Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had some issues with my Kind headsets creaking in the past at the interface between the top cap and the bearing race so I had pretty much sworn off of using them for long travel single crown forks. I know there have been some discussions about this in the past on the turner board and I think that most people that had these issues had moved over to hope headsets?

Well I just got a DHR frame and it came in a bit quicker than I thought it would so now I'm trying to figure out which headset I should get. So to those of you who have dhr's and are running king headset, do you have any issues or did the double crown fork get rid of the problems?

And to those of you running the hope headsets are they holding up for you?

of course the couch shot of the new frame and a shot of this killer head tube!!!

Attachments

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
I can speak for Hope but not for King and I don't have a DHR, but Ive spent allot of time researching products over various forums and such and future builds! So this isn't a brand exercise or pooing on one or the other, its about what works, hard getting clear info on this in the DH world though, its very opinion based and not supported by a lean in either direction for every one who says its the best buy this one someone comes back with it creaks or is a POS hard to know if accurate or just e bashing, I lean on the side of e bashing from them mostly:D !

Headsets imo are an issue though in some ways, in both 1.5 and 1/18th depending on rig!
DHR or DH bike for me!

For me I want as low a stack or hand position in relation to my bar stem setup as possible while maintaining a slack geo wide bar short stem and this is where it becomes a problem!

I won't use a std King above a PIKE for me, unless it is 1.5, but then not on a DH bike, looking for low a stack height as possible!

Which sort of rules out the Hope in 1/18th though they have updated since my one, its now lower on the bottom and especially the top! Mine has been bullet proof and still smooth! but its taller than the King and the CC 110

But its been through hell and back and still like new I'm very impressed with how the Hope HS has treated me its all stainless and the extra stack height suits my geo on the RFX, and I wouldn't hesitate ti buy another one for any other SC bike I own, first choice for me, but not on triples bum.

Even in the new 1.5std reducer sets problems seem to be the bearings quality etc this could be maintenance I dunno but lots of up and down opinions here, bigger should be better but whats marketed and whats actual I dunno, I'd def go Hope in 1.5, but youre , 1/18th CC110 would be my pick right now, DHR justify's the quality and cost of a high as possible headset imo, might be some other ops out there, just my thoughts!

·
~~~~~~~~
5,923 Posts
nice shane! what size did you get?

my king HS with boxxer does sound a little bit creaky, not ready to blame the headset and it isn't really bothering me.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's a medium 08. I plan on moving almost all of the parts over from the Highline and putting the 06 small Highline frame up for sale.

Only real choices are the headset and the chainguide and possibly some shorter cranks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased the Hope 1 1/8" for my new DHR but when it arrived I decided the cups are too thin for the abuse it will receive. The fork crown race is also split aluminum. Great seals though.
Go-Ride (where I purchased the frame ) recommended the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro, it has a deep cup to better distribute the forces and uses the Cane Creek patented angular bearings with split lock ring to keep things tight. It also has a stainless one piece fork crown race & 10 year warranty.
You should be able to find them for $89 on-line.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Toddmac1 said:
I purchased the Hope 1 1/8" for my new DHR but when it arrived I decided the cups are too thin for the abuse it will receive. The fork crown race is also split aluminum. Great seals though.
Go-Ride (where I purchased the frame ) recommended the FSA Orbit Extreme Pro, it has a deep cup to better distribute the forces and uses the Cane Creek patented angular bearings with split lock ring to keep things tight. It also has a stainless one piece fork crown race & 10 year warranty.
The split crown race is one of its best features, imo another reason I suspect that eliminates creaking, run a facing tool on the crown of your fork and you will see what I mean!

I had a King on my RFX 170mm 66rc2x with all the same comps, creaked like crazy so much I thought my frame was cracked somewhere, I swapped and faced everything had a thread that went on for months about it, the Hope is in no way under built to take abuse, SC long travel forks have had the most issues with this and the Hope totally eliminated it for me! check the two side by side, I have no comparison, I had two Kings [4 in total Cks] still have one on the Spot and Hope RFX, if ever one was built for DH it was the Hope, the King looks like a roadie HS in comparison inside and out, I'm not knocking the King that's just a fact!
Only issue for me is stack height!

However agree on the FSA Orbit Ive not found too many bad reviews on that one, must add it to the spreadsheet data base info and check stack dimensions:thumbsup:

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toddmac1 said:
This looks like it might be a good option. I'll put it on the short list. The only bike I have right now that is not running a king headset is the Highline and it has, you guessed it, a 1.5->1-1/8 reducer FSA orbit extreme pro. It's about 2 years old and I have not had any issues with it but I was not sure their regular 1-1/8 headsets had a good rep. I think I remember hearing a while back about a lot of people having issues with the fsa headsets but can't find the info. I wish people still wrote reviews in the review section of mtbr, the it would be a lot easier to find. I looked at the review section and only 6 people total had reviewed the fsa...

·
Registered
787 Posts
another go-ride recommendation, fsa all stainless, very deep cups. running strong with no problems all season. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a King on my DHR. No problem with Boxxer and BETD aftermarket top crown. Switched to 888 and the thing creaks, comes loose, and is generally a pain in the ass. Liberal coatings of loctite seem to have temporarily solved the problem but it's on my shortlist of components to change out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,061 Posts
Toddmac1 said:
That's what I use (the 1.5 orbit extreme pro), but it sounds odd that the angular bearings are patented by CC, as FSA has been using them for many years, if anything I'd think it's the other way aruond.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MW that bike is sick man. I have seen some pics of it before and it's put together very well. That CC 110 has a great write up on their site and certainly seems to be a top quality item.

·
Flyin Canine
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey TA, I'm not sure I wanna be the guinea pig on the this area of the bike, but if you want low stack height it might be hard to beat the crank bros directset. 10mm lower stack and 10.5mm top stack and it's only 66 grams. That's about 40g lighter than the fsa orbit extreme pro and king alu and about 160g lighter than a king steelset. Damn. Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.crankbrothers.com/directsets_sagec.php

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Toddmac1 said:
I p
If they recommend the Extreme Pro, Would the Pig DH not also work? Stack height is only 2mm more. I have had both and found the Pro to be much more solid than the Orbit, tho the Orbit is certainly a great HS.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,061 Posts
shanedawg said:
hey TA, I'm not sure I wanna be the guinea pig on the this area of the bike, but if you want low stack height it might be hard to beat the crank bros directset. 10mm lower stack and 10.5mm top stack and it's only 66 grams. That's about 40g lighter than the fsa orbit extreme pro and king alu and about 160g lighter than a king steelset. Damn. Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.crankbrothers.com/directsets_sagec.php
Another crank brothers winner.

Here are the reviews so far (several people have reported splitting the cups on the forums);

Extremely difficult to install. I'm using a Park headset press and it just won't go in straight. I've used several headsets from cane Creek and King without a single hiccup.
its summer and it has rust on bearing races,I thought stainless didnt rust,not happy with cust. service
Have used this headset for several weeks now. Got it because my lbs gave it a little cheaper than the King headset. I have not had any problems and it works more than fine for my commuter bike. However, I am not sure about the bearings. For the money, they don't seem to be a true cartridge bearing. The instructions say you can spray them with wd40.
(WD40? WTF?)

Well, I have not actually used this headset yet. I just got it, and it looks sweet!

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Jayem said:
That's what I use (the 1.5 orbit extreme pro), but it sounds odd that the angular bearings are patented by CC, as FSA has been using them for many years, if anything I'd think it's the other way aruond.
Aheadset owned the original patent, Cane Creek bought them & King skirts around it by not offering the split compression ring.

Some interesting info.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/27308/Cane-Creek-puts-stop-to-FSA-Aheadset-manufacture

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/1353.html

Patent expires in 2010 so I wouldn't be surprised if a new King popped up then.
Just like Bullseye splined cranks & Shimano.

The HOPE 1 1/8" is a really nice headset, I just question it's durability for DH use. I may be wrong though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Jayem said:
It is not the bearings, it is the top compression ring (collet clamp) that is part of the 'aheadset' patent that CC owns.

BTW, FSA's parent co is 'TH industries'....you will see this printed on many CC headset bearings (and FSA's obviously).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.