a gear that puts the axle/wheel at the rear of the slotted dropouts and then it not an issue with clearance at the front aspect of the wheel. besides, i am old and if it's THAT muddy i'll just go ride the road on the fixed gear, ya know? carl did put crimps in each stay ( chain and seat ) and again, i've seen and made do with lots worse. if it is muddy out for a race or something i will use a new 1.8 bonti back there, and then clearance will be excellent. thanx !!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.