Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished building it Friday and rode the backside of China Camp right after for a few hours. I am not going back to a hardtail again. I was riding a Kona Dawg Deelux and got rid of it for a steel hardtail, which rides nice, but nothing like a full susser. The Trance rides great, pedals efficient, and is a very supple ride. I considered the reign, but am a little taken back by the weight and feel 6" is alot for a singletrack bike.

The bike weighs 28 lbs.

Spec:
Race Face Dues XC cranks
Fox Talas R disc only
Juicy 7's
Thomson Post
WTB Rocket V Ti rails w/carbon
SRAM X.9 trigger
SRAM X.9 rear der
XT front der.
Race Face prodigy stem
Specialized low rise XC bar
Front wheel: DT XR4.1d rims w/XT hub
Rear wheel: DT XR4.1d rims w/DT 240S hub & XT cassette
WTB Wierwolf, 2.3 front & 2.1 rear

I am having trouble posting the pics, I will do it after a reduce their size.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sweeeeeet

diiulio said:
I finished building it Friday and rode the backside of China Camp right after for a few hours. I am not going back to a hardtail again. I was riding a Kona Dawg Deelux and got rid of it for a steel hardtail, which rides nice, but nothing like a full susser. The Trance rides great, pedals efficient, and is a very supple ride. I considered the reign, but am a little taken back by the weight and feel 6" is alot for a singletrack bike.

The bike weighs 28 lbs.

Spec:
Race Face Dues XC cranks
Fox Talas R disc only
Juicy 7's
Thomson Post
WTB Rocket V Ti rails w/carbon
SRAM X.9 trigger
SRAM X.9 rear der
XT front der.
Race Face prodigy stem
Specialized low rise XC bar
Front wheel: DT XR4.1d rims w/XT hub
Rear wheel: DT XR4.1d rims w/DT 240S hub & XT cassette
WTB Wierwolf, 2.3 front & 2.1 rear

I am having trouble posting the pics, I will do it after a reduce their size.
SIGH
:( :rolleyes: WOW again, what a nice looking bike and sweet components. However I kinda wish evenryone would ease up on the posting of pics and stories of their rides on their Reigns' and Trances' as it's making the wait for my Trance to arrive unbearable (JOKE)

REALLY - I'm so glad to see all the posts and great stories of how pleased people are with the new MAESTRO line.

SO you bought the Trance1 frame and built it up yourself or did you buy the complete bike and then upgrade the components? What was the final cost?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I built it frame up. The only things that are spec'd with a Trance 1 would be the cranks, which were a pain to install compared to Shimana's. I work at a shop so my costs are not applicable to average consumers.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, it's a nice ride. The post isn't that long, it is barely higher then the stem (~1"). Just the way the pic was taken, I mean my inseam isn't even 30" so it can't be that long!

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
hate to bring up such an old post, but I keep finding myself looking at your ride diiulio. :p
I am seriously considering buying a Trance frameset and swapping over all the parts from my NRS- I would like to have more of a trail bike that I can occasionally race (I ride almost everyday, but race only about half a dozen times a year), rather than have a race specific bike that I trail ride w/. ;)
I currently have a Float100rlc on my NRS that would work fine on the Trance, but I think the Talas (or MaverickSC maybe? ;) ) would make it much more versatile for the steeps, etc., and I'm not much of a weight weenie. But that's just more mula I would need to dish out that I don't have. I think all of my other components would work great on the Trance - Hope/Mavic 717 wheelset/Kenda BG 2.35/nevegal 2.1 (might try to build up a wheelset w/ Syncros rims this summer), Thomson, XT760 cranks, Hope MonoMini 185mmF/165mmR, risers, Mallets, even the blue WTB Rocket V saddle, etc. ;) But I think I would like to Sram the drivetrain over my XTR, at least the shifters and r. der, I hear the 06 stuff is all adj. and sick.

Diiulio, do you mind if I ask how big you are, ie, height/weight/ inseam, etc. and frameset price? I am currently on an 18.5" NRS, but think I might want a 16" Trance. After I put on the SGF rockers and 100mm fork on my NRS, I find myself almost crotching on very technical trails when I needed to bail, I also think the slightly smaller front triangle might be easier to throw around when it comes down to it, I like to ride long distances mainly, but I also ride a lot of manuals/wheelies/stoppies whenever the opp. arrises, w/ a few small smooth jumps thrown in, nothing serious, I realize it's an xc bike. I also see you have a setback seatpost. How long is your stem?? Also what type of terrain do you usually ride? Sorry for all the questions, I want to hear as much feedback as possible before I drop more money. thanks

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
one more question, how far can you lower the seatpost w/ the 16" frame?? I'm wondering because I like to lower my seat on longer dh's or tech sections, then raise it back up to xc level. If it's possible I will put my Sals'a qr on it, It is the same as NRS right- 30.8 id/slightly larger od?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am 5'8", ~180lbs, just under 30" inseam. I employee purchased the frameset, but I think you can get one around $900. Right now I think that Race Face stem is 90mm and I probably have one too many spacers under it. Friday I ran a fairly non-technical trail and ran the fork at 100 mm for the first time, it runs alot more XC oriented in that mode. I can't believe 30mm makes a difference, but it did. I am going to ride it today or tomorrow with the spacers moved up above the stem to get a bit more aggressive stance on the bike and see how that rides at both 100 and 130mm on the fork. I may swap over a 110 mm stem after to see how that feels. I am just playing around right now to get it dialed in, but I really like the way it rides.

I ride fairly aggressive XC and depending on trail technical to not so technical. I am in the North SF Bay area so there is an ave. of 45 min. of climbing and then the 25min of singletrack. I did a 2 1/2-3 footer on Friday and didn't even bottom out the suspension, but I did almost roll the tire off the rim b/c I was running pretty low pressure.

As far as dropping the seatpost: It all depends on how long your seatpost is. I run a ~300mm, 30.9mm Thomson setback, but I never lower it so I don't know how far it can go down.

The seat tube isn't straight either so I don't know how far you can really drop it. It's a 30.9 post or if you use the shim 27.2.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
yeah, thanks for the info, I'm around 5'8" and 155lbs, so the 16" might fit the bill. ;) I have a 30.9 thomson straight on my NRS currently, I think 330mm lenght, but if you could figure out approx. how far you can lower it, it would be much appreciated. I ride a lot of tech xc too, a lot of rocks, roots, lots of sharp rock gardens, off camber slick stuff, w/ rocky drops thrown in (I'm on Lake Superior, well currently living in Shiga-ken, Japan for about 6mos). I have a 100x115deg thomson stem, that might work, but like you, will have to take a bit to dial in. I wonder how hard a Frameset will be to find??

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
telemarc said:
Are you happy with the Talus on the reign 1. I think we will do the same.
telemarc
If I had a reign I don't think I would use the Talas since it doesn't match the rear 6" travel. BUT I am very happy with the Talas on my Trance, I have used it on the 130mm mode for most of the rides so far and dialed it down once or so to 100mm.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Are you happy with the Talus on the reign 1. I think we will do the same.
I think you meant "trance" not "reign", but the 130mm travel on the Fox Talas is the same as your Nixon, even w/ the fix apparantly. :p Axle to crown might be dif?? QR only too, no TA. I would go w/ the Fox36 on the Reign, that is if it lives up to the hype and your bank account can handle one. ;)

·
telemarc
293 Posts
my mistake

Sorry , I meant trance.I'm keepin the nixon on my reign.Happy with it the way it is. We are putting a talus on my wifes 14.5" trance 1which should arrive this week.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Great looking bike

mtnbikerdude87 said:
sweet looking bike. I just saw a Trance 1 frame at a local race. asking price of about 919$.....
the craftmanship and finish puts to shame many pseudo-costum-brand-bikes!!! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts