Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a hell of a time picking tires and wheels for my project. This is my first 29er and I am planning on using it primarily for getting around town, and some light dirt road / super mellow trail action. Absolutely nothing where I'd need a full knobby tire... I want something fast rolling with just a bit of grip on dirt is all I need.

Out of everything I've seen the Nanoraptors look like the ideal tread. I wish they were just a bit wider though.

Kenda SB8... how come they don't come in a 29er 2.3? Lame.

Schwalbe Big Apples... man... this tire is really calling me even though it isn't really a dirt tire at all. Everyone I have talked to says they are super fun to ride. And really, this bike is going to get used mostly on pavement anyways.

Rims: Salsa Semi or Delgado seem to have a nice shape / weight. Also looking at Stan's ZTR Flow. I don't want narrow rims.

Assuming I go with wire bead tires, are any of the above selections prone to problems with ghetto tubeless or Stans? Why hasn't UST caught on for 29ers?

I don't want super light weight weenie stuff.

I don't absolutely "need" to go tubeless, but I'd prefer it.

Are there any other options I should consider? Thanks in advance and happy new year!

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Consider the Salsa Gordo with some WTB WeirWolf 2.55 LTs. The WeirWolfs really aren't a true 2.55 - but they do measure out at 2.35 (60mm) on a Gordo. The WW rolls well and has the volume you are looking for.

If you go the tubeless route - Stans Flows are fine. The Geax Saguaro is a UST tire, new for 2009. I don't know how they wear, but the original, non-tubeless version wore like iron. Not quite as big as the WeirWolf - but pretty close.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
1) Why tubeless? Doesn't seem necessary for described riding.
2) Semi's and Delgado's still not currently available to my knowledge. So, try the flows. The WTB Trail 29er is also sufficiently wide and probably cheaper.
3) Many many tires are literally not available in wire beads. Check that out. Nano's are.
4) Try the Nano's- they're good tires.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wheels and tires should be the toughest descision. I once read in a motorcycle road racing chassis setup book that, ideally, you pick the best tire for the job and build the rest of the bike around them.

I love the Big Apples and am currently planning on building up some Gordos to run them on.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
AW_ said:
If that doesn't preclude the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, they would be my recommendation. They absolutely fly on pavement, the 2.4's are one of the highest volume 29" tires, and they have surprisingly good grip off road too. They work well tubeless, but the casing is on the thin side (which probably contributes to the speed/ride quality) so aggressive riding on obstacle strewn trails can result in tears.

Go with the Flows if you want a wide rim that works well ghetto tubeless.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
AW_ said:
I'm having a hell of a time picking tires and wheels for my project. This is my first 29er and I am planning on using it primarily for getting around town, and some light dirt road / super mellow trail action. Absolutely nothing where I'd need a full knobby tire... I want something fast rolling with just a bit of grip on dirt is all I need.

Out of everything I've seen the Nanoraptors look like the ideal tread. I wish they were just a bit wider though.

Kenda SB8... how come they don't come in a 29er 2.3? Lame.

Schwalbe Big Apples... man... this tire is really calling me even though it isn't really a dirt tire at all. Everyone I have talked to says they are super fun to ride. And really, this bike is going to get used mostly on pavement anyways.

Rims: Salsa Semi or Delgado seem to have a nice shape / weight. Also looking at Stan's ZTR Flow. I don't want narrow rims.

Assuming I go with wire bead tires, are any of the above selections prone to problems with ghetto tubeless or Stans? Why hasn't UST caught on for 29ers?

I don't absolutely "need" to go tubeless, but I'd prefer it.

Are there any other options I should consider? Thanks in advance and happy new year!
Just how wide of a casing/tread to you want for all the pavement and very light and mellow trail duty you will be riding?

The Nanoraptors mounted up on a wide rim such as a Delgado Disc, a Velocity Blunt, a Flow - or any rim in the 28mm - 30mm width provides a very nice wide Nanoraptor of 54-55mm when mounted tubeless Sure, the same rim will be around 60mm for a Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 or 57mm for a Racing Ralph 2.25 - but do you really need the knobs and the high cost of a Ralph? I have both tires and actually do a lot of training on pavement with my 29"ers on a 28 mile round trip paved bike trail. I also have the Big Apples in 2.0 and 2.35. All of these are great tires. Beware that the 2.4 Racing Ralph will not fit in the rear of every frame - so make sure your frame can take those huge volume tires in the rear. I run the 2.4 up front and the 2.25 in the rear on my Dos Niner. The Big Apples are great urban tires with a nice safety reflector strip which helps if you will be commuting in dark hours. But they are not much good off road - at all - unless you are riding on the beach.:thumbsup:

I have to recommend the one tire that makes the most sense for what you mention - the WTB Nanoraptor. Cost, weight, volume, tread - that I challenge you to wear out (I don't think it is possible), converts to tubeless and is more than enough for your light and mellow off pavement rides. You'll save about $20 in cost over the Ralphs and in my opinion, roll a lot better on the pavement. Why buy over $50 knobby tires just to wear out the tread on pavement? The Nano's will not suffer tread wear on the pavement that you will ever notice out on the trail. That's the tire I would reach for to meet all of the needs you list in your post.

BB

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike Brown said:
1) Why tubeless? Doesn't seem necessary for described riding.
You're right - absolutely not necessary - just figured "why not"? I have tubeless on my other bike and think it is superior for many reasons. I am thinking Nanoraptors are where I should start. Thanks for the advice.

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BruceBrown said:
Just how wide of a casing/tread to you want for all the pavement and very light and mellow trail duty you will be riding?
Ok, light and mellow trails to me, means this is a rigid bike, so buffed trails and gravel roads that lead to the middle of nowhere are ok but if it is truly gnarly or steep then I am going to take my suspension bike with dh tires. Just something with a little bit of tread that allows me to corner on dirt.

And in general... I think a wider footprint / profile is better. Big volume will help cushion things a bit (this is a rigid bike).

BruceBrown said:
The Nano's will not suffer tread wear on the pavement that you will ever notice out on the trail. That's the tire I would reach for to meet all of the needs you list in your post.
Sometimes I just have to talk it out until it makes sense.

Thank you (and everyone else too) for the advice and ideas, I appreciate it.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
AW_ said:
Ok, light and mellow trails to me, means this is a rigid bike, so buffed trails and gravel roads that lead to the middle of nowhere are ok but if it is truly gnarly or steep then I am going to take my suspension bike with dh tires. Just something with a little bit of tread that allows me to corner on dirt.

And in general... I think a wider footprint / profile is better. Big volume will help cushion things a bit (this is a rigid bike).

Sometimes I just have to talk it out until it makes sense.

Thank you (and everyone else too) for the advice and ideas, I appreciate it.
Since you are running rigid, you could certainly pair some tires together such as the Nano in the rear and the WW or Racing Ralph 2.4 up front. I see the WW on sale for $34.98 on the internet. That kind of combo is pretty standard for rigid bikes.

BB

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Same boat, same indecisiveness

Totally feel you on this topic, AW. I think the Salsa Gordo is a trendy solid choice. It's expensive, would I be alone in thinking the gordo is over its actual value; I read a post where the MTBR member said something about "paying $50 for a sticker" because the Gordo is twice the price of other equally good, wide, stiff rims. I, too, have been battling what 29er setup: hub, rim, tire, for quite some time.

The Halo freedom disc is top brass from the research I've made. 28 height, 28 width (Syncros DS28 downhill rim the same???), deep v profile, removable stickers, black or white rim, stiff, durable (the last two traits, aren't these boasted about on every rim and every offering from manufacturers? It's overused like the word "compliant" is in the road bike jargon.

29" setup I currently ride is an Atomlab GI SS disc hubset with Salsa Delgados and WTB Nanoraptor 2.1s. 36h, 4 cross spoke pattern. The one thing my pacman 29er rigid frame has is width allowance...3.0 tires could probably fit out back. Wide rims are wanted, but only if wide tires are available. To date, there is no wide urban assault 29er tire. The big apple looks like a commuter tire (it is specifically designed as one with the reflective strip) and I want a more aggressive tread pattern with the balloon tire profile and not have it cheesy (i.e. flames going down the sidewall or flames in the tread pattern). I've already asked MAXXIS both on MTBR and direct email to their corporate to design a 2.4-2.5+ Holy Roller in 29er size. It'd be an instant hit. They already make 20, 24 and 26 sizes in 2.2 and 2.4. In essence, think of a Racing Ralph with an inverted BMX tread semi-slick. If priced under $40, you have a 1st place winner and my $80. - illnacord

p.s. Happy New Years 2009!!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
+1 for being in the same boat. Currently running Rampages F/R but not getting near the amount of serious off road time I had imagined (or any, for that matter). Most of my riding is pavement on the way to a SMALL section of trail in a nearby city park. Fully rigid so I was going to go WW F / Nano R but I might just try Nanos on both. I dunno, its a little odd to ride rigid but then worry about getting cush from a tire...

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the Salsa rims do seem a bit spendy. If they are truly that bad ass, then ok, but for that price IMO they need to be at the top of their game.

Are you pretty happy with your Nanos on pavement? I take it you just want something a little bigger and/or potentially faster rolling like the Holy Roller 2.4?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
To AW: I think a lot of people buying salsa gordos are not actually buying them because they do well running low pressure (they apparently do from feedback) off roading but because they look good (the sticker comment for one) and make tires wider and fatter! So the fact I am after the Holy Roller aesthetic in a 2.4 is really for looks and function, looks more than anything because the Nano does roll ok (feedback overwhelmingly confirms they roll fast on tarmac and tread is durable, fairly lightweight, in fact the Nanoraptor according to Gary Fisher was the first 29er MTB tire ever mass produced, made for the sponsored riders on the racing team) on tarmac and runs at 65 psi solid. The frame can fit fat tires and I want the fattest tire with an efficient tread pattern that is lightweight and made to be pumped to 60+ lbs. AW, you'll do fine with the nano 2.1's for urban - for now - until a company steps up and fills that niche.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You might also want to check out the Halo Twin Rail tires. Similar "sunken tread" design as the Holy Roller, just a little skinnier. They look interesting and have garnered good reviews from the few that seem to be riding them. Search through the forums for reports. Looks like that might also fit the street/light trail niche between a Big Apple and Nano.

Am I wrong or does it sound like a lot of folks just want a 2.4 Nano? For $30... ;)

·
A Surly Maverick
2,709 Posts

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Compared to what? There's no way you've ridden on Nano's and Crossmarks then :skep: The RRs roll no where near as good as the Crossmark and let's not even get started comparing it to the Nano. Also when you hit some wet anything the RR just plain sucks, the tyre compound is just too damn hard to try and make it a fast rolling tyre, despite the knob design.

miles e said:
If that doesn't preclude the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, they would be my recommendation. They absolutely fly on pavement, the 2.4's are one of the highest volume 29" tires, and they have surprisingly good grip off road too. They work well tubeless, but the casing is on the thin side (which probably contributes to the speed/ride quality) so aggressive riding on obstacle strewn trails can result in tears.

Go with the Flows if you want a wide rim that works well ghetto tubeless.
Agree with BB, the NANO is the tyre for you.
Oh and Bruce, Let me the first to say I've pretty much worn through my Nanos :D :p Use them as my first tyre on my RIP9 and then they got transfered tot he commuter, so they've seen a load of tarmac use and have paid - centre tread is almost down.

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Any one of you smarter folks know if the Nano and WW use the same rubber compound? I don't own a Nano so I can't go look at the numbers on the side.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.