Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on another site and was wondering if there was anyone with any more info. I know specialized is sending stuff out and was hoping that giant was doing the same. I have heard that giant has a couple new bikes coming out and was interested if anyone has any more info?

I am a huge Giant fan!! Please help!!

Attachments

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
philip said:
I am a huge Giant fan!
Heh, huge giant seems kind of redundant doesn't it? That frame does not remind me of any giant I have seen. The front does look like an epic, but the rear doesnt look very much like an FSR. What was the pic labeled where you got it from?

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Doesn't look like much of an "upgrade"!! I've never seen Giant use that style of gusseting either. Could be a crazy prototype though, who knows.... The rear triangle looks kinda santa-cruz like to a degree......

Cheers, Dave.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I think it's bigfoot..

Seriously, wouldn't it be nice if spy's could take better pictures? Longer lens maybe, higher res, etc?

What's got me is there doens't look like there's a lot of room between that rocker link and the bottom bracket for a shock. Compare it to the NRS pic. the NRS' and the Dean's rocker like is a LOT higher up the seat tube. What would it have to be, a 5.5 i2i by 3/4" stroke?!?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
My guess...

It's what is to supersede the NRS's. Maybe in the 4"-3" ball park for the racerboy. And no, there's no much room for a shock in there... so there could be a link behind the bb to make for more travel out of small shaft stroke...

·
bang
1,290 Posts
bmadau said:
What's got me is there doens't look like there's a lot of room between that rocker link and the bottom bracket for a shock. Compare it to the NRS pic. the NRS' and the Dean's rocker like is a LOT higher up the seat tube. What would it have to be, a 5.5 i2i by 3/4" stroke?!?
i noticed about that too....and then i thought "well, what if the shock was removed when the picture was taken?". imagine the chainstay angled a bit lower and the point of that rocker angled a bit higher. now plug in a shock attached to that and the bb.

if this is in fact a giant bike, i dont think its a new NRS because this bike looks like a single pivot design. it looks like a short-travel VT, which would make sense as a way to fill the gap between the NRS and a potentially greater travel 05 VT. kinda like how the stumpjumper fills the gap between the epic and the enduro.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
You might be right but then the head and seat angles will go whack. The shock will not be much longer that what the picture shows.

But it could be a bike to fill the gap between the NRS and VT's. But just think this by a second, why would you need to stick to the NRS design when a single pivot with a SPV shock can make a better job than a NRS design?? NRS design was good when there were not any SPV shock to cope with bobbing but now it turn out that it locks the suspension in some of the situations when you need it most like climbing and pedaling thru nasty stuff.

Just my guess.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
Warp2003 said:
You might be right but then the head and seat angles will go whack. The shock will not be much longer that what the picture shows.

But it could be a bike to fill the gap between the NRS and VT's. But just think this by a second, why would you need to stick to the NRS design when a single pivot with a SPV shock can make a better job than a NRS design?? NRS design was good when there were not any SPV shock to cope with bobbing but now it turn out that it locks the suspension in some of the situations when you need it most like climbing and pedaling thru nasty stuff.

Just my guess.
i dunno, the fork and top tube look a little too slanted compared to that epic.

as for the SPV / propedal, it doesnt eliminate bob. it muffles it at best. pedal out of the saddle and youll bob.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
As for the angles (top tube and fork) they look similar to me. A bit more relaxed on the giant so you could be right but as I said the final shock lenght should not be far from where it is now. The long stem looks like racey to me too along with the lightweight wheels (I might be wrong on the last one thou)

Yes, you're totally right. SPV allows some suspension action and that's why it's good. If your rear suspension is not locked out your rear tire will glue to the terrain giving you more traction and allows the suspension to be a bit more active under braking which is very good also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.