Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted pics of this in the Specialized forum last week, I figured a few more of you would either like (or hate!) to see it.

Thats right, a "jump" bike with bar ends on a riser bar!
I'll be replacing the chainrings with a 24-36 setup before riding season, and there are several other things that I'd like to upgrade or change, but this is basically how the bike will see service under my arse for the next few years.

Build list:
'04 Special ed P.2/Fox TALAS
Original Specail ed Headset
Easton EA70 stem
Easton EC70 riser bar
Control Tech shorty carbon bar ends
X.0 Twist shifters
Thompson Elite post
WTB saddle
750 XTR cranks/BB
XT FD
X.9 RD
XT 11-32 cassette
XTR chain
Candy SL pedals
XTR centerlock hubs/disks
Mavic 519 rims
IRC Mythos tires
Hayes HMX2 brakes

·
silly person
629 Posts
Wow, I've just returned to mountain biking from a long (several years) break. Since when did it become about fashion. First I find out that having my barends on my riser bar is sooo untrendy (see my bike pic in the gallery. I have some big arse bar ends :p ), and now.........
my eyes!!!
Hell, I think it's looks fun. I'm not sure how the geometry would work on a long trail but so long as it feels good for you I think it would be great fun.

Are the wheelset and other bits still tough enough to be used for jumps as well?

And for all you haters, mountain biking started out by using equipment not developed for the task. Function was more valuable than form and it all came down to using whatever worked and did the job for you. It doesn't need fashions and styles. If you want to play fashion wars go dress in lycra and play on the road.

Edit: Just to be a total hypocrit and for purely aesthetic reasons, I reckon it would look better with a black stem.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Martin.mac.au said:
Wow, I've just returned to mountain biking from a long (several years) break. Since when did it become about fashion. First I find out that having my barends on my riser bar is sooo untrendy (see my bike pic in the gallery. I have some big arse bar ends :p ), and now.........
Hell, I think it's looks fun. I'm not sure how the geometry would work on a long trail but so long as it feels good for you I think it would be great fun.
Are the wheelset and other bits still tough enough to be used for jumps as well?
And for all you haters, mountain biking started out by using equipment not developed for the task. Function was more valuable than form and it all came down to using whatever worked and did the job for you. It doesn't need fashions and styles. If you want to play fashion wars go dress in lycra and play on the road.
Edit: Just to be a total hypocrit and for purely aesthetic reasons, I reckon it would look better with a black stem.
Easy fella, we're just having some good natured fun (albeit at your expense). :)
You asked the question, not our fault you didn't like the answer. ;)

Fashion no no...perhaps, but you're more than welcome to run bar ends on your risers if thats comfy for you. No worries there.

Maybe it's the angle of the picture....but it looks like the handle bars are up way above the seat....which to me...would make for an awkward possition on the bike.

If you're using it as a jump bike...the parts on it aren't ideal for the task. I'd be scared of the carbon bars letting loose on ya. No chain tensioner or flat pedals. Parts that may or may not hold up to the abuse.

If you're using it as an XC/Trail bike...bad geometry, poor body position, and an unnessarially heavy frame for general trail use.

I'm generalizing, but it just sorta seems the bike isn't well suited to either XC or jumping...

At the end of the day, if it looks, feels, and rides the way you want and like it to...more power to ya!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
Martin.mac.au said:
Errrrr yes, but that isn't my bike. I was just commenting about MTB fashions in general. This bike is quirky, and I like it. Anyway here's my bike. It's a bit more boring but it does its job.

http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=20450&password=&sort=1&cat=507&page=1

I didn't mean to come off as abrupt. I was just musing about what has changed in the last few years.
My eyes!!!

Kidding, sooo kidding. :D

I think the riser vs. flats/barends discussion has been though here before...at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with it. Just be careful with clamping barends on carbon bars, that's all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Martin.mac.au said:
:D

Yeah I'd second that one.
I'd third that, i recently u/g my bars on my bike, got the FSA kforce flat 31.8mm clamp size. They have reinforced clamp, brakes and bar end zones, but u have to stay within their torque range. Clamp area max torque is 6.0Nm, other components 5Nm. Although this seems likes its very low, trust me no part has mved and the bar seems basically welded to the stem. It is amazing how much little torque is actually required and it freaks me out how some people over tighten things coz they think they will get lose.

I run Serfas Stabilizer Al barends on these flatbars (little hosrt ones with rubber grip) and they are great and light (~90g's). Almost the same weight as the bars.....

If you are doing dirt jumping, get rid of carbon bars, and get flat pedals (crank bros has them) i dont think you want to be clipped when you are going hard.

cheers,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lets see here.....

The saddle is about an inch above the bars, I've ridden enough bikes with enough bars/stem/saddle combinations to know what works for me. With the travel on the TALAS at 90mm the geometry works fine for climbing, and cranked open to 130mm it works fine downhill. A degree or two on a bike with some suspension never made a difference to me, if others can tell the difference more power to them.

The parts I chose will work fine for the drops/jumps I do, I'm pretty light, and have been easy on components. I don't do any huge drops, but I've been doing small (~3 foot+) drops for longer than there has been such a thing as freeriding/urban riding. I chose the P. frame because I wanted a beefy frame with lots of standover clearance. I like very technical trail riding so I tend to use a-lot of body english.

The ends of the bar have been reinforced, and all the parts bolted to the bars were put on with a pricey torque wrench. Anyone who wants to can continue to worry about it for me though. :D

I reserve the right to be unfashionable, now where did my neon lycra go........... ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Personally, I like it! If I was going to set up a P frame as a trail bike, I do something similar. I'm not a big fan of the bar-ends on the riser bar, heck, I never used bar-ends on flat bars, but if it works for you, great!

Nice bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts