Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Well I passed on the 07 Trek Fuel Ex 8 a few weeks ago, I really wanted the newer rear suspension style.

I just found an 08' Trek Fuel Ex 9 in medium (I'm about 5'9" so I think that would be perfect) from a local guy. He was asking $2,000 but I made a lower offer - what do you guys think a fair price for this bike is?

Any upgrades you guys can think to do off hand, would like to order the components and have them for a weekend install :)

Thanks,

Rex

·
Registered
487 Posts
With enough googling, you should be able to find the specs for that bike. I do remember that trek’s website keeps an archive of previous models.

At that point, you will know what the bike should have if it is still bone stock. And unless there have been some upgrades, I think it’s hard to justify $2K. I guess maybe if it is in beautiful, mint condition.

I remember a couple of months back my LBS had ’09 models for $2499 with Red Shield purchase. I think it was a couple of hundred bucks more without the extended warranty.

Above all, you want to look at the condition of the bike. A lot of riding can happen in roughly 2 years. There are a couple of threads in this forum on inspecting a used bike. There’s a lot to look for. IMO, there’s almost as many “inspection points” on a bike as there are on a car.

And at least with a car there’s carfax, an odometer reading, service history…etc. Then again, you don’t have to smog a bike.

If you’re buying from craigslist, try to find out how long he’s been posting that ad. If it’s been sitting on there for awhile, he could be high balling the price because he doesn’t need to sell it right away.

Good luck, though. Buying used stuff can be stressful and risky, and those are a couple of the reasons why I was willing to pay a premium at an LBS.

I’m sure some of the more seasoned buyers will chime in with much more useful info.

·
Can't feel my legs
852 Posts
I cant think of anything on that bike that would need to be upgraded. If you do get the bike, ride it for a couple of days, and it will tell you what it needs to fit you and your riding style. Seat, tires, stem, handlebars, and pedals are examples of things you may want to replace, but you won't know until you ride it.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Assuming this spec sheet is accurate, you should need to do absolutely nothing to get underway:

Fuel EX 9™
Frameset
Sizes 15.5, 17.5, 18.5, 19.5, 21.5"

Frame Alpha Red Aluminum w/R1i Trail Tuned Suspension, ABP pivot, Full Floater, Aluminum EVO Link, Hi/Lo chainstays, oversized sealed bearings, 120mm rear wheel travel

Front Suspension Fox Talas RL w/air pressure, travel, rebound, lockout, alloy steerer, 90-130mm

Rear Shock Fox Float RP23 w/3 position tunable Pro Pedal, custom tuned

Wheels Bontrager Race Lite

Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26x2.2/2.25"; 120 tpi, folding

Drivetrain
Shifters SRAM X-9, 9 speed w/MatchMaker
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-0
Crank Shimano Deore XT 44/32/22
Cassette SRAM PG970 11-32, 9 speed
Pedals n/a
Components
Saddle Bontrager Race Lite
Seat Post Bontrager Race Lite
Handlebars Bontrager Race Lite, 40mm rise, 31.8mm
Stem Bontrager Race X Lite, 7 degree, 31.8mm
Headset Cane Creek S-3 w/cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Avid Juicy 7, hydraulic disc; 185mm rotors (160 mm rear rotor on 15.5, 17.5, 18.5" sizes)

For a less jacked up version of this spec sheet, click here.

The bike retailed for $3400 new.. I've found a few sweet 08s for as low as $1800 so it sounds like you're in the hunt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts