Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching the web and this forum and have narrowed my choice of platform rack down to:

Rocky mounts SPLITRAIL LS PLATFORM HITCH RACK: $400 (sale)
Kuat NV BASE 2.0 $425 (dealer we bought wife’s bike from)
Kuat Sherpa 2.0 $370 (dealer we bought wife’s bike from

The splitrail and NV base seem to have their positive and negatives but doesn’t seem that one jumps out of me more than the other. The Sherpa seems like a good deal since I would be removing or moving it to the wife’s car and it is light. We both ride mountain bike with 29 inch wheels and don’t have any plans to ride fat tire bikes. Stability and quality is key, as we will be doing some road trips. Opinions and insight is very welcome, also I cant sell the 1up to my wife.
Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
My wife and I have had a 2-bike Kuat NV 2.0 for a few years now. We’ve used it fur everything from road bikes to FS plus bikes. Super easy to load the bikes, very secure & solid ratcheting arms.

I rarely leave it on the Jeep when not actually using it, so I appreciate that it’s not overly heavy or awkward to take on & off.

Have considered getting the 2-bike add-on but that’s pretty pricey.

Have had a couple customer service experiences with Kuat so far and the company has been top-notch both times. No complaints there.

Only downside I can see is that with my Wrangler (even with a hitch extender) I cant get the tailgate open very far to access the back end. Basically just enough to reach my helmet, hydration pack and a floor pump. Even with the bikes off the rack and it dropped to the down position. But otherwise, we’ve lived the Kuat NV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
One thing you should consider is storing them.

Where will you store the rack? Will it fold flat against a wall? If it protrudes, then what?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.