Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you have them handy can I get you guys to post pics of your your disc brake setups using and IGH and horizontal drops please.

It's for a cruiser project. I have to use an offset cog to clear a 4.25" rear tire which eliminates some IGHs because of the location of the gear shift mechanism. I would really like a disc brake. Frame has horizontal dropouts. I would like to see how the disc / caliper alignement is handled.

Any creative thoughts, ideas, pictures are welcome.

Thanks, MM

adapters

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. With the horizontal dropouts doesn't the caliper and disk misalign? Or is it close enough.
I'd love to use an Alfine, but with the offset cog I would hit the shift mechanism. I need a chainline of about 60mm.
Where I'm at now is using a NuVinci hub but I'm trying to figure out a brake adapter that would work. Similar to a floating disc mount. The other thought is to fab a sliding caliper mount at the 12 o'clock position allowing plenty of horizontal adjustment.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I took a closer look at the Alfine, 60mm looks tough, the cassette joint is going to get in the way. Maybe you can make a custom cog with 55mm CL and bend the joint, then a less than perfect chain-line and you're good to go?

One other thought for the Alfine is make a custom very large cog, 30T, that would give you more room for the cassette joint/shift cable.

The SRAM IM9 is designed such than it's stock 50mm chain-line is max'ed out. Sealed shifter is a hard case, no chance to bend/modify.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.