Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on another site and was wondering if there was anyone with any more info. I know specialized is sending stuff out and was hoping that giant was doing the same. I have heard that giant has a couple new bikes coming out and was hoping someone had some more pics

Please help! I am a very big Giant fan!!

P-

Attachments

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
philip said:
I found this on another site and was wondering if there was anyone with any more info. I know specialized is sending stuff out and was hoping that giant was doing the same. I have heard that giant has a couple new bikes coming out and was hoping someone had some more pics

Please help! I am a very big Giant fan!!

P-
Strange. Looks like a VT redesign maybe?

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Nope

More like the thing that would supersede the NRS. It looks like being in the 4" travel ball park.

It should be. The NRS design has nothing more to do now there's SPV. Why would you want a suspension which lock out when pedaling when you can make it more bump compliant and better pedaling at the same time by using a SPV shock. Mext thing is to make the frame ligther and concentrate the masses closer to the COG. I guess they did so.

I'll like to see the Warp's evolution....

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Warp2003 said:
More like the thing that would supersede the NRS. It looks like being in the 4" travel ball park.

It should be. The NRS design has nothing more to do now there's SPV. Why would you want a suspension which lock out when pedaling when you can make it more bump compliant and better pedaling at the same time by using a SPV shock. Mext thing is to make the frame ligther and concentrate the masses closer to the COG. I guess they did so.

You are right that it does look to be around the 4ish" mark. I can't see exactly where the shock is mounted because of the blury image. Is it a single pivot linkage design like the VT is?

The NRS is an aging concept indeed. Maybe this bike will eventually replace it. I do still believe that there is a market for the NRS though.

About the warp, it has seen a few changes over the years, and i am sure the frame will only get better. I think the componentry quality has dropped since previous years i.e 2001. They should have a warp 0.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Yup...

There is a market for the NRS and it's like an entry level racing bike.

For the Warps, somewhere I posted that Giant should release a Warp with SPV on both ends and it could hit the stores at ~1200 buck (Considering they have the VT3 at 1600 list price). I would gladly pay for it.

But yes, I know there is people from Giant watching over here and my opinion is Giant should stop downgrading the Warps. They are the best bang-for-the-buck (and serious) option out there and downgrading is not helping to sell more Warps.

IMHO, the Warps are some of the best values on the giant line up. Very few bikes can presume of having a lifelong burly frame with decent componentry, discs and 5" of real travel at under a grand. As I said, I will gladly pay 1200 for a Warp with (at least) a SPV shock.

·
Niner EMD
100 Posts
The NRS may be an old design but it is rider tested and for me simply ideal! It is fast and furious with the perfect bump compliance for XC racing. Try telling an owner of an '04 NRS Air that his bike is "dated". You'll be choking on those words AND his dust.

·
Niner EMD
100 Posts
...and... "entry level" bikes at $4000...hmmm...entry for ROYALTY maybe!

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Well, I was referring to the NRS bikes at 800 or around a grand you can find out there. Not all NRS are NRS Air... I wonder why Bart Brentjens preferred HT's to this design??? Might be just him maybe.

Anyway... the NRS desing (as any design under the sun) is susceptible to updates and in the case of the NRS its design was so good until the arrival of the SPV that it reamained top of the line for six years now (??). But just because of that it doesn't mean Giant should stop developing new bikes and it implies the NRS to be outdated sometime.

Don't get me wrong... the NRS is a killing bike. It just has some limitations that can be superated by another design. Especially now there's SPV shocks. Why should Giant stop doing R&D with the NRS??

Besides, it's just a possibility. That pic can be a whole new bike or just a freaked proto or the evoution of the Warps or the evolution of the NRS, etc....

I forgot... I guess this NRS design was developed by Renault but they might be soo busy now trying to catch up Ferrari that maybe they are not available this time... but it'd be killing if they could.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Looks a lot like the D-Link design of the Hollowpoint but the shock is facing down instead of forward.

The rear triangle looks like the one on the VT but the linkage and shock placement is completely different. IMHO that might be the next generation of a XC racing bike like the NRS.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
The frame looks very similar to a Mountain Cycle Zen too. Don't have a link at the moment though.
I believe Iron Horse bikes are made in Giant operated factories.

·
Registered
150 Posts
NRS is very different from SPV

Warp2003 said:

Having spent more than 2 years on an NRS 1, and almost a year on a VT 1, I believe the suspensions to be very different, and both have a place in mountain biking. The No Res Sys of the NRS is set up with no sag and allows you to stand up and hammer the bike. This is desireable for racing. The SPV, while you can tune in a platform for peddaling in the seat, when you stand and pump, the bike will bob pretty good. Sure, you can tune the SPV to have a platform even when standing up, but then the ride is harsher than the NRS...no point in that.

I would be suprised if Giant dumped the NRS suspension for SPV. I think it would require a complete redesign since the SPV requires some sag.

·
Niner EMD
100 Posts
I fully agree. Hammering the NRS produces absolutely NO resonation in the rear linkage. SPV, no matter how perfectly set up cannot offer the stability of the NRS under pedaling loads. Like you said, too soft and its gonna bob, too stiff and you lose sensitivity.
I too would be surprised if Giant replaced the NRS. With so many devoted riders I'd imagine the focus would be on perfecting it rather than replacing it.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Yeah, you guys have a very good point. Today's SPV's don't come close to replacing the NRS design, it only helps those susp. designs that lack the no bob charateristics. Why would Giant drop a design it has won so many awards with, some may argue it is getting old, but why are they still selling like mad, and what about all the other four-bars like it- trek fuel, ellworth ict, kona, etc.?
What I think Giant should do is make a new trail-bike line based on the NRS w/ slightly longer travel. It would be an excellent Blur/Spider fighter with around ~4.5-5in of travel. For some reason 5in seems to be the magic number for most people these days. I would definetly look at buying one- I actually prefer a somewhat stiffer ride, until it comes to soaking up bigger hits. That's why I put on the SGF rockers, just worried about the rest of the frame at this point. It might conflict w/ the VT line, but I still think there is a market for such a bike. I hope Giant is listening. ;)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
I just can't...

I just can't fight the devotion argument which is very valid indeed. And I just can't deny the NRS success but Giant might be trying a different aproach.

SPV bobs a little, yes. But it is active even when you hammer on the pedals which gives an advantage on the climbs with poor traction. This is why they might be trying something different... but I might be wrong. We're all guessing now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts