Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sgltrak said:
Nice pix. Really makes me want to get out of the snow here in FC and get over there for some riding. Did you guys do the whole Porcupine Loop from town on your SS'ers?
well, we left our campsite, which was about 5 miles up the canyon, at about 2 (we didnt realize how late it was). by the time we made it to the trailhead, it was getting dark and cloudy so we turned back. bummer, eh?

·
slow
8,157 Posts
That is a big ride on a SS. Good thing you turned around. The first time I rode Porcupine a friend's wife dropped him, my brother-in-law and myself off at the trailhead about an hour before sunset. Not knowing the trail, we were told it was all downhill and assumed it would be a quick descent back to camp at the river. We summited near dark and then a couple of flat tires had us out well after dark. Brother-in-law had prescription sunglasses, so was now riding blind. None of us had ever ridden it and we did almost the entire trail in the dark, and with out even a flashlight. Ended up walking quite a bit of it and got back to camp about 11:00 and the wives were a bit freaked out. Next time we rode it, in the daylight, we were surprised at how much exposure there was on the trail. Glad we didn't fall off the edge in the dark.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sgltrak said:
That is a big ride on a SS. Good thing you turned around. The first time I rode Porcupine a friend's wife dropped him, my brother-in-law and myself off at the trailhead about an hour before sunset. Not knowing the trail, we were told it was all downhill and assumed it would be a quick descent back to camp at the river. We summited near dark and then a couple of flat tires had us out well after dark. Brother-in-law had prescription sunglasses, so was now riding blind. None of us had ever ridden it and we did almost the entire trail in the dark, and with out even a flashlight. Ended up walking quite a bit of it and got back to camp about 11:00 and the wives were a bit freaked out. Next time we rode it, in the daylight, we were surprised at how much exposure there was on the trail. Glad we didn't fall off the edge in the dark.
yeah id only done it once before so I was a little unsure, so we both agreed to turn back. such a hard thing to do after all the work getting up there, oh well.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Sorry for the thread hijack but...

...thumper. is that your FJ?? How do you like it??
Cheers,
miSSionary

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
miSSionary said:
...thumper. is that your FJ?? How do you like it??
Cheers,
miSSionary
Yeah - it's mine. I really like it. Very utilitarian and works well with toys hanging off of it. Everythings great except for a few minor drawbacks; very large blindspot areas for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.