Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided recently to 'upgrade' my wheels to a lighter wheelset, which turned out to be quite a project just in the purchasing end of things....Today I finally received all the ingredients to make it happen! But first here is a what I have currently and also what I'm putting on, I'll try to get some pics going to add the visual effects soon.

current: (wow I just realized I flunked math!! I had this at 4405g...when it is 4505g..wow thats classic!)
Total weight: 4505g, Front: 2101g Rear: 2404g

DT Swiss 340 hubs w/ 470 rims, 15mm TA Front
Tubed
XT cassette 11-34
Centerlock XT rotors
Nevagal 2.2
SM8 2.1

New:
2010 American Classic 29er MTB Tubeless wheelset w/ 15MM TA conversion 1600g
Formula R1 rotors 2x 99g
XTR 952 12-34 233g
Stan's notubes....?
S-works Captain 2.0 Rear 630g
S-works Purgatory 2.2 Front 670g

I must confess that as much as I wanted to proclaim tireless research in finding the perfect set of wheels to do this with (with my only real requirements were lighter, wider, reliable, and most of all tubeless specific wheels).... But it really came down to a 'smokin' price on a barely used AM set that came up in the BST...that was the pebble that started it all and as most things that start like that it snowballed into what you see with following up with the right tires for my conditions PNW, wider rims, lighter rotors and cassette and going tubeless....fingers crossed I think the total loss should be around the 2lbs mark, which would be outstanding!

Other vital data: 6' 2" 195lbs, former 'old' school DHer who is just happy to get out and ride the trails...no more racing for me, I got nothing more to prove just want to have fun...
Bike: Pivot 429 Large

Ok- completed installation- the result IMO is fantasic...of course still need a good hammering yet! But a mini ride in the neighborhood was quite noticeable, one of the stand out thing I noticed was the flick factor in change of direction and I can't wait to hit the trai!l
The Results:

Front complete weight: 1634g
Rear complete weight: 1938g

Total complete weight: 3572g

which is a net loss of 932g, nearly meeting my 2lbs goal!!

Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Can I Borrow Some Style?
281 Posts
You are killing me with that fender.

That being said, your bike looks great! Stoked to hear you dropped two pounds off that thing. I like the super tall flanges on those hubs...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vortechcoupe said:
How are they "tubeless" come with a rim strip? etc..?? That red hub looks nice!!
I think its because they have the bead hook?? I don't know exactly, but I will tell you they mounted up soo easy- I really liked that.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JeroenK said:
Nice result. If your trails are not littered with sharp rocks, you could mount a Notubes Raven 2.2 on the back, which would lighten things even more, at little expense of traction.
Agreed...not too many sharp rocks, mostly round ones...I have a Maxxis Aspen en route with a Ignitor front that could be an option too....but I was looking to equal or gain traction/performance and loose weight...so I'm exited to see how the Sworks work..I could tell the rolling resistance was greatly improved of the nev/sb8 almost instantly..

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vortechcoupe said:
I see on AC website they list the rim at 26mm wide. That is nice even if it's the outer width which i assume it is.

Also says they come with 25mm tape and valve stem. Retail price?
Yeah...I wish I would have measured the ID before I mounted them up...oh well..
Mine came with tape and stems....I believe retail is $780?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Sweet looking 2010 AC wheels!!!! Those look to be perfect XC rims. And I want, I want.

I know the outer rim wall measurement of the new AC is 26mm. I would be curious to know what the inner rim wall measurement is. The new Crest from NoTubes also look chic with the inner rim wall measurement bumping up to 21mm from the Arch which has 19mm. The Flow, for reference, is 22.6mm wide (inner rim wall measurement). I like that deep 22mm AC rim measurement as well. What's not to like? Better footprint with the wider rim, and ability to build a stiff wheel with the deep rim and AC hub.:thumbsup:

Very nice on a JET 9 - black or white frame.

BB

·
There's always next year.
877 Posts
Great to see another 429 in action. Love mine! The single best upgrade I've made was to upgrade the wheelset to something nice and light (I9s) It really turned the bike into a beast that climbs and has helped in the tight stuff for me.

One quick question-- is the Fox up front @ 120mm? If so, how have you liked it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
padrefan1982 said:
Great to see another 429 in action. Love mine! The single best upgrade I've made was to upgrade the wheelset to something nice and light (I9s) It really turned the bike into a beast that climbs and has helped in the tight stuff for me.

One quick question-- is the Fox up front @ 120mm? If so, how have you liked it?
Yes, Fox f29 FIT RLC 120mm...and so far its great and matches up with the rear nicely...I did move one of the HS spacer on top to put the bars back to a lower position.

I noticed something today with the rear shock...Boost valve rp23 is making quite a sucking sound...which sounds like its blown to me. Either way I'm gone tomorrow to putting the hammer down and see how these wheels roll....

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Is 630g the actual weight on your S-Works Captain 2.0 2Bliss? Specy lists it at 595....

Reason I ask - mid- December, I picked up a Control 2Bliss Captain 2.0 and it weighed 670 with the plastic card and zip tie, right off the rack, on my LBS's scale.

Nice wheelset though -

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.