Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,838 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the shots. Causes a bit of home sickness...not for living there again but the riding aint bad! How'd the roll into Horsethief treat you? I watched a guy run it and not even slow down in like '98...on a hardtail...I'm doing well to make it down clean; forget about it at any real speed! Thanks again.

Brock...

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ImaKlyde said:
Nice. Thanks for the shots. Causes a bit of home sickness...not for living there again but the riding aint bad! How'd the roll into Horsethief treat you? I watched a guy run it and not even slow down in like '98...on a hardtail...I'm doing well to make it down clean; forget about it at any real speed! Thanks again.

Brock...
This is the first time I've ever ridden in the region and I've got to say its some of the most unique and best riding anywhere. I cant wait to go back!

WHen you say "the roll into Horsethief", do you mean that crazy rocky part off of Mary's that leads into Horsthief? Man, I would like to see someone clean all of that. That intimidated the s#*t out of me. Maybe if I rode in the area for a while I might be able to do some of it, but I dont know.

·
1,838 Posts
Yep, that's the roll-in. Good stuff. I'm going back next spring (I hope) on a road trip. You know, disguise it as a reason for the wife, kid and I to see grandpa out there and I might happen to take a bike along with me...

Here's a pic or two from a couple years ago. I dabbed on this run down...
For those that have not been, the first is what you see as you ride in from the west and the others are as I make my way down.

Brock...

Attachments

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sick!

I rode that trail about 2 years ago and I still dream about it. My friends and I had a good run at that drop into HorseThief but it got the best of us all in the end. :) I want to go back this Spring.

Porcupine Rim, near Moab, is the Shiznit too!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hagen said:
This is the first time I've ever ridden in the region and I've got to say its some of the most unique and best riding anywhere. I cant wait to go back!

WHen you say "the roll into Horsethief", do you mean that crazy rocky part off of Mary's that leads into Horsthief? Man, I would like to see someone clean all of that. That intimidated the s#*t out of me. Maybe if I rode in the area for a while I might be able to do some of it, but I dont know.
Very nice pictures! That was my demon for 3 years and last year i rode it finally. and the next day i rode that sketchy knotch on LPS. got a vid. http://hack-mtb.blogspot.com/

Brock, on your last pic..did you drop that? I've seen a lot of people get stuck there. I always stay left. if i can.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Isn't Fruita......

near Grand Junction? I've got cousins there I think I need to visit. Sure look like fun.

ImaKlyde said:
Yep, that's the roll-in. Good stuff. I'm going back next spring (I hope) on a road trip. You know, disguise it as a reason for the wife, kid and I to see grandpa out there and I might happen to take a bike along with me...

·
1,838 Posts
Yep. A few miles west of GJ. And technically...the trails in the photos are not "Fruita" trails. They are just south of Mack and Loma, but about 11 years ago Fruita started claiming them. It was quite the scandal...I kid, I kid.

It's a nice place to be as long as it's not raining and you are on your bike.

Brock...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have really good friends who live four miles from the main trailhead. Free lodging in Fruita is a wonderful thing. Portage down to Horsethief is insane.

Did you do the shuttle up to Hazard County in Moab?

·
GEAUX TIGERS!!!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oregon said:
I have really good friends who live four miles from the main trailhead. Free lodging in Fruita is a wonderful thing. Portage down to Horsethief is insane.

Did you do the shuttle up to Hazard County in Moab?
Yeah, we caught a shuttle at, I believe it was called Chili Pepper Bike Shop, and rode in this jam packed 1970 converted VW Van up to the top of Hazard County. The next time you go to Fruita let me know.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.