Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a few requests for suggestions of the "lightest, best, non-carbon" cranks so some people are still suspicious of carbon in this application. However, I've never seen a broken one so if you have please share.

I'm not talking about cracked tabs on the spiders of a batch of RaceFaces. That doesn't even end a ride. I want to see a broken carbon crank arm to justify the carbon scardy cats.

P.S. I've been pounding Kforce Lights on my AM bike for 2 years now. One arm does have a big scratch from a rock.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I've seen a few requests for suggestions of the "lightest, best, non-carbon" cranks so some people are still suspicious of carbon in this application. However, I've never seen a broken one so if you have please share.

I'm not talking about cracked tabs on the spiders of a batch of RaceFaces. That doesn't even end a ride. I want to see a broken carbon crank arm to justify the carbon scardy cats.

P.S. I've been pounding Kforce Lights on my AM bike for 2 years now. One arm does have a big scratch from a rock.
I can't remember to ever have seen such a cracked carbon arm.However the spider tabs seem to be a problem.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have Next's on my bike.It is very rocky here. Even with the rubber boots on the ends...the ends of the cranks are pretty beat up from rock hits. I do keep an eye on them...the fail will probably be the alum thread insert coming loose.

·
Subject to Whimsy
420 Posts
the mayor said:
I have Next's on my bike.It is very rocky here. Even with the rubber boots on the ends...the ends of the cranks are pretty beat up from rock hits. I do keep an eye on them...the fail will probably be the alum thread insert coming loose.
The pedal inserts loosening on the Next cranks was a known problem on at least the '08 series. This happened to me within about 8-9 months of purchasing them in August '08.
Thankfully Raceface jumped on this and I had replacement cranks inside of a week and no further issues. I'm hopefull this is now fixed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
amillmtb said:
Robin v. Berkel had a pair of THM DP Clav's break on him....I think...
Robin v. Berkel break them becouse of runing the EXTRALITE 30T ring on the older version of the Claviculas. The chain clearence between the 30T and the THM'S spider was too narrow and the final result is - broken THM'S spider.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
ohadamirov said:
Robin v. Berkel break them becouse of runing the EXTRALITE 30T ring on the older version of the Claviculas. The chain clearence between the 30T and the THM'S spider was too narrow and the final result is - broken THM'S spider.
Still..."pics of broken carbon cranks"

·
Registered
215 Posts
Honestly I'm too lazy to look any up, but of all the ones I've seen a vast majority are the spider, which is why I like the lightning(no carbon spider) and not the clavicula(even though it's pretty). I've seen a couple with the pedal insert, but no more than two. Snapped arms aren't something I've seen.

Perhaps if the lazy goes away I'll go look them up. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.